Does hyper threading need dual-channel DDR RAM to work?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
work?
13 answers Last reply
More about does hyper threading dual channel work
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Jacko wrote:
    > Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
    > of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
    > work?

    HT does not require dual-channel RAM.
    --
    Cheers, Bob
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each other.
    You may enable either one without the other.

    --
    DaveW


    "Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message
    news:jqbdl01bso9529766atrviio5lt65aabnb@4ax.com...
    > Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
    > of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
    > work?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:53:54 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each other.
    >You may enable either one without the other.

    Then how do I know if dual-channel is working on my P4P800 Deluxe? I've
    already put in two sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 RAM chip. And
    the system is showing 1G RAM. But how do I know if they are
    dual-channeling?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message
    news:jqbdl01bso9529766atrviio5lt65aabnb@4ax.com...
    > Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
    > of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
    > work?

    I believe that it just needs a CPU capable of Hyperthreading. It will be
    enabled if the BIOS detects the correct type of CPU.

    regards
    Freddie
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Freddie Clark wrote:
    > "Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message
    > news:jqbdl01bso9529766atrviio5lt65aabnb@4ax.com...
    >> Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one
    >> stick of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper
    >> threading work?
    >
    > I believe that it just needs a CPU capable of Hyperthreading. It will
    > be enabled if the BIOS detects the correct type of CPU.

    And the OS (DOS, Win95, Win98, WinXP, Linux) is unimportant?

    >
    > regards
    > Freddie

    p
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:03:52 -0400, Jacko <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote:

    >Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
    >of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
    >work?

    Only if it's CAS 2, 3, or 4.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message
    news:1spel05acgpt5gii0mjo1q16fvm0mqs1uk@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:53:54 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each
    >>other.
    >>You may enable either one without the other.
    >
    > Then how do I know if dual-channel is working on my P4P800 Deluxe? I've
    > already put in two sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 RAM chip. And
    > the system is showing 1G RAM. But how do I know if they are
    > dual-channeling?

    What does your Manual say about Dual Channel?

    My A7N8X de luxe mobo states Dual Channel during POST. But the sticks have
    to be in the correct slots.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    version 1.24 should have a tab that tells you if it's dual channeling.

    "Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> ??? news:1spel05acgpt5gii0mjo1q16fvm0mqs1uk@4ax.com
    ???...
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:53:54 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
    >
    > >Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each
    other.
    > >You may enable either one without the other.
    >
    > Then how do I know if dual-channel is working on my P4P800 Deluxe? I've
    > already put in two sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 RAM chip. And
    > the system is showing 1G RAM. But how do I know if they are
    > dual-channeling?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:20:27 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
    <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:

    >http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    >
    >version 1.24 should have a tab that tells you if it's dual channeling.
    >
    I tried it out. Yes it says it's dual, but next to it, the value for
    Performance Mode is Disabled. What does it tell? The RAMs can do dual,
    but they are disabled? How to enable it?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:04:32 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
    <ramage@XXukaccountant.net> wrote:

    >
    >"Jacko" <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message
    >news:1spel05acgpt5gii0mjo1q16fvm0mqs1uk@4ax.com...
    >> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:53:54 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dual channel RAM operation and Hyperthreading are independent of each
    >>>other.
    >>>You may enable either one without the other.
    >>
    >> Then how do I know if dual-channel is working on my P4P800 Deluxe? I've
    >> already put in two sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 RAM chip. And
    >> the system is showing 1G RAM. But how do I know if they are
    >> dual-channeling?
    >
    >What does your Manual say about Dual Channel?
    >
    >My A7N8X de luxe mobo states Dual Channel during POST. But the sticks have
    >to be in the correct slots.

    The manual shows how to set up dual channel, but it doesn't show how to
    verify.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:31:38 -0400, Jacko <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:20:27 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
    ><bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    >>
    >>version 1.24 should have a tab that tells you if it's dual channeling.
    >>
    >I tried it out. Yes it says it's dual, but next to it, the value for
    >Performance Mode is Disabled. What does it tell? The RAMs can do dual,
    >but they are disabled? How to enable it?

    If you have the sticks in the correct sockets, you will have dual
    channel. On most ASUS boards, you put the sticks in the blue or the
    black sockets. If you put one stick in a blue and one stick in a
    black, you won't have dual channel.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Jacko,

    I think that performance value will only be on if your mobo is i875
    and refers to the PAT. Not 100% sure though. But mine says
    "disabled" also. ASUS's hyperpath's supposed to be somewhat close to
    intel's PAT.

    Jacko <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote in message news:<oenql0p91qbh28nb70nejt4osg6eri1nip@4ax.com>...
    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:20:27 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
    > <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    > >
    > >version 1.24 should have a tab that tells you if it's dual channeling.
    > >
    > I tried it out. Yes it says it's dual, but next to it, the value for
    > Performance Mode is Disabled. What does it tell? The RAMs can do dual,
    > but they are disabled? How to enable it?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I just ran the Intel utility that verifies your HyperThreading. At
    home, on my P4p800, it passes, but on the machine I built
    for the office, using a p4pe2-ex, it fails. I am running a Prescott
    chip on the one that fails.

    When I bought the chip, I did not realize that the MOBO would
    not use its capabilities, such as restricting the speed to 533 instead
    of 800 FSB.

    In the future, I'll try to do a better job of selecting the right
    MOBO/CPU combination. I bought the Prescott because it was at a
    good price.

    Is there a BIOS upgrade that will solve this Prescott / Hyper
    Threading issue ?

    Thanks,

    Louis

    - - - - - - -


    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:28:47 -0700, Guru wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:03:52 -0400, Jacko <Jacko@Bene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Does hyper threading need two DDR RAM to work? If I put just one stick
    >>of DDR RAM into a dual-channel capable motherboard, Will hyper threading
    >>work?
    >
    >Only if it's CAS 2, 3, or 4.
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus DDR RAM Dual Channel Motherboards