What Motherboard & CPU for Dual Processor PC

Adam

I'm getting ready to upgrade my current PC but it's
been almost 3 years since I built my last system, and
around 2 years since I stopped following technology. I
want to upgrade to Mid-High end AMD Dual Processor system
but I'm not sure what to get. I plan to only buy one
processor for now and put in a second when I get enough
money. My question is what dual processor motherboad and
what CPU should I get. I want a fast CPU but not
neccessarily the fastest. Basically I want the fastest one
I can get before the price launches up hundreds of
dollars. Ya know, the fastest for the best money. So
something under or close to $400 would be my guess. As far
a motherboards go I want one that is good and supports
dual processors. Any advice you can give is really
appreciated.
Oh, what is the major difference between the AMD
Athlon64 3200+ and an AMD XP 3200+? Is there a special
type of processor that is made for dual processing?

Thanks for all the help!!

SteveL

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&category=44941&item=3488191828&rd=1

1. www.tomshardware.com

2. www.extremetech.com

3. use www.google.com and search for hardware reviews

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"ADAM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to upgrade my current PC but it's
> been almost 3 years since I built my last system, and
> around 2 years since I stopped following technology. I
> want to upgrade to Mid-High end AMD Dual Processor system
> but I'm not sure what to get. I plan to only buy one
> processor for now and put in a second when I get enough
> money. My question is what dual processor motherboad and
> what CPU should I get. I want a fast CPU but not
> neccessarily the fastest. Basically I want the fastest one
> I can get before the price launches up hundreds of
> dollars. Ya know, the fastest for the best money. So
> something under or close to $400 would be my guess. As far
> a motherboards go I want one that is good and supports
> dual processors. Any advice you can give is really
> appreciated.
> Oh, what is the major difference between the AMD
> Athlon64 3200+ and an AMD XP 3200+? Is there a special
> type of processor that is made for dual processing?
>
> Thanks for all the help!!

"ADAM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> want to upgrade to Mid-High end AMD Dual Processor system
> but I'm not sure what to get. I plan to only buy one
> processor for now and put in a second when I get enough
> money. My question is what dual processor motherboad and
> what CPU should I get. I want a fast CPU but not
> neccessarily the fastest. Basically I want the fastest one
> I can get before the price launches up hundreds of
> dollars. Ya know, the fastest for the best money. So
> something under or close to $400 would be my guess.

Is that $400 per CPU, or for the MoBo + CPUs or MoBo + CPUs + RAM?

At $400 per CPU, the Opteron 244 or 246 would be your best performer. The
bonus is 64-bit capability when the software emerges, plus 32-bit
performance that leaves most others in the dust.

I went for the Arima Rioworks HDAMB MoBo. There are several others
available, depending on your specs and needs.

> Oh, what is the major difference between the AMD
> Athlon64 3200+ and an AMD XP 3200+? Is there a special
> type of processor that is made for dual processing?

The Athlon MP series and Opteron 2xx series are for dual processor systems.