Info on ASRock Motherboards

Hi group,

I touched on this subject yesterday but didn't receive the answer that I was
looking for. (Almost but not quite)

I purchased the ASRock K7VM2 Motherboard. It has 2 settings for its FSB; 100
and 133. I also purchased the AMD XP 2500 Processor with Fan,(Boxed set).
When the Processor has a FSB from 166, I will reach the 2500; but my new
motherboard only has a maximum of 133. Can I overclock it the extra 33
without thermal damage. AMD doesn't respond to my questions through email
and neither does ASRock, and I would like an answer. :)

I would appreciate any and all the help I can get

Thanks in advance

GL

If the motherboard ONLY has those two settings it seems
strange. You probably are not using the BIOS setting
properly/ Did you get a manual with the motherboard? Have
you read it? If you don't have the mobo manual, download
one...
ASRock -> About ASRock ... K7VM2. ASRock U-COP; DDR 266/200;
Integrated ProSavarage8 3DGraphic. 1 slot for AGP 4X/2X
universal. Supports both DDR and SDRAM memory ...
www.asrock.com/product/product_k7vm2.htm - 31k -
Cached - Similar pages

Products > AMDK7 Via > K7VM2 K7VM2 R3.0. ASRock U-COP;
Hybrid Booster - a safe overclocking feature; DDR 266/200;
Integrated ProSavarage8 3DGraphic. 1 slot for AGP 4X/2X
universal. ...
www.asrock.com/product/product_k7vm2_r3.htm - 30k -
Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.asrock.com ]

There is a multiplier that runs the CPU at some factor so
that it runs at the proper frequency, the AMD 2500 does not
run at 2500 MHz (2.5 GHz) but at a lesser clock speed.

AMD recommends only two mobo models for that CPU...from
ASRock
AMD AthlonT XP 2500+ (333 FSB)

Any Form Factor, Asrock.

Vendor Model Revision
Form Factor Chipset Bios
Asrock
K7S8XE
1.02 ATX SiS 748
AGP
DDR AMI
P1.20
07/17/2003
K7VT4-4X
1.02 ATX VIA KT333
AGP
DDR AMI
L1.1a
06/05/2003

In short you bought the wrong mobo. It took me a few
minutes to do the home-work you should have done.

"G L" <nospam@for.me> wrote in message
| Hi group,
|
| I touched on this subject yesterday but didn't receive the
answer that I was
| looking for. (Almost but not quite)
|
| I purchased the ASRock K7VM2 Motherboard. It has 2
settings for its FSB; 100
| and 133. I also purchased the AMD XP 2500 Processor with
Fan,(Boxed set).
| When the Processor has a FSB from 166, I will reach the
2500; but my new
| motherboard only has a maximum of 133. Can I overclock it
the extra 33
| without thermal damage. AMD doesn't respond to my
questions through email
| and neither does ASRock, and I would like an answer. :)
|
| I would appreciate any and all the help I can get
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| GL

begin 666 space.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

If you set the FSB to 133Mhz, the CPU FSB should be set to 266. However,
ASrock is stating that the 2500+ processor is NOT SUPPORTED by your K7VM2
motherboard.

More info:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/CPUSupport_K7VM2.htm

Y.

"G L" <nospam@for.me> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I touched on this subject yesterday but didn't receive the answer that I
was
> looking for. (Almost but not quite)
>
> I purchased the ASRock K7VM2 Motherboard. It has 2 settings for its FSB;
100
> and 133. I also purchased the AMD XP 2500 Processor with Fan,(Boxed set).
> When the Processor has a FSB from 166, I will reach the 2500; but my new
> motherboard only has a maximum of 133. Can I overclock it the extra 33
> without thermal damage. AMD doesn't respond to my questions through email
> and neither does ASRock, and I would like an answer. :)
>
> I would appreciate any and all the help I can get
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> GL

AMD agrees, wrong mobo.

| If you set the FSB to 133Mhz, the CPU FSB should be set
to 266. However,
| ASrock is stating that the 2500+ processor is NOT
SUPPORTED by your K7VM2
| motherboard.
|
| More info:

http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/CPUSupport_K7VM2.htm

| Y.
|
| "G L" <nospam@for.me> wrote in message
| > Hi group,
| >
| > I touched on this subject yesterday but didn't receive
the answer that I
| was
| > looking for. (Almost but not quite)
| >
| > I purchased the ASRock K7VM2 Motherboard. It has 2
settings for its FSB;
| 100
| > and 133. I also purchased the AMD XP 2500 Processor with
Fan,(Boxed set).
| > When the Processor has a FSB from 166, I will reach the
2500; but my new
| > motherboard only has a maximum of 133. Can I overclock
it the extra 33
| > without thermal damage. AMD doesn't respond to my
questions through email
| > and neither does ASRock, and I would like an answer.
:)

| > I would appreciate any and all the help I can get
| >
| > Thanks in advance
| >
| > GL

the Athlon XPs have some funny series. In this case the processor is
designed for 333 mh FSB (166 x 2) You also have to be carefull because
in some cases processors that have the same name are actually different
cores and require different voltages and frequencies. Take XP 2000+.
Some are toward the top of and older core and work with older
motherboards that have had the multiplier range extended. But a later
core XP 2000+ may or may not work with that board.