Problem with P4P800SE and USB2.0 HDD enclosure

Jimmy

I have a P4P800SE Board and just recently bought a "Go!Data" USB2.0 IDE HDD
enclosure for backups. from the instructions with the enclosure it is
supposed to be a plug and play with my OS (WIN XP Pro, no SPs), however it
is not being recognized.

When i go into device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controller, i have
listed:

- Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
- USB Composite Device
- USB Mass Storage Device
- USB Printing Support
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

I currently have connected through USB ports:
- A scanDisk Card reader for my digital camera
- A lexmark All in one Printer/Fax/Copy/Scan unit
- Logitech Wingman gamepad

For the listed - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller, i have an ! beside
it, implying

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) --To reinstall the
drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

When i try to install the USB2.0 drivers from my ASUS CD, i get a message
saying

"Windows XP USB2.0 Driver Installation
====================================

Please using Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you DO NOT
need to
install this driver, because they already contain software support for USB
2.0. "

Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed. I don't
understand why it is telling me that if i have SP1 installed i do not need
the Drivers, however i DO NOT have SP1 installed, meaning that I do need the
drivers installed, yet it won't let me???

At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?

TIA

Jimmy

Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing the
actual problem?

I personally do not want to install SP2. I do not need it (Other than this
little glitch) and from all accounts, i believe that SP2 will cause more
problems than benefits for me.

Regards,

"Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
> Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defau
lt.mspx

> jimmy wrote:
> > Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
> > because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed.
> > At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?

Paul

Splendid

In article <cjbre9$tu$1@news.storm.ca>, "jimmy"
<vwbossBRA@PANTIESgmail.com> wrote:

> Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing the
> actual problem?
>
> I personally do not want to install SP2. I do not need it (Other than this
> little glitch) and from all accounts, i believe that SP2 will cause more
> problems than benefits for me.
>

> Regards,

You could try connecting to WindowsUpdate, but it will probably offer
you SP2. Maybe one option would be to look around the Microsoft site
and see if SP1 is available as a CD, just like SP2. SP1 seems pretty
safe.

Normally, I would recommend the www.usbman.com site, but I still
cannot connect to it. Instead, I have to offer this archived copy of
the site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021208212648/www.usbman.com/USB+2+News.htm

Before there was SP1, there was a driver for USB2 offered as a
separate download. The above web page mentions these two files, but
the FTP directory these come from is for an ICH2 Southbridge. So,
maybe these will work or maybe they won't

1) Set up a restore point. This is to allow you to back out of
these drivers, if you don't like them, or if they don't
have an option to uninstall.
2) Install this one first. 204710 bytes.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv/USB2.0_5.1.266.0_WinXP_EHCI.exe

3) Install this one second. It is a quick fix file. 433906 bytes.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv/USB2.0_5.1.266.0_WinXP_QFE.exe

You can also search around http://downloadfinder.intel.com - I
don't see anything for 875/865 boards with ICH5. Search on "USB2".
There are listings for 845 boards, which use ICH4. But, the 1MB sized
installer for that one mentions a QFE as well, so it is unclear which
QFE is required - whether it would be the same one as above or not.

Also, your device manager entries with the four 24D2's, suggest
after the install of drivers above, you may want to delete
all USB stuff in Safe Mode, and let Windows reinstall the
drivers it now possesses.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030104112944/www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup+Device+Manager+Safe+Mode.htm

When you are finished, Device Manager should look like this:

Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
- Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
- Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- USB 2.0 Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

Note: I'm told Root Hubs only appear when stuff is plugged in,
so don't panic if not all the Root Hubs are there. The proof that
USB2 is there, is the "Standard Enhanced" entry.

You are taking a difficult path to getting USB2 functionality,
but as long as you have the Restore Point set up, and know
how to use it, then backing out of whatever mess occurs should
be easy :)

There is still a web page here, for ordering SP1a:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/ordercd.mspx

AFAIK, the SP2 CD is free. Even if you don't plan on using
it, you should still order it, and chip away at Microsofts
big pile of money :)

It is possible there is enough detail in Google, to trace
down which QFE prior to SP1/SP1a is required, along with a
driver, but don't hold your breath. The 875/865 chipset came
along sufficiently late in the process, to make pre-SP1
fixes questionable as a viable solution for your board -
but with a Restore Point, you can always try.

Having a backup of your system disk wouldn't hurt either.

HTH,
Paul

> "Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
> > Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
> >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defau
> lt.mspx
> >
> > jimmy wrote:
> > > Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
> > > because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed.
> > > At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bite the bullet and install SP2. You can order the SP2 cd from Microsoft
or if you're lucky you can find it in some stores. I have the P4P800se
running XP Pro with SP2 installed. My external usb 2.0 hard drive works
just fine.

jimmy wrote:
> Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing the
> actual problem?
>
> I personally do not want to install SP2. I do not need it (Other than this
> little glitch) and from all accounts, i believe that SP2 will cause more
> problems than benefits for me.
>

> Regards,
>

> "Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
>
>>Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defau
> lt.mspx
>
>>jimmy wrote:
>>
>>>Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
>>>because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed.
>>>At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?

Are you sure you didn't become a little bit special in your "rural
setting", you know all those people that actually install SP's make you
think ....
Better throw that USB2 toy in the waste basket and don't think about it
anymore.

BTW I have two of those External HDD Cases, both of a different brand,
that function perfectly in XP Home SP2.

But I can't sleep anymore, all the time thinking about "problems" that
will happen!

jimmy wrote:
> Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing the
> actual problem?
> I personally do not want to install SP2. I do not need it (Other than this
> little glitch) and from all accounts, i believe that SP2 will cause more
> problems than benefits for me.
> Regards,

You wont get USB2 support without SP1 or later... (and I don't think SP1 is
available from M$ anymore)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"jimmy" <vwbossBRA@PANTIESgmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing the
> actual problem?
>
> I personally do not want to install SP2. I do not need it (Other than
this
> little glitch) and from all accounts, i believe that SP2 will cause more
> problems than benefits for me.
>

> Regards,
>

> "Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
> > Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defau
> lt.mspx
> >
> > jimmy wrote:
> > > Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
> > > because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed.
> > > At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?

Thanks a million Paul for the detailed response.

Very much appreciated and informative.

Regards

> [...]
> but as long as you have the Restore Point set up, and know
> how to use it, then backing out of whatever mess occurs should
> be easy :)
>
> There is still a web page here, for ordering SP1a:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/ordercd.mspx
>
> AFAIK, the SP2 CD is free. Even if you don't plan on using
> it, you should still order it, and chip away at Microsofts
> big pile of money :)
>
> It is possible there is enough detail in Google, to trace
> down which QFE prior to SP1/SP1a is required, along with a
> driver, but don't hold your breath. The 875/865 chipset came
> along sufficiently late in the process, to make pre-SP1
> fixes questionable as a viable solution for your board -
> but with a Restore Point, you can always try.
>
> Having a backup of your system disk wouldn't hurt either.

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

The solution to your problem, is to install Service Pack 2.

jimmy wrote:
> I have a P4P800SE Board and just recently bought a "Go!Data" USB2.0
> IDE HDD enclosure for backups. from the instructions with the
> enclosure it is supposed to be a plug and play with my OS (WIN XP
> Pro, no SPs), however it is not being recognized.
>
> When i go into device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controller,
> i have listed:
>
> - Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> - Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> - Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> - Intel 82801ED USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
> - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
> - USB Composite Device
> - USB Mass Storage Device
> - USB Printing Support
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
> - USB Root Hub
>
> I currently have connected through USB ports:
> - A scanDisk Card reader for my digital camera
> - A lexmark All in one Printer/Fax/Copy/Scan unit
> - Logitech Wingman gamepad
>
> For the listed - Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller, i have an !
> beside it, implying
>
> "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) --To
> reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."
>
> When i try to install the USB2.0 drivers from my ASUS CD, i get a
> message saying
>
> "Windows XP USB2.0 Driver Installation
> ====================================
>
> Please using Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you
> DO NOT need to
> install this driver, because they already contain software support
> for USB
> 2.0. "
>
> Problem here is that i do not have any service packs on my OS, mainly
> because i live in a rural setting and do not have high speed. I don't
> understand why it is telling me that if i have SP1 installed i do not
> need the Drivers, however i DO NOT have SP1 installed, meaning that I
> do need the drivers installed, yet it won't let me???
>
> At this point, i cannot use the HDD enclosure at all.Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

jimmy wrote:
> Without installing the service pack, how would i go about addressing
> the actual problem?

You wouldn't.

Install the service pack.

> I personally do not want to install SP2.

Eh ?

> I do not need it (Other than this little glitch)

Of course you do - it fixes hundreds of security flaws, includes MASSES of
core operating system updates, a handy Firewall, and is a GOOD thing !

It's in YOUR interest to install it !

> and from all accounts, i believe that SP2
> will cause more problems than benefits for me.

Er, it will both fix the problem you are currently having, and the other
none-SP2 problems that you haven't encountered yet.

It shouldn't *cause* you any problems at all !

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Jimmi H wrote:
> Thanks a million Paul for the detailed response.
>
> Very much appreciated and informative.

Except that none of what he said, is actually relevent.

The correct solution to your problem, is to install Service Pack 2 - it's
that simple !