Hard Drive Installation

I have a troubleshooting question regarding hard drive
installation.

I have a Dell 1.8 GHz Pentium running Windows XP. The
computer came with 80 Gb hard drive. I am trying to
install a second hard drive as a slave drive and keep the
original drive as a master drive. New hard drive is Maxtor
250 Gb ATA/133 (6Y250P0) drive. I am using cable select
jumpers setting. I have also installed Windows SP1 and
updated my BIOS.

BIOS shows new hard drive as a slave drive with 250Gb
capacity. I used the vendor supplied disk to partitiion
the disk (as 250 Gb drive)at boot-up. All installation
went OK until Windows start-up. Windows come up with pope-
up message saying new hardware (6Y250P0)found and new disk
found. A new hardware wizard window comes up with a
message saying that can not install hardware "required
services are not installed".

I checked the disk management and it shows healthy disk
with 250Gb partition. Windows Explorer also finds a 250 Gb
hard drive. I am able to cpopy and delete the files from
new hard drive. However, every time I restart Windows, I
get the same message ".. New device found and
then .....can not install new hardware...".

The device manager shows yellow mark on this disk drive.
Under device manager_properties_driver, the messager says
code 28 (deveice driver not installed). Under driver
details, it shows only one driver PartMag.drv. For my
other hard drive (master) it shows PartMag.drv and
disk.drv.

I have tried many things without any success in getting
rid of the ".. New device found and then .....can not
install new hardware...". message. I am not sure about how
this will effect fture integrity of my data on this drive.

Any suggestions and help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Digen

Use the jumper settings on both drives, you assign the
master and slave. CS is a factory assembly-line speedup.
They can set all drives to CS and then just plug them in
without worrying about jumper settings on 10,000 drives a
week.

The drivers are the same, ATA/EIDE for both drives.

I think the Maxtor software is useless or worse. Use device
manager to remove the drive, reboot and use computer
management to partition the drive, right click My Computer,
select manage....

"Digenb Butala" <digenb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I have a troubleshooting question regarding hard drive
| installation.
|
| I have a Dell 1.8 GHz Pentium running Windows XP. The
| computer came with 80 Gb hard drive. I am trying to
| install a second hard drive as a slave drive and keep the
| original drive as a master drive. New hard drive is Maxtor
| 250 Gb ATA/133 (6Y250P0) drive. I am using cable select
| jumpers setting. I have also installed Windows SP1 and
| updated my BIOS.
|
| BIOS shows new hard drive as a slave drive with 250Gb
| capacity. I used the vendor supplied disk to partitiion
| the disk (as 250 Gb drive)at boot-up. All installation
| went OK until Windows start-up. Windows come up with pope-
| up message saying new hardware (6Y250P0)found and new disk
| found. A new hardware wizard window comes up with a
| message saying that can not install hardware "required
| services are not installed".
|
| I checked the disk management and it shows healthy disk
| with 250Gb partition. Windows Explorer also finds a 250 Gb
| hard drive. I am able to cpopy and delete the files from
| new hard drive. However, every time I restart Windows, I
| get the same message ".. New device found and
| then .....can not install new hardware...".
|
| The device manager shows yellow mark on this disk drive.
| Under device manager_properties_driver, the messager says
| code 28 (deveice driver not installed). Under driver
| details, it shows only one driver PartMag.drv. For my
| other hard drive (master) it shows PartMag.drv and
| disk.drv.
|
| I have tried many things without any success in getting
| rid of the ".. New device found and then .....can not
| install new hardware...". message. I am not sure about how
| this will effect fture integrity of my data on this drive.
|
| Any suggestions and help will be highly appreciated.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| -Digen

Thanks for your quick response.

I should have mentioned that I did tried Master/Slave
jumper setting. I also tried to format-partition using
diskmanager (computer management).

Do I need two drives PartMag.drv and disk.drv for both
drives? The original drive has these two drivers
associated with it.

Thanks,

-Digen

Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed in XP. If not, then XP will
have problems using the 230GB partition.