Sharing a com port across a network

I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
(machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable so
we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the cutter
is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a printer
but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com port
on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
connected remotely?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
9 answers Last reply
More about sharing port network

    COM Ports cannot be shared. You would need to create and run a program
    on the machine with the COM port with which a remote machine could
    communicate and to which the instructions for the cutting machine
    could be transferred acoss the network.

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:22:20 -0400, "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
    >(machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
    >machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable so
    >we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the cutter
    >is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a printer
    >but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
    >and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com port
    >on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
    >connected remotely?
    >
    >Thanks for any insight you can provide.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    How would I create such a program?

    "Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    > COM Ports cannot be shared. You would need to create and run a program
    > on the machine with the COM port with which a remote machine could
    > communicate and to which the instructions for the cutting machine
    > could be transferred acoss the network.
    >

    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:22:20 -0400, "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
    > >(machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
    > >machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable
    so
    > >we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the
    cutter
    > >is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a
    printer
    > >but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
    > >and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com
    port
    > >on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
    > >connected remotely?
    > >
    > >Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    > >

    > Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    exchange.
    > Peter R. Fletcher

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =---

    In the computer language of your choice! It would not be a trivial
    application.

    Another approach would be to modify the original cutter driver
    application to allow sequences of instructions to be written to a file
    and subsequently read back in and sent to the cutter when needed.
    Depending on exactly how the application works and is designed this
    might not be quite such a big deal to code. With this approach, you
    would run the application in "write to file mode" on the remote
    machine, transfer the instruction file across the network to the
    machine with the cutter attached, and then run the application in
    "live mode" from the file.

    I don't think that there is a solution to your problem that does not
    require access to the source of the cutter driver application and a
    substantial amount of programming.

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:56:13 -0400, "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >How would I create such a program?
    >
    >"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    >> COM Ports cannot be shared. You would need to create and run a program
    >> on the machine with the COM port with which a remote machine could
    >> communicate and to which the instructions for the cutting machine
    >> could be transferred acoss the network.
    >>

    >> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:22:20 -0400, "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
    >> >(machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
    >> >machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable
    >so
    >> >we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the
    >cutter
    >> >is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a
    >printer
    >> >but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
    >> >and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com
    >port
    >> >on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
    >> >connected remotely?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    >> >

    >> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    >exchange.
    >> Peter R. Fletcher

    >News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
    >Newsgroups
    >> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption
    >=---

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    Well that's not what I wanted to hear.

    Thanks for your help though!
    Buster

    > In the computer language of your choice! It would not be a trivial
    > application.
    >
    > Another approach would be to modify the original cutter driver
    > application to allow sequences of instructions to be written to a file
    > and subsequently read back in and sent to the cutter when needed.
    > Depending on exactly how the application works and is designed this
    > might not be quite such a big deal to code. With this approach, you
    > would run the application in "write to file mode" on the remote
    > machine, transfer the instruction file across the network to the
    > machine with the cutter attached, and then run the application in
    > "live mode" from the file.
    >
    > I don't think that there is a solution to your problem that does not
    > require access to the source of the cutter driver application and a
    > substantial amount of programming.
    >
    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:56:13 -0400, "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >How would I create such a program?
    > >
    > >"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    > >> COM Ports cannot be shared. You would need to create and run a program
    > >> on the machine with the COM port with which a remote machine could
    > >> communicate and to which the instructions for the cutting machine
    > >> could be transferred acoss the network.

    > >so
    > >cutter
    > >printer
    > >port

    > >> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    > >exchange.
    > >> Peter R. Fletcher

    > >News==----
    > >> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
    > >Newsgroups
    > >> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
    Encryption
    > >=---
    > >

    > Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    exchange.
    > Peter R. Fletcher

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =---

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:35:20 +0100, Peter R. Fletcher
    <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote:

    >In the computer language of your choice! It would not be a trivial
    >application.

    AKA... I don't have a clue! ;-)

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:52:43 -0500, "Blankman"
    <none@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Well that's not what I wanted to hear.
    >
    >Thanks for your help though!
    >Buster

    Do a google search. The below might be of interest. You might try
    mapping the appropriate drives on the computers, but not quite
    sure what you are wanting to do.

    http://www.traversix.com/ConnectivitySystem.html

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:14:26 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    Ballenger) wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:35:20 +0100, Peter R. Fletcher
    ><pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In the computer language of your choice! It would not be a trivial
    >>application.
    >
    >AKA... I don't have a clue! ;-)

    On the contrary! I have written low-level drivers for various bits of
    hardware under a number of OSes in the past. It could be done, but I
    didn't think that this approach was likely to be helpful to the OP,
    hence my offhand answer.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    There are network enabled devices which place a COM port directly on the
    network. Using a Windows device drive will "map" the networked COM port to
    a "virtual" COM port.

    Check out one such product:

    http://www.lavalink.com/products/ether_serial/prod_ether_serial_single_port_rs-232_db-9.html

    "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
    > (machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
    > machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable
    so
    > we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the cutter
    > is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a printer
    > but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
    > and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com
    port
    > on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
    > connected remotely?
    >
    > Thanks for any insight you can provide.

    You can use a program called TCPCom to shzre COM ports across a
    network.
    TCPCom is a utility that is designed to expose a serial port to a
    TCP/IP port on a network and it can also create "Virtual COM ports"
    that are really connections to a TCP/IP port.
    To share a serial port across a network, you would run TCPCom as a
    TCP/IP server opening up the physical COM port on the PC where the
    device is connected to the serial port that you want to share.
    In that same PC you would run another instance of TCPCom and set it up
    to create a "Virtual COM port" that connects as a TCP/IP client to the
    first instance of TCPCom (the server instance).
    You could then run TCPCom on other workstations in the same network
    and configure TCPCom to connect as a TCP/IP client to the "server
    instance" running in the PC where the device is connected to the COM
    port and also have it create a Virtual COM port.

    The Server instance of TCPCom will allow multiple client connections
    therfore you will be able to share the same physical COM port with as
    many workstations as you like and have all of them be able to
    communicate over the same physical COM port simultaneously.

    You would then run your serial communications software on both PCs and
    instead of opening the real COM ports, you would open the Virtual COM
    ports instead.
    You can download a fully functional demo copy of TCPCom from the
    following web page:
    http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html

    More detailed instructions on how to share com ports with TCPCom can
    be found in the on-line help for the program.

    wrote:

    >I've got a good one for ya. We're running a sign software on one machine
    >(machine A) that connects to a cutting machine via the COM port. This
    >machine is connected to another machine (machine B) by a crossover cable so
    >we can share files and hopefully cutting functions. The machine the cutter
    >is connected to (machine A) doesn't have the cutter installed as a printer
    >but rather the software actually looks for the connection at the com port
    >and loads the drivers upon being opened. Is there a way to share a com port
    >on machine A so I can tell my software on machine B that the cutter is
    >connected remotely?
    >
    >Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Comm Port Software Windows XP