  • Hardware
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 23, 2004 10:32:41 AM

I have a virus that I can not delete. If I uninstall
windows can I start my computer in dos mode and reinstall
windows?

More about : reinstalling win

June 23, 2004 1:52:52 PM

The Windows XP disk is a bootable disk, so forget dos mode. Just make sure
your BIOS is set up so that you can boot from your CD-ROM drive.

"bogey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a virus that I can not delete. If I uninstall
> windows can I start my computer in dos mode and reinstall
> windows?
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:20:29 AM

Greetings --

Formatting the hard drive to solve a virus problem is rather like
using an axe to trim one's fingernails. Sure, it'll probably get the
job done, but it's rather messy...., and almost always unnecessary.
What other corrective measures have you already attempted?

Because many of the newer viruses and worms can disable antivirus
applications whose definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one
or more of the free on-line scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp