Checking NVRAM ....

Paul

Splendid

Got a P4C800-E Deluxe board and noticed upon booting, the POST
indicates a message that say's, 'Checking NVRAM'. Upon the first (or
second) time the system booted, on the same line along side Checking
NVRAM, it would indicate something like 'OK!'. Now I don't get the
verification (OK)message anymore, system just continues to boot to
WinXP. Does this mean the NVRAM is no good (whatever NVRAM is?)
Thanks.

Paul wrote:

> Got a P4C800-E Deluxe board and noticed upon booting, the POST
> indicates a message that say's, 'Checking NVRAM'. Upon the first (or
> second) time the system booted, on the same line along side Checking
> NVRAM, it would indicate something like 'OK!'. Now I don't get the
> verification (OK)message anymore, system just continues to boot to
> WinXP. Does this mean the NVRAM is no good (whatever NVRAM is?)
> Thanks.

Nothing to worry about unless the "OK" indication shows up
too often. "Checking NVRAM" is a routine part of POST for
an AMI bios. But if "OK" appears, then it means that NVRAM,
the non-volatile RAM portion of the CMOS, has been changed
and updated. The NVRAM holds the bios configuration setup
data. The Windows OS does write to the bios and can cause
the NVRAM to be updated if Windows has ordered some change.

Greysky

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Paul wrote:
>
>> Got a P4C800-E Deluxe board and noticed upon booting, the POST
>> indicates a message that say's, 'Checking NVRAM'. Upon the first (or
>> second) time the system booted, on the same line along side Checking
>> NVRAM, it would indicate something like 'OK!'. Now I don't get the
>> verification (OK)message anymore, system just continues to boot to
>> WinXP. Does this mean the NVRAM is no good (whatever NVRAM is?)
>> Thanks.
>
> Nothing to worry about unless the "OK" indication shows up
> too often. "Checking NVRAM" is a routine part of POST for
> an AMI bios. But if "OK" appears, then it means that NVRAM,
> the non-volatile RAM portion of the CMOS, has been changed
> and updated. The NVRAM holds the bios configuration setup
> data. The Windows OS does write to the bios and can cause
> the NVRAM to be updated if Windows has ordered some change.

Hmmm..... I have a P4P800 Deluxe, and every time I turn it on, I get the
message "Checking NVRAM" and then a second or less later, it says "1024 MB
OK" I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with my machine - but sometimes
it hangs on the "checking NVRAM' message - if there is an excessively long
time interval between the first message and the second "1024 MB OK" message,
I will boot to a black screen and will have to turn power off to get things
working again - a simple reset will not work. This happens every now and
then...

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:09:41 GMT, "Greysky"
<greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Nothing to worry about unless the "OK" indication shows up
>> too often. "Checking NVRAM" is a routine part of POST for
>> an AMI bios. But if "OK" appears, then it means that NVRAM,
>> the non-volatile RAM portion of the CMOS, has been changed
>> and updated. The NVRAM holds the bios configuration setup
>> data. The Windows OS does write to the bios and can cause
>> the NVRAM to be updated if Windows has ordered some change.
>>

>Hmmm..... I have a P4P800 Deluxe, and every time I turn it on, I get the
>message "Checking NVRAM" and then a second or less later, it says "1024 MB
>OK"

Mine too. I just built it today, still adding things, new hard
drive, software, etc

I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with my machine - but
sometimes >>

I haven't either.
+

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/painterny/wqe.html

Johnny Asia wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:09:41 GMT, "Greysky"
> <greyskynospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>>Nothing to worry about unless the "OK" indication shows up
>>>too often. "Checking NVRAM" is a routine part of POST for
>>>an AMI bios. But if "OK" appears, then it means that NVRAM,
>>>the non-volatile RAM portion of the CMOS, has been changed
>>>and updated. The NVRAM holds the bios configuration setup
>>>data. The Windows OS does write to the bios and can cause
>>>the NVRAM to be updated if Windows has ordered some change.
>>>

>>Hmmm..... I have a P4P800 Deluxe, and every time I turn it on, I get the
>>message "Checking NVRAM" and then a second or less later, it says "1024 MB
>>OK"
>

> Mine too. I just built it today, still adding things, new hard
> drive, software, etc
>

> I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with my machine - but
> sometimes >>
>
> I haven't either.
> +

Sorry guys...the "OK" after the RAM check is normal. I
thought the OP was writing about getting the OK prior
to the start of the RAM check.