usb2 and firewire dvd burner

Hello to everybody

Once again, and sorry if I'm annoying some of you, but I request your help
about following problem.

I have a LaCie d2 external dvd burner with both usb2 and firewire
connection ; my laptop is only usb1 compliant ; when connecting the burner
on the usb connector, it works ... I can write cds and dvds, but slowly ...
the firewire connection does not work : nothing happens at all, although I
tried to push the button (according to the LaCie support team !).
I tested the burner on the firewire connector of 3 different laptops,
running all 3 Windows XP, but without success ... the firewire connections
of the 3 laptops were tested OK (network and recorder connections).
If anybody got the same problem, tell me please how it could be solved (or
not).

Thanks.

Pacha

Try to connect the drive to external power.

--PA