Computer making "beeping noises"

Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
would usually sound for errors.

The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
been having.
However this "sound" started to spread to other
aplications, such as disk clean up.
The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.

Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.

I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
series 865E motherboard.
My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB

i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer making beeping noises

    The beeping is coming from the speaker that is inside your case.

    "Alexander" <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
    > starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
    > running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
    > beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
    > would usually sound for errors.
    >
    > The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
    > the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
    > been having.
    > However this "sound" started to spread to other
    > aplications, such as disk clean up.
    > The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
    > harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.
    >
    > Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
    > games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.
    >
    > I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
    > series 865E motherboard.
    > My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB
    >
    > i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.

    Hmm... i opened up my casing but i couldnt locate a
    visible speaker, i just know that its comming from either
    the hard disk or the motherboard. Also, i'm more
    concerned about why i am getting that sound and how to
    stop it.
    i forgot to mention that my sound card is an Altek AC'95

    I had problems with 900 to 1.2 mh Duron's and sound getting interrupted
    and choppy and disotrted. The problem was that the Video was requiring
    too much of the CPU. The solution, other than faster processors was to
    cut back to drivers for the video which were relatively old and
    therefore not exercising all the video capabilities. Since the games
    were rahter primitive this was fine.

    Alexander wrote:
    > Hmm... i opened up my casing but i couldnt locate a
    > visible speaker, i just know that its comming from either
    > the hard disk or the motherboard. Also, i'm more
    > concerned about why i am getting that sound and how to
    > stop it.
    > i forgot to mention that my sound card is an Altek AC'95

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:29:56 -0700, "Alexander"
    <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote:

    It can't be coming from either the HDD OR the MB because neither of
    those have any place to put a speaker. There is usually a small
    speaker that maya be difficult to see somewhere inside the case. It's
    beep codes tell you something is wrong with the hardware. It's not
    related to XP in any way.

    Had similar problem!
    Beep was from a small sounder hidden in the case. I could not see it even
    when I found out that it was there and where it was!!
    Beep was caused by a overheating CPU which eventually went Phut!
    Took quite a long time!
    There was a temperature and voltage monitor built into the Asus MoBo which
    was not mentioned in the computer manual.
    It was mentioned in the MoBo manual which was still in it's shrink wrap at
    the time!

    Good luck.

    "Alexander" <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
    > starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
    > running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
    > beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
    > would usually sound for errors.
    >
    > The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
    > the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
    > been having.
    > However this "sound" started to spread to other
    > aplications, such as disk clean up.
    > The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
    > harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.
    >
    > Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
    > games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.
    >
    > I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
    > series 865E motherboard.
    > My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB
    >
    > i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.

    ok guys i have good new ... good news is it happens to me too and very
    frequently and i kno the problem... and i dun really kno how to fix
    it....but i have methods

    1. the problem is the beeping noise is a self activating noise that
    warns the user of the temperature of the computer harddrive that means
    the videocard is heating up and is getting too hot

    2. i have found using a fan ( electric ) or fanning it ( the videocard
    ) with card board to cool it down has stopped and noises =) and in the
    near future i suggest to purchase a new internal fan and hook it up at
    the bottom or top of the videocard to control the tempature

    thats all if i get any more information i will post back soon

    --
    chunwan
    chunwan's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=246

    It actually sounds like the internal speaker is in use instead of going
    through your speakers. Beeping upon boot or during computer use is
    always an indicator to check the temperature and make sure that
    everything is connected properly. You will need to check Sound
    Properties and see if you have it disbaled.

    Nathan McNulty

    Pat wrote:

    > Had similar problem!
    > Beep was from a small sounder hidden in the case. I could not see it even
    > when I found out that it was there and where it was!!
    > Beep was caused by a overheating CPU which eventually went Phut!
    > Took quite a long time!
    > There was a temperature and voltage monitor built into the Asus MoBo which
    > was not mentioned in the computer manual.
    > It was mentioned in the MoBo manual which was still in it's shrink wrap at
    > the time!
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > "Alexander" <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
    >>starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
    >>running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
    >>beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
    >>would usually sound for errors.
    >>
    >>The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
    >>the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
    >>been having.
    >>However this "sound" started to spread to other
    >>aplications, such as disk clean up.
    >>The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
    >>harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.
    >>
    >>Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
    >>games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.
    >>
    >>I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
    >>series 865E motherboard.
    >>My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB
    >>
    >>i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP