Computer making "beeping noises"

June 23, 2004 5:33:54 PM

Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
would usually sound for errors.

The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
been having.
However this "sound" started to spread to other
aplications, such as disk clean up.
The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.

Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.

I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
series 865E motherboard.
My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB

i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.
June 23, 2004 5:56:32 PM

The beeping is coming from the speaker that is inside your case.

"Alexander" <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
> starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
> running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
> beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
> would usually sound for errors.
>
> The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
> the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
> been having.
> However this "sound" started to spread to other
> aplications, such as disk clean up.
> The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
> harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.
>
> Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
> games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.
>
> I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
> series 865E motherboard.
> My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB
>
> i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:29:56 PM

Hmm... i opened up my casing but i couldnt locate a
visible speaker, i just know that its comming from either
the hard disk or the motherboard. Also, i'm more
concerned about why i am getting that sound and how to
stop it.
i forgot to mention that my sound card is an Altek AC'95

June 23, 2004 11:55:18 PM

I had problems with 900 to 1.2 mh Duron's and sound getting interrupted
and choppy and disotrted. The problem was that the Video was requiring
too much of the CPU. The solution, other than faster processors was to
cut back to drivers for the video which were relatively old and
therefore not exercising all the video capabilities. Since the games
were rahter primitive this was fine.

Alexander wrote:
> Hmm... i opened up my casing but i couldnt locate a
> visible speaker, i just know that its comming from either
> the hard disk or the motherboard. Also, i'm more
> concerned about why i am getting that sound and how to
> stop it.
> i forgot to mention that my sound card is an Altek AC'95

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:49:58 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:29:56 -0700, "Alexander"
<acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote:

It can't be coming from either the HDD OR the MB because neither of
those have any place to put a speaker. There is usually a small
speaker that maya be difficult to see somewhere inside the case. It's
beep codes tell you something is wrong with the hardware. It's not
related to XP in any way.
July 5, 2004 12:34:42 PM

Had similar problem!
Beep was from a small sounder hidden in the case. I could not see it even
when I found out that it was there and where it was!!
Beep was caused by a overheating CPU which eventually went Phut!
Took quite a long time!
There was a temperature and voltage monitor built into the Asus MoBo which
was not mentioned in the computer manual.
It was mentioned in the MoBo manual which was still in it's shrink wrap at
the time!

Good luck.

"Alexander" <acidburn_rules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, the problem is that my computer at the moment
> starts making beeping noises while certain programs are
> running, such as microsoft games halo and freelancer. The
> beeping noises i am getting however isnt the one that
> would usually sound for errors.
>
> The sound started after i disabled the 3D sound option in
> the MS game Freelancer, to fix some sound problems i have
> been having.
> However this "sound" started to spread to other
> aplications, such as disk clean up.
> The "sound" appears to be comming oddly enough from my
> harddisk or motherboard, whichever i am not too sure.
>
> Also when the beeping sound comes usually while playing
> games my sound gets distorted and skips a little.
>
> I have an onboard sound card on a gigabyte P4 titan
> series 865E motherboard.
> My harddisk is a seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB
>
> i would greatly appreciate any advice on this problem.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 8:21:11 PM

ok guys i have good new ... good news is it happens to me too and very
frequently and i kno the problem... and i dun really kno how to fix
it....but i have methods

1. the problem is the beeping noise is a self activating noise that
warns the user of the temperature of the computer harddrive that means
the videocard is heating up and is getting too hot

2. i have found using a fan ( electric ) or fanning it ( the videocard
) with card board to cool it down has stopped and noises =) and in the
near future i suggest to purchase a new internal fan and hook it up at
the bottom or top of the videocard to control the tempature

thats all if i get any more information i will post back soon

--
chunwan
chunwan's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid...

It actually sounds like the internal speaker is in use instead of going
through your speakers. Beeping upon boot or during computer use is
always an indicator to check the temperature and make sure that
everything is connected properly. You will need to check Sound
Properties and see if you have it disbaled.

Nathan McNulty

!