P4C800E question on RAID

HI guys, I must say I'm pretty new to raid configuration.
I''ve tried to set up raid stripped using the promise controller
and after the installation of XP, it won't boot saying a VTDRL file is
missing.

I moved to Intel Raid then IIA, and it seems fime, but i get lots of
hanging
problem and the intel performance says there are error on one disk
(it's a new
samsung sata 160G).

The question is , I have 2 Raid controller, which one should I use.

And why the using the promise controller the installation of XP goes
fine but then it won't work.

One last dumb question, the Master and Slave setting on the HD
matters?

Thanks
jurij
2 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e question raid

    In article <180253f2.0409292242.423d40db@posting.google.com>,
    jurijvi@hotmail.com (jv) wrote:

    > HI guys, I must say I'm pretty new to raid configuration.
    > I''ve tried to set up raid stripped using the promise controller
    > and after the installation of XP, it won't boot saying a VTDRL file is
    > missing.
    >
    > I moved to Intel Raid then IIA, and it seems fime, but i get lots of
    > hanging
    > problem and the intel performance says there are error on one disk
    > (it's a new
    > samsung sata 160G).
    >
    > The question is , I have 2 Raid controller, which one should I use.
    >
    > And why the using the promise controller the installation of XP goes
    > fine but then it won't work.
    >
    > One last dumb question, the Master and Slave setting on the HD
    > matters?
    >
    > Thanks
    > jurij

    Your symptoms suggest you have one bad disk.

    In terms of the best way to configure disks, I recommend
    that your striped RAID only be used for data. Purchase a
    third disk and use it as the boot disk. Use the other two
    disks to construct the RAID stripe. Then, if the RAID stripe
    fails (array is broken due to errors), you still have a boot
    disk and still have a way to use the computer.

    If using RAID stripe, having a good backup strategy is
    even more important than normal. With two disks that
    can fail, the odds are higher that you will have
    trouble.

    From a hardware perspective, there is only one disk per
    SATA cable, so setting it to master should be fine.

    Check the way that you have wired power to the drives.
    If you have a high power video card, make sure that if
    the video card has an auxiliary power input, that the
    power cable not be used to power any disk drives at the
    same time. The cable used to power a video card should
    not be used to power anything else, due to excessive
    voltage drop in the cable. (At least, there have
    been reports of problems that way.)

    SATA is an extremely high speed hardware signal. It needs
    good quality cables, and due to the poor connector design,
    you need to make sure there isn't anything stressing or
    pulling on the cable.

    Samsung has four utilities for download on their website.
    You didn't specify what model number of drive you've got,
    but perhaps this program can test your drives. To see the
    other utilities, click on the "Disk Manager", "SUTIL",
    "Shdiag", "HUTIL" at the top of the web page, to read
    about them. Generally, I recommend staying away from programs
    like "Disk Manager" or any other DDO programs (dynamic
    disk overlay) - use the utilities provided with your OS
    instead.

    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/hutil.htm

    In terms of performance, the Intel SATA RAID is capable of
    slightly higher performance than the Promise chip. If you
    connect a pair of Raptors to the Intel connectors, you can
    get 110MB/sec or slightly more for a stripe. The Promise chip
    is limited by the PCI bus it is connected to. The Intel SATA
    sits on a 266MB/sec HI 1.5 bus, and isn't bus limited. (The
    Gigabit Ethernet chip on that board also has its own private
    HI 1.5 bus as well.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    On my P4C800E-D motherboard, I disabled the Promise controller in the BIOS
    since it uses more system resources than the Promise and thus used only the
    Intel controller for RAID 0 Raptors, two optical drives and a backup hard
    drive and everything works great. There are no masters nor slaves in a RAID
    situation.

    For a fresh XP install using paired SATA RAID 0 drives (although I will not
    use RAID 0 in the next yearly re-install)

    In the BIOS
    --Set OnBoard IDE Operate Mode to ENHANCED MODE
    --Set the Enhanced Mode Support On to [SATA] (assuming you are using Serial
    drives)
    --Set Configure S-ATA as RAID to YES
    --Set Serial ATA Bootrom to ENABLED

    Download IAA35R.ZIP which is the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    (or use the one on your installation CD in a folder labeled "IAA" and create
    a boot floppy.) When you unzip it, you will notice a file called
    "Makedisk.exe". Place blank floppy in drive and doubleclick that file to
    create a driver diskette which will contain these four files: iastor.inf,
    iastor.sys, iastor.cat and txtsetup.oem

    Before loading Windows XP and while in POST, do a Control-I (control-eye)
    which will get you into the RAID BIOS and make these changes:
    --Create RAID Volume (in Main menu)
    --Set Stripe Size (64KB is general use) in the Create Array menu if you are
    using RAID 0
    --Check the capacity of the drive(s) as being correct
    --Highlight CREATE VOLUME and press Enter and press "Y" when a confirmation
    message appears and then scroll down to option 4 and press Enter.

    When loading XP, very soon after beginning the install, it will ask if there
    are additional drivers and if so, hit F6--do so and place the floppy that
    you created in the drive. Eventually, the installation process will ask for
    SCSI drivers and enter "S" for installation of "Specify Additional Device"
    of a SCSI driver. Leave the floppy in the drive since it will be accessed a
    couple of times. Instructions on the screen will tell you to insert the
    disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into Drive A which
    you have already done. After pressing Enter, a list of available SCSI
    adaptors will be presented and it should list the Intel 82801ER Serial RAID
    Controller which should be selected and press Enter. The next screen should
    confirm that the Intel RAID controller was selected and press Enter again to
    continue and then finish up the install.

    Hope this helps, good luck,

    MikeSp
    ------------------------------

    During Windows install I loaded in the
    "jv" <jurijvi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > HI guys, I must say I'm pretty new to raid configuration.
    > I''ve tried to set up raid stripped using the promise controller
    > and after the installation of XP, it won't boot saying a VTDRL file is
    > missing.
    >
    > I moved to Intel Raid then IIA, and it seems fime, but i get lots of
    > hanging
    > problem and the intel performance says there are error on one disk
    > (it's a new
    > samsung sata 160G).
    >
    > The question is , I have 2 Raid controller, which one should I use.
    >
    > And why the using the promise controller the installation of XP goes
    > fine but then it won't work.
    >
    > One last dumb question, the Master and Slave setting on the HD
    > matters?
    >
    > Thanks
    > jurij

Asus NAS / RAID Controller Windows XP Motherboards