Discrepancies on K8V manual

Couple of question since I cannot understand the manual very well.

1) About memory modules: I read the list of qualified vendors and I
always use Micron; the number of the model on the manual is totally
different from Micron's modules for this board.
Asus' User Guide lists Micron's Model MT16VDDT6464AG-40BC4
but at Micron nothing exists with this string. What Micron suggests is
CT6464Z40B DDR PC3200 CL=3. What gives??

2) I am not sure about the way to use the s-ata connectors
there are four of them, pri-sata, sec sata, sata1, sata2
OK the first two are intended for Raid which I will use for mirroring.
What can I do with the other two? No suggestions on the User Guide.
Sorry if the question is silly :))

3) Is it advisable to put an insulator washer between the screws and
the hole on the mobo when fixing it to the chassis?

4) About the WiFi connector: I cannot see any adapter available from
Asus to be inserted there. Is it something not yet on the market?

--
Gianmaria
Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

See my comments inserted into text below
- Steve

"Gianmaria Fontana di Sacculmino" <gfds@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Couple of question since I cannot understand the manual very well.
>
> 1) About memory modules: I read the list of qualified vendors and I
> always use Micron; the number of the model on the manual is totally
> different from Micron's modules for this board.
> Asus' User Guide lists Micron's Model MT16VDDT6464AG-40BC4
> but at Micron nothing exists with this string. What Micron suggests is
> CT6464Z40B DDR PC3200 CL=3. What gives??

The MT number is an original Micron part numbers. If you delve deep into the
Micron web site you would probably find data.
The CT number is a "Crucial" part number. Crucial is a retail marketing
division of Micron they (almost always) sell original Micron modules branded
as "Crucial". I bought a Crucial PC3200 module for my K8V board, and it
works perfectly. Most of the Crucial brand modules I have bought also have
the Micron part number on them as well, on a separate tiny sticker.

> 2) I am not sure about the way to use the s-ata connectors
> there are four of them, pri-sata, sec sata, sata1, sata2
> OK the first two are intended for Raid which I will use for mirroring.
> What can I do with the other two? No suggestions on the User Guide.
> Sorry if the question is silly :))

Not at all silly. As far as I know any of the connectors can be used either
for RAID or normal (non-raid) operation, as you wish.
You just have to make sure that the BIOS is set correctly and that you load
the correct drivers. That, in my experience, is the really fiddly part! Just
remember that you have SATA provided by the "promise" controller as well as
SATA provided by the VIA controller. Which is best seems to be the subject
for long discussion which I certainly won't get into here!
I use the VIA SATA controller in non-raid mode and it works well for me.

> 3) Is it advisable to put an insulator washer between the screws and
> the hole on the mobo when fixing it to the chassis?

I don't. I personally feel that it is better for the "ground" parts of the
motherboard to contact the chassis. Should reduce electrical noise. By
"ground" parts, I mean the un-insulated rings of solder immediately around
each hole on the motherboard.
The only thing to watch out for is if you have large (wide) pillars on the
chassis, make sure that they cannot touch any of the electrical tracks on
the motherboard, as this could short-circuit critical signals. If it looks
like this could happen, use those insulating washers where necessary!

> 4) About the WiFi connector: I cannot see any adapter available from
> Asus to be inserted there. Is it something not yet on the market?

Yes, a few dealers here in the UK have sold them. But it is only 80211.b.
They are fairly cheap but not unduly exciting