p4p800-E deluxe wondering about the post screen

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just set up one of these systems running a 2.4ghz 800Mhz cpu.
While I'm booting after the post screen and just after the WindowsXp
Logo screen, I get, for a tenth of a second, an American Megatrends
screen with all sorts of weird character symbols. It's too quick to
read anything. Then averything continues normally. I was wondering if
others had this and what it might mean.

Scott

Want to read it? simply hit the "PAUSE" button on your keyboard then you can
read it. Basically this all means NOTHING!!

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 05:01:03 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:

>Want to read it? simply hit the "PAUSE" button on your keyboard then you can
>read it. Basically this all means NOTHING!!

Good idea. But it's really quick. Another thing is that all my Auss
P2b boards and on the p4p800, when I use matrox video cards, I always
get a strange screen during boot-up; I was wondering if anyone else
did.

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 05:01:03 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Want to read it? simply hit the "PAUSE" button on your keyboard then you
>>can
>>read it. Basically this all means NOTHING!!
>
> Good idea. But it's really quick. Another thing is that all my Auss
> P2b boards and on the p4p800, when I use matrox video cards, I always
> get a strange screen during boot-up; I was wondering if anyone else
> did.

I don't think it all has to do with the video card, but rather a combination
of things. AFAIK, when you boot a number of POSTs (Power On Self Tests) of
subsystems happen. The first thing you see is the signon screen from the
video card. I imagine it does some initialization and sets itself to
whatever mode the BIOS calls for so that the BIOS POST can display it
settings or the splash screen depending on what you set it for. When BIOS
reads the boot sector (MBR) from the boot drive and hands control over to
that program, that program probaby resets the video to whatever mode it
requires. Some where during that time, the card may end up in nowhere land
and garbage may show on the screen.

A case in point. My K8V boots from the Promise SATA drive. After the BIOS
POST, the Promise BIOS clears the screen and initializes the drives after
which the o/s boots. The screen was blank for a moment between the Promise
POST and o/s boot. I recently added a PATA drive. Now part (bottom half of
screen) of the BIOS POST message come back on the screen after the Promise
POST. Go figure eh.

So what you're seeing is probably random stuff in the video memory while it
switches between modes - fairly harmless. I use to use Matrox (G450 and
G550), but I don't remember the garbled screen at POST.

Check the Matrox site - there are some compatibility/setting problems with
Asus/Matrox. Search the QAs for Asus.

--
Remove "john" from the address to reply.

Regards,
John
<eric@egypt.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 05:01:03 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Want to read it? simply hit the "PAUSE" button on your keyboard then you
can
> >read it. Basically this all means NOTHING!!
>
> Good idea. But it's really quick. Another thing is that all my Auss
> P2b boards and on the p4p800, when I use matrox video cards, I always
> get a strange screen during boot-up; I was wondering if anyone else
> did.

It's quite definitely an issue with the video card.

I had the same problem with a Matrox P650. I found my fix on the
Matrox Boards. There's one executable called colorlogofix.exe and
another one I don't recall.

Just as John has said, there are issues between Asus and Matrox.

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:51:54 -0500, "JohnJeninga"
<JohnJeninga@autobahn.mb.ca> wrote:

>Check the Matrox site - there are some compatibility/setting problems with
>Asus/Matrox. Search the QAs for Asus.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:51:11 GMT, Gord Ipsofacto
<ipsofacto@operamail.com> wrote:

I searched matrox forums and can't find anything. Did a websearch
newsgroup search for colorlogofix and zilch. Could you be more
specific, if possible.

thanks.

>It's quite definitely an issue with the video card.
>
>I had the same problem with a Matrox P650. I found my fix on the
>Matrox Boards. There's one executable called colorlogofix.exe and
>another one I don't recall.
>
>Just as John has said, there are issues between Asus and Matrox.
>

>On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:51:54 -0500, "JohnJeninga"
><JohnJeninga@autobahn.mb.ca> wrote:
>
>>Check the Matrox site - there are some compatibility/setting problems with
>>Asus/Matrox. Search the QAs for Asus.

Okay, went back to the messages I had posted and gotten responses on
the Matrox board.

The direct quote from Louie was;

Quote:

You will need to also run the "SystemLogoFix.exe" file and the
"SystemLogoColorFix.exe" file to correct this problem.
In your case the best way to do this is to install the Matrox card in
a system with the OS installed and then use the 2 above files.

Unquote.

So, I remembered the name wrong I guess. Apologies. The site where
the two files should be found is:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/bios/home2.cfm

Hope this helps.