new motherboard and XP

I am installing a new motherboard and realize I have to a
repair reinstall XP but when I try to it there's a
problem. I load the XP cd and it loads the drivers but
when I hit "enter" to do an installation ti says that it
does not detect an installed harddrive. My hard drive is
recognized by the system at boot up but not at
installation. Can anyone help?

Greetings --

It's likely that the WinXP installation CD doesn't include the
drivers for your PC's specific model of IDE controller. You may need
to get them from the controller's/motherboard's manufacturer. Very
early in the boot process, just after having booted from the WinXP CD,
the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining
your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
WinXP-specific drivers for your IDE controller available on a floppy
disk.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"rev tc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am installing a new motherboard and realize I have to a
> repair reinstall XP but when I try to it there's a
> problem. I load the XP cd and it loads the drivers but
> when I hit "enter" to do an installation ti says that it
> does not detect an installed harddrive. My hard drive is
> recognized by the system at boot up but not at
> installation. Can anyone help?

Thanks for your help. Do the drivers have to be on a
floppy? The motherboard came with a cd that contains the
drivers. Could it work that way?

count on
>having both at once. - RAH
>

>"rev tc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I am installing a new motherboard and realize I have
to a
>> repair reinstall XP but when I try to it there's a
>> problem. I load the XP cd and it loads the drivers but
>> when I hit "enter" to do an installation ti says that
it
>> does not detect an installed harddrive. My hard drive
is
>> recognized by the system at boot up but not at
>> installation. Can anyone help?
>

>.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

Yes the drivers from the CD will probably work, however, downloading the latest drivers is always a plus. You will probably need to put it on diskette as i don't believe it will look on the CD for you.

"rev tc" wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Do the drivers have to be on a
> floppy? The motherboard came with a cd that contains the
> drivers. Could it work that way?

Greetings --

It would depend upon what controllers on the motherboard don't
need the additional drivers. Odds are that your CD is also IDE, and
on the same controller as the hard drive. I'd use a floppy, myself.
But consult the motherboard's manual; it may well tell you how to
install the necessary drivers as part of the OS installation.

Bruce Chambers