K8V-SE DELUXE Ram Question

Ryan

Just so you know, I have Googled this and didn't find any answers.

I have a gig (2x512) of PC3200 Samsung ram (k4h560838f-tccc) which does not
show up on Asus' compatability list but does show up on the list for the
K8V-X. Since it is the same Via chipset will I be ok? The Samsung ram that
does make the list for the Deluxe board is the same as the k4h560838f-tccc
except the "F" is an "E". I don't want to waste my time RMA'ing a board
because of compatability issues.

I already went through this with my A7N8X-E mobo. This ram (which is
PC3200) would only run dual channel @ 186mhz. I had to purchase another gig
of ram which hurts. Are these socket 754 boards as picky as the dual
channel, Socket A Nforce boards?

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ryan

Paul

Splendid

In article <pqg7d.298$Al3.205@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, "Ryan"
<ryaley@excite.com> wrote:

> Just so you know, I have Googled this and didn't find any answers.
>
> I have a gig (2x512) of PC3200 Samsung ram (k4h560838f-tccc) which does not
> show up on Asus' compatability list but does show up on the list for the
> K8V-X. Since it is the same Via chipset will I be ok? The Samsung ram that
> does make the list for the Deluxe board is the same as the k4h560838f-tccc
> except the "F" is an "E". I don't want to waste my time RMA'ing a board
> because of compatability issues.
>
> I already went through this with my A7N8X-E mobo. This ram (which is
> PC3200) would only run dual channel @ 186mhz. I had to purchase another gig
> of ram which hurts. Are these socket 754 boards as picky as the dual
> channel, Socket A Nforce boards?
>
> If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>

> Ryan

The memory controller on Athlon64 is right on the processor. So,
whether the memory will work with the processor, is (partially)
independent of the motherboard selection. The chipset doesn't
touch the memory. A motherboard designer can still screw up the
design, by not placing the copper tracks between the processor
and the DIMMs properly, and that could alter the compatibility
and loading characteristics of a board, but as long as the
designers follow whatever reference design exists for the board,
Athlon64 boards should have consistent characteristics from
one to another.

The BIOS on the board is another matter. This article shows the
difference a good BIOS can make.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/memory_modules-22.html

I would say if you found the memory on another board's list, then
the chances are very good for that memory. Follow the rules in the
manual - if using two sticks, put them in slots 1 and 3. Usually
that is line 18 in Table 1 in the manual.

Whether RAM shows up in a list or not, there is still the possibility
the RAM won't work. This is because many "Value RAM" products are
obtained from multiple sources, so even though there is a "famous
name brand" stick on the module, they could be different designs.
This makes the lists that Asus provides to users, kinda useless,
as time changes everything, and the lists are not kept up to date.

Many Asus lists still have Winbond BH-5 memory chips mentioned,
and Winbond stopped making those a while ago. Don't place too
much weight on an Asus list - you are better off visiting the
private forums and doing a search for your brand and model of
RAM there. As long as the posts you read are fairly recent,
they may give you a better idea of whether some brand of memory
chips is really bad or not.

HTH,
Paul

Ryan

Thanks so much for the useful information. I went ahead and ordered the
k8v-x. My ram is on that list and I'm not as gutsy as I used to be.

I still am confued on why my ram will only run @ 333 instead of 400.
According to the manual, you can't have 2x 512mb double sided sticks and
still maintain 400mzh? I'm starting to think I should have gone down the
Intel road. The last time I went down that road was the Cely 300a and the
P3BF. :(

Ryan