Redirect Com port to USB?

rwl

I have two devices that need to share the same Com port.
I have a USB to Com adapter, but the device isnt recognized when
plugged into the USB port. The software for the PDA will never be
updated to recognize USB ports, but if a Com port were redirected to
USB, it might work.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

I had a similar problem to this with PsiWin and a USB to COM adapter
which insisted on emulating COM5 - PsiWin does not recognise this port
by default. Thanks to advice from others, I found that rebooting the
system with the USB device attached allowed the PDA software to
recognise the non-standard COM port. This may work for you, too.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:41:58 -0400, RWL <GeoLane_NOSPAM_@evenlink.com>
wrote:

>I have two devices that need to share the same Com port.
> I have a USB to Com adapter, but the device isnt recognized when
>plugged into the USB port. The software for the PDA will never be
>updated to recognize USB ports, but if a Com port were redirected to
>USB, it might work.
>
>RWL
>
>******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

rwl

>>I have two devices that need to share the same Com port.
>> I have a USB to Com adapter, but the device isnt recognized when
>>plugged into the USB port. The software for the PDA will never be
>>updated to recognize USB ports, but if a Com port were redirected to
>>USB, it might work.
>>
>>RWL

>I had a similar problem to this with PsiWin and a USB to COM adapter
>which insisted on emulating COM5 - PsiWin does not recognise this port
>by default. Thanks to advice from others, I found that rebooting the
>system with the USB device attached allowed the PDA software to
>recognise the non-standard COM port. This may work for you, too.

Thanks for the thought. It's been awhile since I played with it, but
I think I tried this without success. The software insists on looking
for a COM port. If I could convince WinXP that the USB was another
COM port, I might be able to get it to work.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******