Wireless 802.11b print server?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

Right now I have a stand-alone computer acting as a print server, but
I'm looking to replace it with a wireless print server with both USB
1.1 and Parallel support for my 802.11b wireless network.
my problem is that I can find USB only servers, parallel only servers,
and Linksys has an 802.11g version with support for both, but I cannot
find an 802.11g version with both ports.
Does anyone know of such a device (that will be compatible with my
Linksys 802.11b router)?
Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
9 answers Last reply
More about wireless print server
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    Baron Rho <Baronrho@philtre.com> wrote in message news:<tnc790tjvfjb3s1gdh3pahmbhea0e4d9iu@4ax.com>...
    > Right now I have a stand-alone computer acting as a print server, but
    > I'm looking to replace it with a wireless print server with both USB
    > 1.1 and Parallel support for my 802.11b wireless network.
    > my problem is that I can find USB only servers, parallel only servers,
    > and Linksys has an 802.11g version with support for both, but I cannot
    > find an 802.11g version with both ports.
    > Does anyone know of such a device (that will be compatible with my
    > Linksys 802.11b router)?
    > Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

    You can simply connect a regular wired Print Server to the Linksys
    802.11b router (assuming you have atleast one LAN free port). There
    are many such
    devices available. Just a quick search resulted in this one

    http://www.phoebemicro.com/Products/Networking/Print_Servers/Fast_Ethernet_Print_Server/fast_ethernet_print_server.html

    But I'm sure you can find many others.

    Sujit D'Mello
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    whether or not you can get the parallel model with G speed is mute: the
    parallel port is much slower. In fact, its slowe than 802.11b in mpst cases.

    so it really doesnt matter. get something that works. And if you are looking
    for some massive speed increase by going G instead of B, you are in for a
    disappointment. if you have a 2.4g phone, get G so there wont be any
    interferrence with your wifi when you talk on the phone.

    most connections with B are good for about 5 ~ 6 Mb/s, and G is good for
    about 21Mb/s (http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-40-ProdID-WG602-5.php)

    wifi still aint all that and a bucket of chicken.

    NuTs

    "Sujit D'Mello" <sujitdmello@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Baron Rho <Baronrho@philtre.com> wrote in message
    > > Right now I have a stand-alone computer acting as a print server, but
    > > I'm looking to replace it with a wireless print server with both USB
    > > 1.1 and Parallel support for my 802.11b wireless network.
    > > my problem is that I can find USB only servers, parallel only servers,
    > > and Linksys has an 802.11g version with support for both, but I cannot
    > > find an 802.11g version with both ports.
    > > Does anyone know of such a device (that will be compatible with my
    > > Linksys 802.11b router)?
    > > Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
    >
    > You can simply connect a regular wired Print Server to the Linksys
    > 802.11b router (assuming you have atleast one LAN free port). There
    > are many such
    > devices available. Just a quick search resulted in this one

    http://www.phoebemicro.com/Products/Networking/Print_Servers/Fast_Ethernet_P
    rint_Server/fast_ethernet_print_server.html

    > But I'm sure you can find many others.
    >
    > Sujit D'Mello
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:34 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
    <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

    >whether or not you can get the parallel model with G speed is mute: the
    >parallel port is much slower. In fact, its slowe than 802.11b in mpst cases.
    >
    >so it really doesnt matter. get something that works. And if you are looking
    >for some massive speed increase by going G instead of B, you are in for a
    >disappointment. if you have a 2.4g phone, get G so there wont be any
    >interferrence with your wifi when you talk on the phone.

    I believe G operates in the exact same band/frequency range as B...
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    g = 5ghz

    "daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:34 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
    > <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
    >
    > >whether or not you can get the parallel model with G speed is mute: the
    > >parallel port is much slower. In fact, its slowe than 802.11b in mpst
    cases.

    > >so it really doesnt matter. get something that works. And if you are
    looking
    > >for some massive speed increase by going G instead of B, you are in for a
    > >disappointment. if you have a 2.4g phone, get G so there wont be any
    > >interferrence with your wifi when you talk on the phone.
    >
    > I believe G operates in the exact same band/frequency range as B...
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    On 2 May 2004 09:07:08 -0700, sujitdmello@yahoo.com (Sujit D'Mello)
    wrote:

    >Baron Rho <Baronrho@philtre.com> wrote in message news:<tnc790tjvfjb3s1gdh3pahmbhea0e4d9iu@4ax.com>...
    >> Right now I have a stand-alone computer acting as a print server, but
    >> I'm looking to replace it with a wireless print server with both USB
    >> 1.1 and Parallel support for my 802.11b wireless network.
    >> my problem is that I can find USB only servers, parallel only servers,
    >> and Linksys has an 802.11g version with support for both, but I cannot
    >> find an 802.11g version with both ports.
    >> Does anyone know of such a device (that will be compatible with my
    >> Linksys 802.11b router)?
    >> Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
    >
    >You can simply connect a regular wired Print Server to the Linksys
    >802.11b router (assuming you have atleast one LAN free port). There
    >are many such
    >devices available. Just a quick search resulted in this one
    >
    >http://www.phoebemicro.com/Products/Networking/Print_Servers/Fast_Ethernet_Print_Server/fast_ethernet_print_server.html
    >
    >But I'm sure you can find many others.
    >
    >Sujit D'Mello

    I guess you missed the point, i need a *wireless* print server for my
    *wireless* network.
    my printers are n my basement and the router/cable modem are upstairs.
    i have no signal problems, but i want my printers banished from the
    upstairs realm, so wireless connectivity is paramount.......
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:17:43 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
    <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

    >"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:34 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
    >> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> >whether or not you can get the parallel model with G speed is mute: the
    >> >parallel port is much slower. In fact, its slowe than 802.11b in mpst
    >cases.
    >> >
    >> >so it really doesnt matter. get something that works. And if you are
    >looking
    >> >for some massive speed increase by going G instead of B, you are in for a
    >> >disappointment. if you have a 2.4g phone, get G so there wont be any
    >> >interferrence with your wifi when you talk on the phone.
    >>
    >> I believe G operates in the exact same band/frequency range as B...
    >
    >g = 5ghz

    No, you are wrong. Again.

    b: 2.4 ghz
    g: 2.4 ghz (didn't you even wonder how G could talk to B??)
    a: 5 ghz

    Look it up.

    /daytripper (unsheathing the ClueBringer...)
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:17:43 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
    <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
    >> >whether or not you can get the parallel model with G speed is mute:

    And that would be "moot"...

    hth

    /daytripper ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    yes, that helps a lot. I dont have to spend any more time worrying if i
    wrote the wrong thing... I stand corrected. A is 5Ghz

    So, if he has a 2.4Ghz phone, he should get A.

    my comments on speed expectations are still accurate, even if my spelling
    wasnt.

    NuTs

    > And that would be "moot"...
    >
    > hth
    >
    > /daytripper ;-)
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems Baron Rho <Baronrho@philtre.com> wrote:
    > Right now I have a stand-alone computer acting as a print server, but
    > I'm looking to replace it with a wireless print server with both USB
    > 1.1 and Parallel support for my 802.11b wireless network.
    > my problem is that I can find USB only servers, parallel only servers,
    > and Linksys has an 802.11g version with support for both, but I cannot
    > find an 802.11g version with both ports.
    > Does anyone know of such a device (that will be compatible with my
    > Linksys 802.11b router)?
    > Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

    What am I missing here?

    You want a print server:
    802.11b (there must be a typo above)
    USB output
    Parallel output

    Take a closer look at the LinkSys datasheet. If you were looking
    at this:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=37&prid=584

    ....then it says it's b/g.

Printers Hardware WiFi IBM Servers Peripherals