P4P800-E Deluxe VS P4C800-E Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2004 4:44:05 PM

I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
between these 2 boards.

Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase

Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2004 6:18:50 PM

I had the same question early in the summer when I was picking components
for a new system. I called ASUS sales and they were helpful. They said
that for "big time" networking applications, the P4C might be better, but
for a fast home/office PC (my use), the P4P would be more than adequate.
Also, I read everything I could find on this newsgroup about the two boards,
and it seemed that the P4P with the P4/3.0Ghz processor might be slightly
more stable (I don't know why that would be the case). The P4P is slightly
less expensive and that was an added benefit.

For what it's worth, I ended up with the following, all of which has worked
perfectly:

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Pentium 4, 3.0C with Zalman 7000a-AlCu CPU cooling fan
2GB Mushin PC3200 Blue RAM -- 4-512MB DIMMS
Antec case SLK3700-BQE with Antec 350w PSU Model SL350S
Extra (2nd) Antec case fan
Matrox G450 video card-for primary monitor
Matrox Millennium PCI video card-for second monitor
2-WD 120GB HD; 1-SATA; 1-EIDE
Plextor DVD-RW/CD-RW; floppy
Windows XP Home SP2

John

"Cold_Canuck" <cold_canuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
> between these 2 boards.
>
> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
>
> Thanks
October 1, 2004 11:42:32 PM

In article <42e6f75f.0410011144.42bccd37@posting.google.com>,
cold_canuck@hotmail.com (Cold_Canuck) wrote:

> I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
> between these 2 boards.
>
> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
>
> Thanks

The audio is slightly different, as one uses Realtek 8 channel
and the other uses ADI 6 channel. But, some of these 8 channel
implementations, steal from other interfaces, to get pins on the
chip to carry the other two channels, so read carefully to find
out which interface is shared with the two extra channels. In
short, there is no appreciable difference between the two
onboard audio solutions - if you are an audiophile, they will
both be wanting, in terms of noise floor.

If you are an overclocker, the single biggest difference, is
the possibility of "video artifacts" at high overclock (CPU
clocked at 250MHz, instead of the normal 200MHz for an FSB800
processor). You can read the details here:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

As for which exact models of Asus boards, with 865PE, are affected,
that thread might not make clear for you. So, I would say the
P4C800 offers the _chance_ of fewer problems if overclocking.
It is possible another vendor's 865PE boards don't have the
same problems, and that thread might mention some of them.

For the LAN thing, the difference looks like this:

P4C800-E P4P800-E
--------------- ---------------
| 875 | | 865 |
--------------- ---------------
| | |
266MB/sec 266MB/sec 266MB/sec
| | |
Intel Southbridge Southbridge
Gigabit | | | |
LAN SATA+ 133MB/sec SATA+ 133MB/sec
PCI Bus PCI Bus
| |
+-- Firewire +-- Marvell
| etc. | Gigabit
PCI | LAN
slots |
+-- Firewire
| etc.
PCI
slots

In both cases, there are a couple of interfaces in the Southbridge
that have access to the 266MB/sec bandwidth. That is what the
"SATA+" is referring to. The "Firewire etc." refers to onboard
peripherals, which are fairly similar on the two boards.

Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA. (I picked
up a A7N8X-E a few days ago, and the overclock recovery mostly
works on that one. The best part of the BIOS on that board, is,
even if you have to power off to get control of the board again,
all your settings are still there, so in a matter of 30 minutes,
I had figured out enough settings for a decent start at
overclocking. So far, I haven't had to touch the Clear CMOS
jumper on the A7N8X-E. I've stopped trying to overclock the
P4C800-E.)

HTH,
Paul
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2004 12:44:03 AM

Cold_Canuck wrote:

> I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
> between these 2 boards.
>
> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
>
> Thanks

For one, the P4C supports ECC RAM; the P4P does not. Hardly matters,
unless you have valuable data.
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Cold_Canuck wrote:
>
>> I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
>> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
>> between these 2 boards.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
>>
>> Thanks
>
> For one, the P4C supports ECC RAM; the P4P does not. Hardly matters,
> unless you have valuable data.

Note the Intel CSA Gigabit LAN on P4C800-E Deluxe.
In short it means LAN data doesn't use the PCI-bus.
Go to www.intel.com and search for "CSA"
Gr. Jan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2004 3:32:27 AM

The P4P800-E Deluxe uses the Intel 865 chipset and is somewhat slower and
less stable.
The P4C800-E Deluxe uses the newer, faster, and more stable Intel 875
chipset.

--
DaveW

"Cold_Canuck" <cold_canuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
> between these 2 boards.
>
> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
>
> Thanks
October 2, 2004 8:48:44 AM

"Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "

This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save fronm
the bios.

You simply just dont "power off" you UNPLUG the power . You did not have to
go thru all that BS bro if you knew this :)

The P4C verses the P4P when they first came out was the large price gap..
The latter mentioned "P" is based on the Intel 865 chipset verses the "C"
based on the 875 chipset.

It all depends what you want to do with your computer; I run allot of lan
based stuff so I wanted the Intel gigabit that does not put a load on the
PCI bus, so I was willing to pay a bit more. If you can afford it, get the
P4C..That is my take. Good luck!!

> [...]
> peripherals, which are fairly similar on the two boards.
>
> Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
> I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
> from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
> overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
> So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
> every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA. (I picked
> up a A7N8X-E a few days ago, and the overclock recovery mostly
> works on that one. The best part of the BIOS on that board, is,
> even if you have to power off to get control of the board again,
> all your settings are still there, so in a matter of 30 minutes,
> I had figured out enough settings for a decent start at
> overclocking. So far, I haven't had to touch the Clear CMOS
> jumper on the A7N8X-E. I've stopped trying to overclock the

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2004 8:52:00 AM

Thanks for all the great posts, this is information that I never would
have discovered on the Asus site. Much appreciated folks. I guess if
my budget allows the Pc version looks like the more long term
solution.
October 2, 2004 3:03:28 PM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:42:32 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
>I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
>from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
>overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
>So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
>every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA.

Yeah, I wanted to comment to you my experience with this board. I
RMA'd a p4p800 and I got a p4p800-e back. I found the p4p800 to work
exactly as you describe vis-a-vis a failed overclock. However during
my first few days of experimenting with the p4p800-e, I found that a
failed overclock of cpu FSB got me back into the bios, like on the
older boards. Then this morning I was experimenting with 2-2-2 cas
settings, which my RAM did not like, and I went into the bad bios
checksum thingie. I removed the battery, switched the cmos jumper and
had to do my bios configs again. Just wondering as this was the first
time this happened to me with the p4p800-e. I was beginning to think
that something had been change on this board from the p4p-800, but I
guess not.

still; wondering, eric
October 2, 2004 6:01:06 PM

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 04:48:44 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:

>> "Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
>> I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
>> from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
>> overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "
>

> This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
> OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
> holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
> the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
> even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save fronm
> the bios.

The same here with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
No BIOS problem with overclock that does not work.
October 2, 2004 7:57:54 PM

In article <tv5tl05ahq0etomql3us4b1928roe1pjub@4ax.com>, Ken
<___ken3@telia.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 04:48:44 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
> >> I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
> >> from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
> >> overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "
> >

> > This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
> > OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
> > holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
> > the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
> > even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save
fronm
> > the bios.
>
> The same here with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
> No BIOS problem with overclock that does not work.

I'd like to test that right now, but I'm using parts from the
P4C800-E to test the A7N8X-E. My symptoms were, on reboot I would
get a message about BIOS checksum corrupt, and would I like to flash
the BIOS. Will the BIOS listen to the <Insert> key, when the
main body of BIOS code claims to be corrupt ? And, is that the
same symptoms you guys got - a claim of BIOS corruption ? I
would never have guessed you could escape from that, and that
is why I've been clearing the CMOS, to return clocks to normal.
(I'm no overclocking expert - just occasional experiments when
I get bored...)

I guess the answer to that is right here :-) I'll have a go at
this when I put all the stuff back in the P4C800-E.
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=515774&postc...

Paul
!