P4P800-E Deluxe VS P4C800-E Deluxe

I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
between these 2 boards.

Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 deluxe p4c800 deluxe

    I had the same question early in the summer when I was picking components
    for a new system. I called ASUS sales and they were helpful. They said
    that for "big time" networking applications, the P4C might be better, but
    for a fast home/office PC (my use), the P4P would be more than adequate.
    Also, I read everything I could find on this newsgroup about the two boards,
    and it seemed that the P4P with the P4/3.0Ghz processor might be slightly
    more stable (I don't know why that would be the case). The P4P is slightly
    less expensive and that was an added benefit.

    For what it's worth, I ended up with the following, all of which has worked
    perfectly:

    ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
    Pentium 4, 3.0C with Zalman 7000a-AlCu CPU cooling fan
    2GB Mushin PC3200 Blue RAM -- 4-512MB DIMMS
    Antec case SLK3700-BQE with Antec 350w PSU Model SL350S
    Extra (2nd) Antec case fan
    Matrox G450 video card-for primary monitor
    Matrox Millennium PCI video card-for second monitor
    2-WD 120GB HD; 1-SATA; 1-EIDE
    Plextor DVD-RW/CD-RW; floppy
    Windows XP Home SP2

    John

    In article <42e6f75f.0410011144.42bccd37@posting.google.com>,
    cold_canuck@hotmail.com (Cold_Canuck) wrote:

    > I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
    > comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
    > between these 2 boards.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
    >
    > Thanks

    The audio is slightly different, as one uses Realtek 8 channel
    and the other uses ADI 6 channel. But, some of these 8 channel
    implementations, steal from other interfaces, to get pins on the
    chip to carry the other two channels, so read carefully to find
    out which interface is shared with the two extra channels. In
    short, there is no appreciable difference between the two
    onboard audio solutions - if you are an audiophile, they will
    both be wanting, in terms of noise floor.

    If you are an overclocker, the single biggest difference, is
    the possibility of "video artifacts" at high overclock (CPU
    clocked at 250MHz, instead of the normal 200MHz for an FSB800
    processor). You can read the details here:

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

    As for which exact models of Asus boards, with 865PE, are affected,
    that thread might not make clear for you. So, I would say the
    P4C800 offers the _chance_ of fewer problems if overclocking.
    It is possible another vendor's 865PE boards don't have the
    same problems, and that thread might mention some of them.

    For the LAN thing, the difference looks like this:

    P4C800-E P4P800-E
    --------------- ---------------
    | 875 | | 865 |
    --------------- ---------------
    | | |
    266MB/sec 266MB/sec 266MB/sec
    | | |
    Intel Southbridge Southbridge
    Gigabit | | | |
    LAN SATA+ 133MB/sec SATA+ 133MB/sec
    PCI Bus PCI Bus
    | |
    +-- Firewire +-- Marvell
    | etc. | Gigabit
    PCI | LAN
    slots |
    +-- Firewire
    | etc.
    PCI
    slots

    In both cases, there are a couple of interfaces in the Southbridge
    that have access to the 266MB/sec bandwidth. That is what the
    "SATA+" is referring to. The "Firewire etc." refers to onboard
    peripherals, which are fairly similar on the two boards.

    Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
    So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
    every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA. (I picked
    up a A7N8X-E a few days ago, and the overclock recovery mostly
    works on that one. The best part of the BIOS on that board, is,
    even if you have to power off to get control of the board again,
    all your settings are still there, so in a matter of 30 minutes,
    I had figured out enough settings for a decent start at
    overclocking. So far, I haven't had to touch the Clear CMOS
    jumper on the A7N8X-E. I've stopped trying to overclock the
    P4C800-E.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Cold_Canuck wrote:

    > I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
    > comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
    > between these 2 boards.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
    >
    > Thanks

    For one, the P4C supports ECC RAM; the P4P does not. Hardly matters,
    unless you have valuable data.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Cold_Canuck wrote:
    >
    >> I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
    >> comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
    >> between these 2 boards.
    >>
    >> Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > For one, the P4C supports ECC RAM; the P4P does not. Hardly matters,
    > unless you have valuable data.

    Note the Intel CSA Gigabit LAN on P4C800-E Deluxe.
    In short it means LAN data doesn't use the PCI-bus.
    Go to www.intel.com and search for "CSA"
    Gr. Jan

    The P4P800-E Deluxe uses the Intel 865 chipset and is somewhat slower and
    less stable.
    The P4C800-E Deluxe uses the newer, faster, and more stable Intel 875
    chipset.

    --
    DaveW

    "Cold_Canuck" <cold_canuck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have looked over the specs at the Asus site and checked the
    > comparison sheet and I still can't tell what the differences are
    > between these 2 boards.
    >
    > Can someone enlighten me before I go and make my purchase
    >
    > Thanks

    "Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "

    This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
    OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
    holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
    the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
    even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save fronm
    the bios.

    You simply just dont "power off" you UNPLUG the power . You did not have to
    go thru all that BS bro if you knew this :)

    The P4C verses the P4P when they first came out was the large price gap..
    The latter mentioned "P" is based on the Intel 865 chipset verses the "C"
    based on the 875 chipset.

    It all depends what you want to do with your computer; I run allot of lan
    based stuff so I wanted the Intel gigabit that does not put a load on the
    PCI bus, so I was willing to pay a bit more. If you can afford it, get the
    P4C..That is my take. Good luck!!

> [...]
    > peripherals, which are fairly similar on the two boards.
    >
    > Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    > I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    > from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    > overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
    > So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
    > every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA. (I picked
    > up a A7N8X-E a few days ago, and the overclock recovery mostly
    > works on that one. The best part of the BIOS on that board, is,
    > even if you have to power off to get control of the board again,
    > all your settings are still there, so in a matter of 30 minutes,
    > I had figured out enough settings for a decent start at
    > overclocking. So far, I haven't had to touch the Clear CMOS
    > jumper on the A7N8X-E. I've stopped trying to overclock the

    Thanks for all the great posts, this is information that I never would
    have discovered on the Asus site. Much appreciated folks. I guess if
    my budget allows the Pc version looks like the more long term
    solution.

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:42:32 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    >I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    >from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    >overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings!
    >So, I disable the Promise controller each time, etc., after
    >every CMOS clear operation, and that to me is a PITA.

    Yeah, I wanted to comment to you my experience with this board. I
    RMA'd a p4p800 and I got a p4p800-e back. I found the p4p800 to work
    exactly as you describe vis-a-vis a failed overclock. However during
    my first few days of experimenting with the p4p800-e, I found that a
    failed overclock of cpu FSB got me back into the bios, like on the
    older boards. Then this morning I was experimenting with 2-2-2 cas
    settings, which my RAM did not like, and I went into the bad bios
    checksum thingie. I removed the battery, switched the cmos jumper and
    had to do my bios configs again. Just wondering as this was the first
    time this happened to me with the p4p800-e. I was beginning to think
    that something had been change on this board from the p4p-800, but I
    guess not.

    still; wondering, eric

    On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 04:48:44 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:

    >> "Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    >> I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    >> from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    >> overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "
    >

    > This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
    > OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
    > holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
    > the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
    > even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save fronm
    > the bios.

    The same here with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
    No BIOS problem with overclock that does not work.

    In article <tv5tl05ahq0etomql3us4b1928roe1pjub@4ax.com>, Ken
    <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 04:48:44 -0700, "Scott" <lvscott@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    > >> "Oh, and if you are an overclocker, the P4C800-E is annoying.
    > >> I tried overclocking it, and it does not automatically recover
    > >> from an overclock. I had to clear the CMOS, to escape from each
    > >> overclocking experiment, and then re-enter all my settings! "
    > >

    > > This has never happened to me; My P4C-800-E recovers everytime from a bad
    > > OC,, The key is to SWITCH OFF THE POWER SUPPLY or unplug it, reboot while
    > > holding down the "insert" key, make sure you have the F-1 option enabled in
    > > the bios and poof, all your settings will be exactly what they were before,
    > > even after the reset to the stock cpu speed. Simply then exit and save
    fronm
    > > the bios.
    >
    > The same here with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
    > No BIOS problem with overclock that does not work.

    I'd like to test that right now, but I'm using parts from the
    P4C800-E to test the A7N8X-E. My symptoms were, on reboot I would
    get a message about BIOS checksum corrupt, and would I like to flash
    the BIOS. Will the BIOS listen to the <Insert> key, when the
    main body of BIOS code claims to be corrupt ? And, is that the
    same symptoms you guys got - a claim of BIOS corruption ? I
    would never have guessed you could escape from that, and that
    is why I've been clearing the CMOS, to return clocks to normal.
    (I'm no overclocking expert - just occasional experiments when
    I get bored...)

    I guess the answer to that is right here :-) I'll have a go at
    this when I put all the stuff back in the P4C800-E.
    http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=515774&postcount=12

    Paul

Asus Motherboards Product