From: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com
Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:02:25 PM
To: xxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
Subject: failure delivery

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<xxxxx@comcast.net>:
63.240.76.26 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 556 null byte in data

<end of failure message>

Any idea what "556 null byte in data" means and how to fix it? The
address he sent the orignal message to is valid as he used to be able
to send to it all the time with his old dialup ISP.

Thanks,
Bob

And this is an ASUS question because.... ?

Dave

"Bob" <am_dew@REMOVepanixThis.com> wrote in message news:cjkm46$n21$1@reader2.panix.com...

| A freind is using IncrediMail with his new SBC Yahoo DSL account and
| some of his outbound mail is bouncing back to him, most noteably those
| sent to addresses in the @comcast.net domain. Mail to all other
| addresses is being delivered just fine.
|
| Here is one example of the delivery failure messages he sent me with
| the actual addreses xxxx'd out:
|
| From: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com
| Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:02:25 PM
| To: xxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
| Subject: failure delivery
|
| Message from yahoo.com.
| Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
|
| <xxxxx@comcast.net>:
| 63.240.76.26 failed after I sent the message.
| Remote host said: 556 null byte in data
|
| <end of failure message>
|
| Any idea what "556 null byte in data" means and how to fix it? The
| address he sent the orignal message to is valid as he used to be able
| to send to it all the time with his old dialup ISP.
|
| Thanks,
| Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My apologies...I obviously posted to the wrong newsgroup. I cancelled
it shortly after my posting but obviously it got propogated before
that.

Bob

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
:And this is an ASUS question because.... ?
:
:Dave
:
:
:
:
:
:"Bob" <am_dew@REMOVepanixThis.com> wrote in message news:cjkm46$n21$1@reader2.panix.com...
:|
:| A freind is using IncrediMail with his new SBC Yahoo DSL account and
:| some of his outbound mail is bouncing back to him, most noteably those
:| sent to addresses in the @comcast.net domain. Mail to all other
:| addresses is being delivered just fine.
:|
:| Here is one example of the delivery failure messages he sent me with
:| the actual addreses xxxx'd out:
:|
:| From: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com
:| Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:02:25 PM
:| To: xxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
:|

Bob wrote:
> A freind is using IncrediMail with his new SBC Yahoo DSL account and
> some of his outbound mail is bouncing back to him, most noteably those
> sent to addresses in the @comcast.net domain. Mail to all other
> addresses is being delivered just fine.
>
> Here is one example of the delivery failure messages he sent me with
> the actual addreses xxxx'd out:
>
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com
> Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:02:25 PM
> To: xxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
> Subject: failure delivery
>
> Message from yahoo.com.
> Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
>
> <xxxxx@comcast.net>:
> 63.240.76.26 failed after I sent the message.
> Remote host said: 556 null byte in data
>
> <end of failure message>
>
> Any idea what "556 null byte in data" means and how to fix it? The
> address he sent the orignal message to is valid as he used to be able
> to send to it all the time with his old dialup ISP.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

SBC as well as others have implemented some reverse look up filters that can
be a real pain in the ass. They ended up blocking some important mail for
our company that ended up being classified as spam since the sender did not
have their server registered properly. If you are using a webhosting
account on SBC or the recipient has the same filters on their end, turn off
the spam traps and all should work. This error was on a tape recorded
message SBC put on the help line months ago.

HTH

Shannon

David H. Lipman wrote:
> And this is an ASUS question because.... ?
>
> Dave
>

> "Bob" <am_dew@REMOVepanixThis.com> wrote in message
>>
>> A freind is using IncrediMail with his new SBC Yahoo DSL account and
>> some of his outbound mail is bouncing back to him, most noteably
>> those
>> sent to addresses in the @comcast.net domain. Mail to all other
>> addresses is being delivered just fine.
>>
>> Here is one example of the delivery failure messages he sent me with
>> the actual addreses xxxx'd out:
>>
>> From: MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com
>> Date: Friday, October 01, 2004 2:02:25 PM
>> To: xxxxxx@sbcglobal.net
>> Subject: failure delivery
>>
>> Message from yahoo.com.
>> Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
>>
>> <xxxxx@comcast.net>:
>> 63.240.76.26 failed after I sent the message.
>> Remote host said: 556 null byte in data
>>
>> <end of failure message>
>>
>> Any idea what "556 null byte in data" means and how to fix it? The
>> address he sent the orignal message to is valid as he used to be able
>> to send to it all the time with his old dialup ISP.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

top posting net cop - if you can't help then back off!

Shannon

Help ?

Since when is email an ASUS problem. The OP knew it was a mistake to make the post and he
is intelligent to both admit it and make the apology. I applaud the OP. You're just an
ignorant fool. Off Topic posts like this should not get assistance. Posts that are Off
Topic such as this should be posted in an appropriate News Group. Since there are tens of
thousands of News Groups that isn't a problem.

Top Posting -- The top post <--> bottom post argument is the biggest bunch of BS on the
Internet. Its the content that counts or can't you see the trees through the forest.

Dave

"sbb78247" <sbb78247@hotmail.com> wrote in message

| top posting net cop - if you can't help then back off!
|
| Shannon

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

> Help ?
>
> Since when is email an ASUS problem. The OP knew it was a mistake to make
> the post and he
> is intelligent to both admit it and make the apology. I applaud the OP.
> You're just an
> ignorant fool. Off Topic posts like this should not get assistance.
> Posts that are Off
> Topic such as this should be posted in an appropriate News Group. Since
> there are tens of
> thousands of News Groups that isn't a problem.
>
> Top Posting -- The top post <--> bottom post argument is the biggest bunch
> of BS on the
> Internet. Its the content that counts or can't you see the trees through
> the forest.
>
> Dave

Because it messes up the reading order.

Why is top posting bad?

Tell me, do you read books backwards?

Why shouldn't he get assistance? If someone here knows the answer then what
is stopping them replying with it - surely you aren't so petty as to hold
back an answer if someone makes the mistake of using the wrong group?

While it is true there is an order of posting that makes reading a thread easier, most don't
snip data and who wants to scroll down to the very end of several KB of data to read a dozen
or so words.

What I find a problem are those who become religious about the Top Post complaint. Again it
is the content that counts. If one bottom posts and fails to snip, one can consider it
worse than top posting. At least with top posting you can see the answer right away. Since
it is in a thread, the statement being replied to is in the latter post.

As to answering Off Topic matter, if you allow Off Topic matter once, others reading the
thread will consider it to be OK to post Off Topic matter in the future. Soon you will have
a News Group polluted with queries that are not part of the News Group FAQ or charter.

Note that I did not dismiss nor rebuke the OP. I simply asked the OP's query relevance to
the topic matter of the News Group. The OP agreed is not relevant.

Dave

"Phil" <_invalid_@no_spam_.invalid_> wrote in message
| Because it messes up the reading order.
|
| Why is top posting bad?
|
| Tell me, do you read books backwards?
|
| Why shouldn't he get assistance? If someone here knows the answer then what
| is stopping them replying with it - surely you aren't so petty as to hold
| back an answer if someone makes the mistake of using the wrong group?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

sbb78247 <sbb78247@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

:SBC as well as others have implemented some reverse look up filters that can
:be a real pain in the ass. They ended up blocking some important mail for
:eek:ur company that ended up being classified as spam since the sender did not
:have their server registered properly. If you are using a webhosting
:account on SBC or the recipient has the same filters on their end, turn off
:the spam traps and all should work. This error was on a tape recorded
:message SBC put on the help line months ago.

Shannon, thanks. I hate to post any more about this since I am in the
wrong group, but the culprit turned out to be the Panda anti-virus
program, which this person had installed and nothing to do with SBC or
Comcast. If you're interested in more info, eMail me.

Again, my apologies for posting in the wrong group! No use making a
big deal out of it, so you all can now go back to your originall
scheduled program, OK? :)

Bob

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>While it is true there is an order of posting that makes reading a thread easier, most don't
>snip data and who wants to scroll down to the very end of several KB of data to read a dozen
>or so words.

So you know how to post properly, but you choose not to do so.

If have read all RFCs. There is no *proper* way to post. There are better ways in in
varied situations.

And yes, I choose to top post. And that's what it is -- a simple choice.

Dave

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
| So you know how to post properly, but you choose not to do so.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:25:45 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>If have read all RFCs. There is no *proper* way to post. There are better ways in in
>varied situations.

All the RFCs? And what about the IENs?

>And yes, I choose to top post. And that's what it is -- a simple choice.

The RFCs are concerned about protocols between systems. Except for
such issues as ASN.1 or XML or MIME types they are not concerned with
email contents. Instead of an RFC you need to consult guides on
Netiquette.

-W-

>Dave
>

><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>| So you know how to post properly, but you choose not to do so.

Who are you -- Emily News Post ? ;-)

Dave

"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
| On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:25:45 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
| >If have read all RFCs. There is no *proper* way to post. There are better ways in in
| >varied situations.
|
| All the RFCs? And what about the IENs?
| >
| >And yes, I choose to top post. And that's what it is -- a simple choice.
|
| The RFCs are concerned about protocols between systems. Except for
| such issues as ASN.1 or XML or MIME types they are not concerned with
| email contents. Instead of an RFC you need to consult guides on
| Netiquette.
|
| -W-
| >
| >Dave
| >

| ><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
| >| So you know how to post properly, but you choose not to do so.
| >|

Great one, Dave!

> Who are you -- Emily News Post ? ;-)
>
> Dave
>

> "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
> | On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:25:45 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
> | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
> |
> | >If have read all RFCs. There is no *proper* way to post. There are
> better ways in in
> | >varied situations.
> |
> | All the RFCs? And what about the IENs?
> | >
> | >And yes, I choose to top post. And that's what it is -- a simple
> choice.
> |
> | The RFCs are concerned about protocols between systems. Except for
> | such issues as ASN.1 or XML or MIME types they are not concerned with
> | email contents. Instead of an RFC you need to consult guides on
> | Netiquette.
> |
> | -W-
> | >
> | >Dave
> | >

> | ><DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message