modem problem - P4P800-E, SupraMax External, Win 2K

I just bought a SupraMax 56K External V.92, #SM56E
When I tried to install it, Windows locked up. After I rebooted
I was able to install the modem, but when I try to connect to
the internet, or run modem diagnostics, Windows freezes up
and I have to reboot.

Do you have any ideas about what the problem is?
Everything looks good in device manager.

my system:

Windows 2000 Professional w/ service pack 3
ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mainboard
P4 2.8EGHz
1GB Geil Dual Channel PC3200
Thermaltake 420 watt psu
WD 80 GB hard drive
ATI 7200 LE 32MB video card

+

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
http://johnnyasia.info

"If you want to know what the future of music sounds like..listen to
Johnny Asia, then you'll know!" - Jazz guitar legend Dom Minasi

Review from
Listen.com, Your Guide to Online Music
"When a man describes himself as a "guitarist from the future" the
warning bells go off, ... But Johnny Asia really sounds like he's
doing something new. .....Check the mans' music out and hear something
different."

Johnny Asia wrote:
> I just bought a SupraMax 56K External V.92, #SM56E
> When I tried to install it, Windows locked up. After I rebooted
> I was able to install the modem, but when I try to connect to
> the internet, or run modem diagnostics, Windows freezes up
> and I have to reboot.
>
> Do you have any ideas about what the problem is?
> Everything looks good in device manager.
>
> my system:
>
> Windows 2000 Professional w/ service pack 3
> ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mainboard
> P4 2.8EGHz
> 1GB Geil Dual Channel PC3200
> Thermaltake 420 watt psu
> WD 80 GB hard drive
> ATI 7200 LE 32MB video card

Just a thought... Check CMOS (BIOS) to make sure your communication
ports (COM1 & COM2) are not disabled?

Steven

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:23:46 -0500, Steven Hilgendorf
<stevenmhPLEASE@REMOVEwi.rr.com> wrote:

>Just a thought... Check CMOS (BIOS) to make sure your communication
>ports (COM1 & COM2) are not disabled?
>
>Steven

I checked, they are enabled.

Without details, then every response will only be wild
speculation. For example, all drivers for a previous modem
were removed before this modem was installed. Right? I don't
see that critical step mentioned. Without those details, then
every answer is speculation.

Johnny Asia wrote:
> I just bought a SupraMax 56K External V.92, #SM56E
> When I tried to install it, Windows locked up. After I rebooted
> I was able to install the modem, but when I try to connect to
> the internet, or run modem diagnostics, Windows freezes up
> and I have to reboot.
>
> Do you have any ideas about what the problem is?
> Everything looks good in device manager.
>
> my system: ...

>I just bought a SupraMax 56K External V.92, #SM56E
>When I tried to install it, Windows locked up. After I rebooted
>I was able to install the modem, but when I try to connect to
>the internet, or run modem diagnostics, Windows freezes up
>and I have to reboot.

I just did a clean install in Windows 2000, and used the new driver
from diamondmm.com, the exact same things happened. It locked
up Windows during the install.

Could it be a mainboard problem, bad com port??
hardward conflict?

Johnny

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:54:57 -0400, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Without details, then every response will only be wild
>speculation. For example, all drivers for a previous modem
>were removed before this modem was installed. Right? I don't
>see that critical step mentioned. Without those details, then
>every answer is speculation.

There was no modem installed, it's a new computer.

possible bad modem ?