XP freezes at logo screen (on boot)

June 24, 2004 11:24:46 AM

Hey all,
A little history: My machine is a newer AMD winXP box. I had occasion
to reinstall windows (a bug or virus that ran all .exe files with 100%
CPU). Afterwards I went to the MS site and installed all the patches
(including SP1). Rebooted. NO USB mouse. Tried other USB mouse. No
good. Put on the little DIN/PS2 adapter, rebooted. Mouse works. About
a day after that, I reboot the machine, the drives spin up, but no
signal to the monitor (black). I'm using a NVIDIA 128 PCI card and I
notice the fan isn't spinning on it. I pull it and put in an ATI PCI
card, reboot. Same problem. I pull that and put in an old non-PCI card
and reboot. Now I get to the winXP logo screen (with the little green
progress bar) and it freezes (this is probably what was happening with
the PCI cards, I just couldn't see it).

I boot (with the old non-PCI card) to safe mode and windows starts ok.
Reboot regular and it freezes at the same spot.

Any ideas? Bad motherboard? Power supply? I'm wondering about no
power to the PCI video card (fan not working).

A side note, I've plugged in two different, working hard drives and have
the same problem with both.

Help?!

-b
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:10:01 PM

REPLACE YOUR NEWER AMD MOTHERBOARD WITH A NEWER NEWER MOTHERBOARD AND MAKE SURE YOUR POWER SUPPLY IS WORKING PROPERLY BEFORE DOING THAT.

YOU HAVE SEVERE POWER ISSUES, EITHER FROM A FAILING MOBO OR FROM A BAD POWER SUPPLY

AND NO I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU, I HAVE AN APP AT WORK THAT I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF USING THAT REQUIRES ALL CAPPS

!