A7v333 - Add memory to break board ?????

Hello,

I've got a A7V333 and had no problems at all with it for about 20
months. I was putting together an order to build a PC for a friend so
thought I'd get another 512 ram for mine.

I powered the PC down and inserted the new dimm - when I tried to
reboot the box I got the "System failed CPU test".

Stripped the board of all peripherals and even take the board out in
case of any shorts going on.

Tried reseting the CMOS and still no joy. Put the spare Athlon in and
started getting "system failed memory test". I tried 3 different dimms
and kept getting the same message.

Put my previous CPU back in an started getting the "System failed CPU
test" message again.

The memory and the processor both work on the another board -

Any Ideas anyone !!
5 answers Last reply
More about a7v333 memory break board

    Did you happen to unplug the PC? ATX boards aren't completely powered down
    until plug is pulled.
    If not, you're board is dead. Live and learn.

    You may want to try putting the new dimm in the third memory slot. Mine
    wouldn't boot unless the 2 sticks were in the #1 & #3 slots. Slot 1 and 2
    together was a no go.

    -Mike

    "Dave Lardner" <davelardner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a A7V333 and had no problems at all with it for about 20
    > months. I was putting together an order to build a PC for a friend so
    > thought I'd get another 512 ram for mine.
    >
    > I powered the PC down and inserted the new dimm - when I tried to
    > reboot the box I got the "System failed CPU test".
    >
    > Stripped the board of all peripherals and even take the board out in
    > case of any shorts going on.
    >
    > Tried reseting the CMOS and still no joy. Put the spare Athlon in and
    > started getting "system failed memory test". I tried 3 different dimms
    > and kept getting the same message.
    >
    > Put my previous CPU back in an started getting the "System failed CPU
    > test" message again.
    >
    > The memory and the processor both work on the another board -
    >
    > Any Ideas anyone !!

    "Dave Lardner" <davelardner@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I powered the PC down and inserted the new dimm - when I tried to
    > reboot the box I got the "System failed CPU test".

    Don't know about your board, but those voice diagnostics are apparently
    known to give false failure messages on the A7N8X I have. I just turned the
    speech reporter off and all is good.

    Dave Lardner wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a A7V333 and had no problems at all with it for about 20
    > months. I was putting together an order to build a PC for a friend so
    > thought I'd get another 512 ram for mine.
    >
    > I powered the PC down and inserted the new dimm - when I tried to
    > reboot the box I got the "System failed CPU test".
    >
    > Stripped the board of all peripherals and even take the board out in
    > case of any shorts going on.
    >
    > Tried reseting the CMOS and still no joy. Put the spare Athlon in and
    > started getting "system failed memory test". I tried 3 different dimms
    > and kept getting the same message.
    >
    > Put my previous CPU back in an started getting the "System failed CPU
    > test" message again.
    >
    > The memory and the processor both work on the another board -
    >
    > Any Ideas anyone !!
    Try resetting the CMOS again AND changing the JEN jumper, at least till
    it boots once. Like Mike says, you may also need to move the memory
    around in different slots . Work with one stick at first.

    melin_dma@yahoo.com wrote in message news:<ZtD7d.170804$787.161686@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
    > Did you happen to unplug the PC? ATX boards aren't completely powered down
    > until plug is pulled.
    > If not, you're board is dead. Live and learn.

    I've got a feeling you could be right. For some reason I forgot to
    remove the cord :(

    Oh well at least it gives me en excuse to upgrade to a 64 bit
    processor and board.

Asus Memory Motherboards