Strange keyboard problem (USB-to-PS/2 Adapter)

June 24, 2004 8:30:29 PM

Hello,

I have an USB-to-PS/2 adapter to connect my PS/2 mouse (Logitech) and my
PS/2 keyboard (Cherry, german keyboard layout) to my laptop (Dell
Latitude D800).

The mouse and the keyboard generally works. But if I press the del- or
pos1-key a screenshot is copied to the clipboard (like if I press the
print key). Especially if I do copy and paste operations using the
keyboard (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V) it is a bothering problem that the
screenshot is pasted instead of the copied text, if I pressed the del
key before.

I did not need to install a special driver for the USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
There was no special driver included. The WinXP HID keyboard driver (Win
XP Professional, SP1) was automatically installed (kbdclass.sys,
kbdhid.sys) after connecting the USB adapter. I also deleted and
reinstalled the driver. This did not help.

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Philipp
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 8:30:30 PM

get an english keyboard, the german keyboard layout and function/special keys layout are different than an english keyboard's.

the german keyboard's del key is the same ansi # as the print screen key of an english based keyboard. hence you think your hitting del but instead it's print screen as far as the os thinks

"Philipp Pfeiffer" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an USB-to-PS/2 adapter to connect my PS/2 mouse (Logitech) and my
> PS/2 keyboard (Cherry, german keyboard layout) to my laptop (Dell
> Latitude D800).
>
> The mouse and the keyboard generally works. But if I press the del- or
> pos1-key a screenshot is copied to the clipboard (like if I press the
> print key). Especially if I do copy and paste operations using the
> keyboard (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V) it is a bothering problem that the
> screenshot is pasted instead of the copied text, if I pressed the del
> key before.
>
> I did not need to install a special driver for the USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
> There was no special driver included. The WinXP HID keyboard driver (Win
> XP Professional, SP1) was automatically installed (kbdclass.sys,
> kbdhid.sys) after connecting the USB adapter. I also deleted and
> reinstalled the driver. This did not help.
>
> Any ideas how to solve the problem?
>
> Philipp

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:25:19 PM

Philipp Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an USB-to-PS/2 adapter to connect my PS/2 mouse (Logitech) and my
> PS/2 keyboard (Cherry, german keyboard layout) to my laptop (Dell
> Latitude D800).
>
> The mouse and the keyboard generally works. But if I press the del- or
> pos1-key a screenshot is copied to the clipboard (like if I press the
> print key). Especially if I do copy and paste operations using the
> keyboard (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V) it is a bothering problem that the
> screenshot is pasted instead of the copied text, if I pressed the del
> key before.
>
> I did not need to install a special driver for the USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
> There was no special driver included. The WinXP HID keyboard driver (Win
> XP Professional, SP1) was automatically installed (kbdclass.sys,
> kbdhid.sys) after connecting the USB adapter. I also deleted and
> reinstalled the driver. This did not help.
>
> Any ideas how to solve the problem?
>
> Philipp

Do what I did (for the same laptop). I use the two USB ports in the back
for the mouse and keyboard (both wireless Logitech). Then I purchased a
USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and use that for any USB connections. Right now, I
use it to connect a USB drive and a wireless NIC.

courtney sends....

One other thing you can do. Belkin has a keyboard/mouse device. It has
two PS/2 connections on one side, and one on the other. This will allow
you to connect both, the keyboard and mouse, to the single PS/2 on the
laptop.
June 28, 2004 2:18:10 PM

Hi Corutney,

> Do what I did (for the same laptop). I use the two USB ports in the back
> for the mouse and keyboard (both wireless Logitech). Then I purchased a
> USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and use that for any USB connections. [...]
My problem is not how to connect the keyboard and mouse to the laptop
but how to get my keyboard working properly.
I have no ps/2 ports at the laptop, so I need the usb-to-ps/2 adapter to
connect my ps/2 keyboard. I do not need additional usb ports.

Best regards,
Philipp
July 16, 2009 6:51:30 PM

your not a lone! I've had that same problem when I used an older keyboard which had a ps2 plug with a usb converter on my laptop that didnt have a ps2 port. I liked the older dell keyboard better, the keys are higher and had better 'bounce'. The new one has very very thin keys and they get stuck quite a bit.

I thought I was going crazy! It seemed like it was continually copying the full desktop (via alt-print sreen). I could open any program that accepts graphical input and paste it. It appeared to update every few seconds, 5 or 10. This was bad enough, but more importantly, when I program I use the copy and paste functionality tremendously - Try going without it for an hour or so.

My resolution is just to use the cheapy new keyboard.
!