BIOS ROM checksum error - A7N8X-E Deluxe

My son has the dreaded Bootlock error on his homebuilt system.

We have successfully gotten the Awardflash utility to work, but once
it goes thru the routine of flashing the BIOS, it suddenly reboots.
We are in an un-ending loop of flasing the BIOS. There is never a
pause for us to hit any <F1> option that explained in the help files.

Any ideas on the next steps?

We have cleared CMOS etc b4 flashing.

Thanks,

Barry
1 answer Last reply
More about bios checksum error a7n8x deluxe

    In article <5567c7c9.0410030611.277118@posting.google.com>,
    barry-dell@excite.com (BarryN) wrote:

    > My son has the dreaded Bootlock error on his homebuilt system.
    >
    > We have successfully gotten the Awardflash utility to work, but once
    > it goes thru the routine of flashing the BIOS, it suddenly reboots.
    > We are in an un-ending loop of flasing the BIOS. There is never a
    > pause for us to hit any <F1> option that explained in the help files.
    >
    > Any ideas on the next steps?
    >
    > We have cleared CMOS etc b4 flashing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry

    If no one else offers a suggestion, then visit badflash.com and
    order a replacement BIOS chip. Since you have cleared the CMOS,
    I don't see a reason for it to stay in a loop - unless at some
    point, you flashed the wrong BIOS into the board ? It should
    either be completely dead (i.e. when the boot block gets blasted),
    or it should check the file you are offering it, verify the file
    is appropriate for the board, and then successfully flash it.
    A loop implies something has become very confused - as in a
    logical inconsistency of some sort. (For example, a 512KB flash
    program living in a 256KB flash chip, will overrun the end every
    time...) A new flash chip will straighten it all out. (Unless
    someone in the audience knows another one of those magic key
    sequences :-)

    If you are into buying insurance, invest in a BIOS Savior
    (ioss.com.tw). These cost about $25, and give your motherboard
    two BIOS chips running at the same time. A switch allows you to
    select a BIOS chip at runtime, so you can boot from "A", then
    switch to "B" and use the flash routine until "B" is successfully
    flashed. Then boot from "B", and flash "A" if you want. The BIOS
    Savior is great if you want to hack your own BIOS, or use a hacked
    BIOS, as it takes the danger out of flashing.

    If you can find a vendor who will flash the Savior before shipping
    it, then you eliminate the visit to badflash.com . But most
    vendors ship it unprogrammed, and it cannot be used in that state,
    to rescue you from your current predicament. (Hmm. Maybe someone
    can convince the badflash guy to stock Saviors ? Now, that would
    be a more economical solution than the programming service offered
    by Eksit.)

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus BIOS Rom Checksum Motherboards