Question on ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008 SCSI feat..

Does this mean I can boot my IDE OS drive from scsi?
I have two Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller scsi cards. It
would be nice if I can do this, but with SCSI already supporting 7
(see below) drives, will it know which is the OS drive??

Is this what the latest BIOS is for (I hope so!)?

Comments please.
TIA

==================================
All these are hooked up on SCSI:

DC WD120 00BB-53CAA0 SCSI Disk Device
WDC WD20 00JB-34EVA0 SCSI Disk Device
WDC WD20 0BB-00AUA1 SCSI Disk Device
WDC WD200BB-75AUA1
WDC WD250 00JB-00FUA0 SCSI Disk Device
WDC WD40 0BB-00CLB0 SCSI Disk Device
WDC WD60 0BB-32CXA0 SCSI Disk Device

"Dunny Rummy" <fdsss@dfdsf.com> wrote in message
> Does this mean I can boot my IDE OS drive from scsi?
> I have two Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller scsi cards. It
> would be nice if I can do this, but with SCSI already supporting 7
> (see below) drives, will it know which is the OS drive??
>

> Is this what the latest BIOS is for (I hope so!)?
>
> Comments please.
> TIA

The Promise TX2 cards are IDE not SCSI, but when you install the drivers in
Windows, they show up as SCSI boards. I think that is a Windows quirk, like
calling directories "folders". Go figure eh? In Linux they are identified
properly as IDE drives.

It's probably a setting in your BIOS that will allow you to boot from the
TX2 boards. On my dual PIII 500 system, I didn't have to do anything, the
system just booted from the first drive on the first TX2 card irrigardless
of the BIOS settings.

Now to identify your drives. If you watch the boot screen and can write
really fast, do that - just kidding. The drives attached to the cards are
recognized in the order that the cards are in the system. If you look at
your motherboard, or manual, the PCI slots are numbered. The first slot is
usually closest to the keyboard connector. Check you manual. The card in the
lowest numbered slot will be recognized as the first card. The cards also
have IDE1 and IDE2 marked on the card where the cables connect. So the first
drive will be the master drive attached to IDE1 of the first TX2 card.

In widows, the drives are numbered Drive0, Drive1, etc. while Linux calls
then /dev/hde, dev/hdf, etc

The system will boot off the first TX2 drive in the system. This doesn't
mean your O/S has to be on that drive. The Windows system can reside on any
drive, but it does need a small boot partition on the first drive. Linux on
the other hand can be anywhere on any of the drives. However, in either case
the MBR (Master Boot Record) must reside on the first TX2 drive.

This doesn't really matter. When you install any o/s, it will give you the
option of where it can be installed and configure the boot drive for you.

Does that help ?

TRENDING THREADS