A7V600-X booting to BIOS with incorrect cpu message

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2004 12:07:08 AM

Greetings all,
I've recently build a system for my daughter with the above board, AMD
2500 XP and ddr400 ram.
System worked for the first few weeks without probes, but has started to
boot into the BIOS reporting that the CPU speed setting is incorrect.
I then check the setting, which is right and exit the BIOS. sometimes it
boots normally and starts windoze 2k, other times it goes to restart
but hangs before POST.
This happens about 1 out of 3 times.
I've googled the problem and only came up 3 different reasons - memory -
power supply - overheating.
I've swapped the memory with another machine - seemed OK
Power supply is new and again seems OK
It's not overheating.

I'm now stuck! Have tried sending a message to Asus but just get 'server
not responding, please try later' or some such cr*p. ANY
help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
John
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 3:39:58 AM

Had the same problem updated bios looks like it fixed it

"Wirral John" <istherelifeinwirral@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
> I've recently build a system for my daughter with the above board, AMD
> 2500 XP and ddr400 ram.
> System worked for the first few weeks without probes, but has started to
> boot into the BIOS reporting that the CPU speed setting is incorrect.
> I then check the setting, which is right and exit the BIOS. sometimes it
> boots normally and starts windoze 2k, other times it goes to restart
> but hangs before POST.
> This happens about 1 out of 3 times.
> I've googled the problem and only came up 3 different reasons - memory -
> power supply - overheating.
> I've swapped the memory with another machine - seemed OK
> Power supply is new and again seems OK
> It's not overheating.
>
> I'm now stuck! Have tried sending a message to Asus but just get 'server
> not responding, please try later' or some such cr*p. ANY
> help/suggestions would be great.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers
> John
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2004 9:04:50 PM

S. Thornton wrote:
> Had the same problem updated bios looks like it fixed it
>

> "Wirral John" <istherelifeinwirral@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Greetings all,
>>I've recently build a system for my daughter with the above board, AMD
>>2500 XP and ddr400 ram.
>>System worked for the first few weeks without probes, but has started to
>>boot into the BIOS reporting that the CPU speed setting is incorrect.
>>I then check the setting, which is right and exit the BIOS. sometimes it
>> boots normally and starts windoze 2k, other times it goes to restart
>>but hangs before POST.
>>This happens about 1 out of 3 times.
>>I've googled the problem and only came up 3 different reasons - memory -
>>power supply - overheating.
>>I've swapped the memory with another machine - seemed OK
>>Power supply is new and again seems OK
>>It's not overheating.
>>
>>I'm now stuck! Have tried sending a message to Asus but just get 'server
>>not responding, please try later' or some such cr*p. ANY
>>help/suggestions would be great.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Cheers
>> John

Many thanks for this. I see the latest BIOS is 1006, this the one you're
using?

Cheers
John
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2004 7:41:11 PM

Wirral John wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I've recently build a system for my daughter with the above board, AMD
> 2500 XP and ddr400 ram.
> System worked for the first few weeks without probes, but has started to
> boot into the BIOS reporting that the CPU speed setting is incorrect.
> I then check the setting, which is right and exit the BIOS. sometimes it
> boots normally and starts windoze 2k, other times it goes to restart
> but hangs before POST.
> This happens about 1 out of 3 times.
> I've googled the problem and only came up 3 different reasons - memory -
> power supply - overheating.
> I've swapped the memory with another machine - seemed OK
> Power supply is new and again seems OK
> It's not overheating.
>
> I'm now stuck! Have tried sending a message to Asus but just get 'server
> not responding, please try later' or some such cr*p. ANY
> help/suggestions would be great.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers
> John

In an attempt to help anyone else who comes accross the same fault, I
finally changed the memory to one of the recommended ones (Kingston 512
DDR400 ) as of the Asus web site.

This seems to have resolved the problem plus another one where the PC
wouldn't boot at all but just gave the motherboard beeps for no memory.

Hope this helps someone sometime.

Cheers
John
!