ACPI and P4 Hyper Threading support?

Hi all,

Does disabling ACPI in windows XP also disable hyper threading support on a
late model P4?

I've noticed that when loading a XP system and using F7 to force non ACPI
mode, that once the
system loads, I don't see a split processor usage screen in the task
manager.

If it does disable it, does this cripple the system?

And can it be re enabled without re enabling ACPI?

Thanks for any help,
Nate

Nate wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does disabling ACPI in windows XP also disable hyper threading support on a
> late model P4?
>
> I've noticed that when loading a XP system and using F7 to force non ACPI
> mode, that once the
> system loads, I don't see a split processor usage screen in the task
> manager.
>
> If it does disable it, does this cripple the system?
>
> And can it be re enabled without re enabling ACPI?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Nate

Hi,
this is a question of installation. You should disable "acpi" during
installation, but there are ways to get rid of it afterwards (google, ms
newsgroups).
Regards,
Niclaas

Nate wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does disabling ACPI in windows XP also disable hyper threading
> support on a late model P4?
>
> I've noticed that when loading a XP system and using F7 to force non
> ACPI mode, that once the
> system loads, I don't see a split processor usage screen in the task
> manager.
>
> If it does disable it, does this cripple the system?
>
> And can it be re enabled without re enabling ACPI?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811366

If you now run ACPI multiprocessor HAL you can probably switch to MPS
multiprocessor HAL, disabling ACPI but keeping HT.