Connection Problems

I'm having problems getting a laptop to connect to a wireless router, which
is connected to a cable modem. Windows XP reports that the wireless network
connection is connected, but when I try to browse using IE or login to
Messenger, I get the error "No connection to the Internet is currently
available". I cannot ping any of the LAN computers, and they cannot ping the
laptop.

When I click Properties for the Wireless Network, there are a number of
packets that have been sent, but zero that have been received.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

WinXP Pro (SP2) Setup
--------------------------
SSID = wireless
Network Authentication = Open
Data Encryption = WEP
IP Address = 192.168.2.100
Workgroup = WORKGROUP

Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router
Enable Wireless = Checked
SSID = wireless
Transfer Rate = automatic
Preamble = Long
Channel = 6
128 WEP Encryption
IP Address = 192.168.2.1

Buster
2 answers Last reply
More about connection problems

    turn off wep, and try using another workgroup name otherthan home or
    workgroup,

    mike

    "Buster Knight" <Buster Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having problems getting a laptop to connect to a wireless router,
    which
    > is connected to a cable modem. Windows XP reports that the wireless
    network
    > connection is connected, but when I try to browse using IE or login to
    > Messenger, I get the error "No connection to the Internet is currently
    > available". I cannot ping any of the LAN computers, and they cannot ping
    the
    > laptop.
    >
    > When I click Properties for the Wireless Network, there are a number of
    > packets that have been sent, but zero that have been received.
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > WinXP Pro (SP2) Setup
    > --------------------------
    > SSID = wireless
    > Network Authentication = Open
    > Data Encryption = WEP
    > IP Address = 192.168.2.100
    > Workgroup = WORKGROUP
    >
    > Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router
    > Enable Wireless = Checked
    > SSID = wireless
    > Transfer Rate = automatic
    > Preamble = Long
    > Channel = 6
    > 128 WEP Encryption
    > IP Address = 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Buster

    Try unchecking the "enable 802.1x" checkbox in the authentication tab(box is
    checked by default).

    "mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
    > turn off wep, and try using another workgroup name otherthan home or
    > workgroup,
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Buster Knight" <Buster Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm having problems getting a laptop to connect to a wireless router,
    > which
    >> is connected to a cable modem. Windows XP reports that the wireless
    > network
    >> connection is connected, but when I try to browse using IE or login to
    >> Messenger, I get the error "No connection to the Internet is currently
    >> available". I cannot ping any of the LAN computers, and they cannot ping
    > the
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> When I click Properties for the Wireless Network, there are a number of
    >> packets that have been sent, but zero that have been received.
    >>
    >> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> WinXP Pro (SP2) Setup
    >> --------------------------
    >> SSID = wireless
    >> Network Authentication = Open
    >> Data Encryption = WEP
    >> IP Address = 192.168.2.100
    >> Workgroup = WORKGROUP
    >>
    >> Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router
    >> Enable Wireless = Checked
    >> SSID = wireless
    >> Transfer Rate = automatic
    >> Preamble = Long
    >> Channel = 6
    >> 128 WEP Encryption
    >> IP Address = 192.168.2.1
    >>
    >> Buster

Connection Wireless Network Wireless Networking