Connection Problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 2, 2005 7:15:03 PM

I'm having problems getting a laptop to connect to a wireless router, which
is connected to a cable modem. Windows XP reports that the wireless network
connection is connected, but when I try to browse using IE or login to
Messenger, I get the error "No connection to the Internet is currently
available". I cannot ping any of the LAN computers, and they cannot ping the
laptop.

When I click Properties for the Wireless Network, there are a number of
packets that have been sent, but zero that have been received.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

WinXP Pro (SP2) Setup
--------------------------
SSID = wireless
Network Authentication = Open
Data Encryption = WEP
IP Address = 192.168.2.100
Workgroup = WORKGROUP

Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router
Enable Wireless = Checked
SSID = wireless
Transfer Rate = automatic
Preamble = Long
Channel = 6
128 WEP Encryption
IP Address = 192.168.2.1

Buster

More about : connection problems

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:38:31 AM

turn off wep, and try using another workgroup name otherthan home or
workgroup,

mike

"Buster Knight" <Buster Knight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having problems getting a laptop to connect to a wireless router,
which
> is connected to a cable modem. Windows XP reports that the wireless
network
> connection is connected, but when I try to browse using IE or login to
> Messenger, I get the error "No connection to the Internet is currently
> available". I cannot ping any of the LAN computers, and they cannot ping
the
> laptop.
>
> When I click Properties for the Wireless Network, there are a number of
> packets that have been sent, but zero that have been received.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> WinXP Pro (SP2) Setup
> --------------------------
> SSID = wireless
> Network Authentication = Open
> Data Encryption = WEP
> IP Address = 192.168.2.100
> Workgroup = WORKGROUP
>
> Dell TrueMobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router
> Enable Wireless = Checked
> SSID = wireless
> Transfer Rate = automatic
> Preamble = Long
> Channel = 6
> 128 WEP Encryption
> IP Address = 192.168.2.1
>
> Buster
January 3, 2005 8:51:10 AM

Try unchecking the "enable 802.1x" checkbox in the authentication tab(box is
checked by default).

!