A7N8X-E Memory Question / Blue Screens of Death

Hi all,
I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe based system (my sons computer) and have been
receiving intermittent blue screens of death (I also here the hard drive
power down) when playing games. Sometimes the error mentions nvdisplay but
usually it doesn't but varies which random numbers. Sorry to be vague. It
sometimes happens shortly after Windows has loaded and before I get chance
to start a game or application.

Things I've tried:
I have switched my graphics card and the fault remains.
I have ran Memory test for hours and it found no faults.
I have run 3DMark2003 for successive tests without it happening.
I have reinstalled my graphics card drivers and installed Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 2.
I have replaced the Power Supply.

The temperatures seem fine and the case is well ventilated 18C to 25C
motherboard temp, CPU runs about 38C-45C according to Asus monitoring
software. The system was fine for months and not used much as my son is
seldom here.

Its driving me nuts as all intermittent faults do. I looked at the memory
and noticed although one stick is single sided DDR 400 Crucial, the other
stick (they run in dual mode) is double sided with chips on both sides of
the DIMM (again a Crucial DDR 400). They are not the same as one was an
upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB some time ago. Would mixing single sided and
double sided DIMMS cause this error?

The system specs:
AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
2x512MB Crucial DIMM (1GB total)
Aopen FX5900 128MB Graphics Card with latest Nvida Driver (61.77?)
Onboard sound
80GB IBM Deskstart HDD EIDE
Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
reason!)
WinXP Pro SP2

Many thanks for any advice on how to track this annoying problem. Mys on has
given up using his PC because of it.

Regards,
Graham
18 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x memory question blue screens death

    download a program called memtest86 and let it run a diagnostic on the
    memory..maybe you have a bad stick...and non-matching memory may cause some
    issues also.

    In article <416266dd$0$2848$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The Old
    Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe based system (my sons computer) and have been
    > receiving intermittent blue screens of death (I also here the hard drive
    > power down) when playing games. Sometimes the error mentions nvdisplay but
    > usually it doesn't but varies which random numbers. Sorry to be vague. It
    > sometimes happens shortly after Windows has loaded and before I get chance
    > to start a game or application.
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > I have switched my graphics card and the fault remains.
    > I have ran Memory test for hours and it found no faults.
    > I have run 3DMark2003 for successive tests without it happening.
    > I have reinstalled my graphics card drivers and installed Windows XP Pro
    > Service Pack 2.
    > I have replaced the Power Supply.
    >
    > The temperatures seem fine and the case is well ventilated 18C to 25C
    > motherboard temp, CPU runs about 38C-45C according to Asus monitoring
    > software. The system was fine for months and not used much as my son is
    > seldom here.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts as all intermittent faults do. I looked at the memory
    > and noticed although one stick is single sided DDR 400 Crucial, the other
    > stick (they run in dual mode) is double sided with chips on both sides of
    > the DIMM (again a Crucial DDR 400). They are not the same as one was an
    > upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB some time ago. Would mixing single sided and
    > double sided DIMMS cause this error?
    >
    > The system specs:
    > AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
    > Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > 2x512MB Crucial DIMM (1GB total)
    > Aopen FX5900 128MB Graphics Card with latest Nvida Driver (61.77?)
    > Onboard sound
    > 80GB IBM Deskstart HDD EIDE
    > Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    > reason!)
    > WinXP Pro SP2
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice on how to track this annoying problem. Mys on has
    > given up using his PC because of it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham

    I've been experimenting here the last few days with that board and
    a mobile processor, and here are my results so far (still
    working on it):

    1) My mobile doesn't like too much voltage. Setting it to 1.75 would
    give an overclocking failure at startup. Using 1.65 seems to make
    it happier.
    2) In dual channel mode, I find problems at 200MHz clock speed.
    I get some stability at 180MHz (which gives DDR360/FSB360), and
    tried 12x180. 3DMark2001 = 16660. Rather than test for complete
    Prime95 stability, I moved on.
    3) I moved the two DIMMs to slot 1 and slot 2, for single channel
    mode. This allowed me to get to 200MHz. I tried 12x200 and it
    will run Prime95 for about 30 minutes before it gets an error.
    3DMark2001 = 17746. At this point, I don't know if this is
    still a memory problem, or if dropping the multiplier will help.
    (My only reason for the 12x multiplier, was to get it to fail
    faster, if it was going to.)

    I find memtest86 tends to pass all these configurations, and
    doesn't seem to be as sensitive a test as Prime95 (mersenne.org).

    The power consumption under load is about 110W, with the worst
    offender the +5V @ 15.6A, so I doubt it will be the power supply
    at fault.

    Over on nforcershq.com, there were reports that earlier BIOS may
    have been better for overclocking, but at this point I'm not
    really interested in trying to find and flash a bunch of old
    BIOS. I don't know if I could find an old BIOS like 1004 if I
    had to anyway. The board shipped with 1011 in it.

    To do stability testing, I don't immediately boot into Windows,
    as this could corrupt the disk or the registry. What I cooked
    up as a test method, is I downloaded the ISO for Knoppix3.6
    (700MB) and made a test CD. Knoppix is a read-only Linux system,
    that sets up a ramdisk for storage when it runs. I use a floppy
    to carry test code, such as Super_PI for Linux and Prime95
    for Linux. There are a few problems with memory management, so
    you have to be a little careful interpreting test results.
    I find I can run several copies of Prime95, by setting limits
    on memory consumption to say 32MB for each one, and then surf
    while the tests are running. Running "vmstat 5" in a console
    window allows monitoring free memory in the system. This is
    how I've been tuning the system. Once a config is stable enough
    not to crash for an hour or so, I can then connect up the hard
    drive, boot into Windows, and try 3DMark for a benchmark.

    So, things to try are, drop CPU clock and stay in dual channel
    mode, bump up multiplier. Or, move the two sticks to single
    channel mode, and leave the clock at 200MHz. As I'm still not
    finished, that is the best advice I can give so far. I haven't
    tried volt modding the Vchipset, as one post on nforcershq
    claims that for a system at 200MHz, you can only squeeze an
    extra 10MHz out with more than 1.6V on the chipset core
    voltage. The Vchipset mod used to help rev 1.04 A7N8X boards
    get above 180-185MHz, until the claim was a BIOS fix allowed
    higher speed operation.

    I am using CAS3 memory, and I vaguely remember someone suggesting
    that CAS2 memory might make the board happier. Maybe someone
    else who has tried both CAS2 and CAS3 can comment on that.

    HTH,
    Paul

    The Old Man wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe based system (my sons computer) and have been
    > receiving intermittent blue screens of death (I also here the hard drive
    > power down) when playing games. Sometimes the error mentions nvdisplay but
    > usually it doesn't but varies which random numbers. Sorry to be vague. It
    > sometimes happens shortly after Windows has loaded and before I get chance
    > to start a game or application.
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > I have switched my graphics card and the fault remains.
    > I have ran Memory test for hours and it found no faults.
    > I have run 3DMark2003 for successive tests without it happening.
    > I have reinstalled my graphics card drivers and installed Windows XP Pro
    > Service Pack 2.
    > I have replaced the Power Supply.
    >
    > The temperatures seem fine and the case is well ventilated 18C to 25C
    > motherboard temp, CPU runs about 38C-45C according to Asus monitoring
    > software. The system was fine for months and not used much as my son is
    > seldom here.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts as all intermittent faults do. I looked at the memory
    > and noticed although one stick is single sided DDR 400 Crucial, the other
    > stick (they run in dual mode) is double sided with chips on both sides of
    > the DIMM (again a Crucial DDR 400). They are not the same as one was an
    > upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB some time ago. Would mixing single sided and
    > double sided DIMMS cause this error?
    >
    > The system specs:
    > AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
    > Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > 2x512MB Crucial DIMM (1GB total)
    > Aopen FX5900 128MB Graphics Card with latest Nvida Driver (61.77?)
    > Onboard sound
    > 80GB IBM Deskstart HDD EIDE
    > Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    > reason!)
    > WinXP Pro SP2
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice on how to track this annoying problem. Mys on has
    > given up using his PC because of it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham

    Oh my G**. I am having the *exact some problem with my brothers PC.
    Getting random BSOD's, last one mentioning nv4disp.dll?? I think.
    Also getting "Page_Fault_in_non-paged area" BSODs. Changed pagefile size location and
    drive settings.

    Have rebuilt his PC and have been fighting this POS for weeks trying initially to even get
    a clean Windows install. Replaced PSU to get Windows to install.
    Now is BSODing frequently and have swapped tested and replaced almost everything at
    different times.

    System is Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    AMD1700+ changed to AMD2400+
    New Maxtor SATA 80G HDD, old 15G IDE Maxtor for file storage.
    Replaced Thermaltake 360W PSU with old one for testing
    Uses No-name-ish 256Mb PC2700 RAM. Memtested for hours without errors
    Geforce3 Ti-200 64meg video card
    Running Win2K SP4

    I hear your pain and sympathize. Let's nail this issue as I am sick or trying to rebuild
    his PC. :-\
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    The Old Man wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe based system (my sons computer) and have been
    > receiving intermittent blue screens of death (I also here the hard drive
    > power down) when playing games. Sometimes the error mentions nvdisplay but
    > usually it doesn't but varies which random numbers. Sorry to be vague. It
    > sometimes happens shortly after Windows has loaded and before I get chance
    > to start a game or application.
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > I have switched my graphics card and the fault remains.
    > I have ran Memory test for hours and it found no faults.
    > I have run 3DMark2003 for successive tests without it happening.
    > I have reinstalled my graphics card drivers and installed Windows XP Pro
    > Service Pack 2.
    > I have replaced the Power Supply.
    >
    > The temperatures seem fine and the case is well ventilated 18C to 25C
    > motherboard temp, CPU runs about 38C-45C according to Asus monitoring
    > software. The system was fine for months and not used much as my son is
    > seldom here.
    >
    > Its driving me nuts as all intermittent faults do. I looked at the memory
    > and noticed although one stick is single sided DDR 400 Crucial, the other
    > stick (they run in dual mode) is double sided with chips on both sides of
    > the DIMM (again a Crucial DDR 400). They are not the same as one was an
    > upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB some time ago. Would mixing single sided and
    > double sided DIMMS cause this error?
    >
    > The system specs:
    > AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.

    Do you overclock this processor ? I suppose you do, as I don't see any
    reason to buy a more expansive mobile processor for a desktop. What if
    you run it at stock speed ?

    > Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > 2x512MB Crucial DIMM (1GB total)
    > Aopen FX5900 128MB Graphics Card with latest Nvida Driver (61.77?)
    > Onboard sound
    > 80GB IBM Deskstart HDD EIDE
    > Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    > reason!)

    Well, if it does that even if you install it on another computer, the
    DVD reading parts are dead...

    > WinXP Pro SP2
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice on how to track this annoying problem. Mys on has
    > given up using his PC because of it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53194

    here is some more info

    "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53194
    >
    > here is some more info

    Hi all, thanks for the replies.

    Dino,
    I have tried Memtest86 and ran it for several hours with no problems. I can
    run 3DMark without problems too.
    I also read the thread you linked to and am wondering if it might be the
    Nforce drivers. On the site they say it might be the Nvida sound driver.
    (3DMark might be working becasue there is no sound.)
    I just checked and I'm using Nvidia Driver v4.27 with the audio drivers too.
    I just checked and a new version is out, v5.10 which I'm downloading now.

    When I look at the remove options under Nvida Driver in the Control Panel,
    there are a few other possibilities:
    NVIDIA IDE Driver - it does actually warn about this when installing come to
    think about it.
    NVIDIA Memory Control Driver
    NVIDIA nforce PCI System Management Driver

    Chong Woo:
    Re: > The system specs:
    > AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
    >Do you overclock this processor ? I suppose you do, as I don't see any
    >reason to buy a more expansive mobile processor for a desktop. What if
    >you run it at stock speed ?

    Hi,
    I originally ran this Mobile CPU as it was guranteed overclockable out of
    the box with standard heatsink and fan and to be fair its been fine at
    2300Mhz from www.overclockers.co.uk . I have dropped it to normal though and
    the problem persists.

    > Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    > reason!)

    >Well, if it does that even if you install it on another computer, the
    >DVD reading parts are dead...

    Yes its def dead but not bothered about that at the moment, something I can
    replace at a later time.

    Paul,
    Thanks for the extremely detailed advice. I will try with one stick at a
    time to see what happens. Perhaps one stick is bad although Memtest86 has
    found nothing wrong.

    On the subject of the CPU, its currently running at 200x11.5=2300Mhz at
    1.70v
    I'm using Asus BIOS v1010.

    Jethro,
    I'm sorry to hear of your problems too. Your errors are duplicates of mine,
    completely at random times but usually after starting a game or doing a
    windows task. Perhaps we can nail this!

    Regards,
    Graham.

    Regards,
    Graham.

    In article <4164165d$0$15108$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "The Old
    Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote:

    > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53194
    > >
    > > here is some more info
    > >

    > Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    >
    > Dino,
    > I have tried Memtest86 and ran it for several hours with no problems. I can
    > run 3DMark without problems too.
    > I also read the thread you linked to and am wondering if it might be the
    > Nforce drivers. On the site they say it might be the Nvida sound driver.
    > (3DMark might be working becasue there is no sound.)
    > I just checked and I'm using Nvidia Driver v4.27 with the audio drivers too.
    > I just checked and a new version is out, v5.10 which I'm downloading now.
    >
    > When I look at the remove options under Nvida Driver in the Control Panel,
    > there are a few other possibilities:
    > NVIDIA IDE Driver - it does actually warn about this when installing come to
    > think about it.
    > NVIDIA Memory Control Driver
    > NVIDIA nforce PCI System Management Driver
    >
    > Chong Woo:
    > Re: > The system specs:
    > > AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
    > >Do you overclock this processor ? I suppose you do, as I don't see any
    > >reason to buy a more expansive mobile processor for a desktop. What if
    > >you run it at stock speed ?
    >
    > Hi,
    > I originally ran this Mobile CPU as it was guranteed overclockable out of
    > the box with standard heatsink and fan and to be fair its been fine at
    > 2300Mhz from www.overclockers.co.uk . I have dropped it to normal though and
    > the problem persists.
    >
    > > Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    > > reason!)
    >
    > >Well, if it does that even if you install it on another computer, the
    > >DVD reading parts are dead...
    >
    > Yes its def dead but not bothered about that at the moment, something I can
    > replace at a later time.
    >
    > Paul,
    > Thanks for the extremely detailed advice. I will try with one stick at a
    > time to see what happens. Perhaps one stick is bad although Memtest86 has
    > found nothing wrong.
    >
    > On the subject of the CPU, its currently running at 200x11.5=2300Mhz at
    > 1.70v
    > I'm using Asus BIOS v1010.
    >
    > Jethro,
    > I'm sorry to hear of your problems too. Your errors are duplicates of mine,
    > completely at random times but usually after starting a game or doing a
    > windows task. Perhaps we can nail this!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    An update on my testing.

    I am back to 12x180MHz in dual channel mode. I seemed to be
    able to pass memtest86, but was still having trouble with
    prime95. What I discovered by running Knoppix (read-only
    Linux) is that, if I run three copies of "mprime" executable,
    with the memory allocation limited to 32MB, the same instance
    of mprime fails each time (the first one launched). That
    implies a particular part of the ram has a reproducible
    fault. It doesn't imply the ram is bad, as I can pass memtest.
    (For the record, my Knoppix boot command is "knoppix26
    screen=1280x1024 noapic". Running the 2.6 kernel fixed all
    the memory management problems I was seeing, allowing me to
    surf and test at the same time without a problem.)

    I was using the nominal timing for my ram, some cheap Azenram
    with LEI chips on it, rated by SPD for 3-3-3-8. Last night
    I discovered if I modified the timing to 3-4-4-11, that I am
    Prime clean. I ram three copies of Prime95 overnight and no
    errors were found. I suggest you set the memory timing up
    manually and relax the numbers a bit. (I was a bit worried
    that perhaps the BIOS wouldn't like those settings, but it
    POSTed fine after the change to 3-4-4-11.) I can run the
    nominal timing in single channel mode, but again, the bandwidth
    as reported by memtest86 is significantly reduced.

    It seems some people, even using fast 2-2-2 ram, have to
    back off at least one of the parameter to get stability.
    One guy ended up at CAS2.5 (2.5-2-2) with his fast ram.

    I've also been reading about CPC. It turns out that CPC
    stands for "command per clock", and is none other than the
    1T versus 2T command rate option seen on some other motherboard
    families. It seems nforce2 BIOSes hide this option, and it
    is possible that some of the overclocking BIOS that have
    existed, were running 2T, with a big penalty on memory bandwidth.
    "CPC off" BIOS means 2T command rate timing. "CPC on" BIOS
    means 1T command rate timing. Basically, 2T timing is supposed
    to be used on a Northbridge, whenever the designers think a
    particular RAM configuration will load the address bus to such
    an extent that the address bus has to be set up for a cycle,
    before a second cycle delivers the strobe, to clock the address
    into the memory chips. On some Intel boards, this seems to be
    necessary when two double sided DIMMs are sitting on a channel.
    It is hard to tell what rules are being used with the Nforce2
    chipsets, but the basic premise is that if a BIOS uses 2T
    command rate timing, a larger overclock results, but the
    lower memory bandwidth that results, defeats the whole purpose
    of the higher FSB.

    Anyway, executive summary is, try slower timing, like my
    transition from 3-3-3-8 nominal to 3-4-4-11 manual (the CAS
    stays at 3). Report back what you find, using stability testing
    like prime95 "torture test" from mersenne.org. They have a
    Windows version you can run if you want.

    Paul

    "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message

    > "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53194
    >>
    >> here is some more info
    >>

    > Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    >
    > Dino,
    > I have tried Memtest86 and ran it for several hours with no problems. I
    > can run 3DMark without problems too.
    > I also read the thread you linked to and am wondering if it might be the
    > Nforce drivers. On the site they say it might be the Nvida sound driver.
    > (3DMark might be working becasue there is no sound.)
    > I just checked and I'm using Nvidia Driver v4.27 with the audio drivers
    > too.
    > I just checked and a new version is out, v5.10 which I'm downloading now.
    >
    > When I look at the remove options under Nvida Driver in the Control Panel,
    > there are a few other possibilities:
    > NVIDIA IDE Driver - it does actually warn about this when installing come
    > to think about it.
    > NVIDIA Memory Control Driver
    > NVIDIA nforce PCI System Management Driver
    >
    > Chong Woo:
    > Re: > The system specs:
    >> AMD XP2500 Barton Mobile version.
    >>Do you overclock this processor ? I suppose you do, as I don't see any
    >>reason to buy a more expansive mobile processor for a desktop. What if
    >>you run it at stock speed ?
    >
    > Hi,
    > I originally ran this Mobile CPU as it was guranteed overclockable out of
    > the box with standard heatsink and fan and to be fair its been fine at
    > 2300Mhz from www.overclockers.co.uk . I have dropped it to normal though
    > and the problem persists.
    >
    >> Pioneer DVD-Rom (which now doesn't recognise DVD's only CD's for some
    >> reason!)
    >
    >>Well, if it does that even if you install it on another computer, the
    >>DVD reading parts are dead...
    >
    > Yes its def dead but not bothered about that at the moment, something I
    > can replace at a later time.
    >
    > Paul,
    > Thanks for the extremely detailed advice. I will try with one stick at a
    > time to see what happens. Perhaps one stick is bad although Memtest86 has
    > found nothing wrong.
    >
    > On the subject of the CPU, its currently running at 200x11.5=2300Mhz at
    > 1.70v
    > I'm using Asus BIOS v1010.
    >
    > Jethro,
    > I'm sorry to hear of your problems too. Your errors are duplicates of
    > mine, completely at random times but usually after starting a game or
    > doing a windows task. Perhaps we can nail this!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham.

    Further to my last post, I've upgraded the nForce drivers to v5.10 and so
    far touch wood it hasn't crashed.

    Graham.

    The Old Man wrote:

    <snip>

    > Further to my last post, I've upgraded the nForce drivers to v5.10 and so
    > far touch wood it hasn't crashed.
    >
    > Graham.

    Good to hear, Graham.
    I'm downloading the newest 5.10's also. The previous drivers I was using were from the
    Asus site. There were fairly old as i forgot to go to the source (nVidia) and get the
    latest drivers.
    *crossing fingers*

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    glad to hear..I have stopped using the onboard sound due to my Z5300's not
    being SPDIF speakers...but yes I have read issues of the SW IDE drivers I
    believe they are called. All my crashes are my own making (OC'ing too
    high..wrong timings ect.)...but I know when I format next am going to leave
    the SW alone.
    A7N8X-Deluxe rev2.0 Uber BIOS 1007
    Barton 2500 Unlocked @ 11x200
    OCZ PC3200EL 3x256 (2-3-3-6)
    etc...etc...

    keep us posted..am curious

    > glad to hear..I have stopped using the onboard sound due to my Z5300's not
    > being SPDIF speakers...but yes I have read issues of the SW IDE drivers I
    > believe they are called. All my crashes are my own making (OC'ing too
    > high..wrong timings ect.)...but I know when I format next am going to
    > leave
    > the SW alone.
    > A7N8X-Deluxe rev2.0 Uber BIOS 1007
    > Barton 2500 Unlocked @ 11x200
    > OCZ PC3200EL 3x256 (2-3-3-6)
    > etc...etc...
    >
    > keep us posted..am curious

    Thanks guys much appreciated.
    I'll test the system out a bit more on Friday night when my son comes over
    to use it.
    If it re-occurs I'll look at removing the ide driver and also the ram
    timings. Crucial RAM is selected specifically for the name of the board that
    you select from their list so it is matched. However one of these sticks was
    an old one from a different board, A7V333 which is why one is single sided
    and the other double sided.

    for the older video cards run the Nvidia 45.23 I run my G4Ti4200 on them on
    an A7N8X-X...the newer ones aren't really meant for them...might be one of
    the issues

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

    dino wrote:

    > for the older video cards run the Nvidia 45.23 I run my G4Ti4200 on them on
    > an A7N8X-X...the newer ones aren't really meant for them...might be one of
    > the issues
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

    Ran those exact drivers as they are called the "best" for that generation of card. Still
    getting serious number of BSOD's.

    --

    "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote in message
    > I have 2 HDD's installed. The new SATA as main C drive with Win2K install
    > and a older 15G
    > IDE for file storage.
    >
    > --
    > Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
    > Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

    Ah, right. Hope you get it sorted soon!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I do not know what to say ...obviously we are missing something here...you
    are both running certified RAM for these boards?...I am runnig a config they
    say shouldn't work and it does...3x256 most say not too.
    A7N8X-deluxe rev 2.0 UBER BIOS 1007
    AMD BARTON 2500@200x11(V-core1.70)
    OCZ PC3200EL 3x256 (2.7 v)
    Audigy2ZS
    ATI9600XT
    Lite-on DVDRW
    LG52X
    SATA120 Max as Prim
    Max 30 as B/U
    Enermax 465FM
    Tt Volcano11(CPU Idle 33 degrees)
    am still playing and my kids system is built on an A7N8X-X..it is OC'd too

    see if APIC is enabled in BIOS..if it is try disabling...play with some of
    the settings...APIC controls the advanced IRQ table.I can not install XP on
    this board if it is enabled..disabled it gives an IRQ table only to 15
    instead of 23..is a random issue for the boards
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    >I do not know what to say ...obviously we are missing something here...you
    > are both running certified RAM for these boards?...I am runnig a config
    > they
    > say shouldn't work and it does...3x256 most say not too.
    > A7N8X-deluxe rev 2.0 UBER BIOS 1007
    > AMD BARTON 2500@200x11(V-core1.70)
    > OCZ PC3200EL 3x256 (2.7 v)
    > Audigy2ZS
    > ATI9600XT
    > Lite-on DVDRW
    > LG52X
    > SATA120 Max as Prim
    > Max 30 as B/U
    > Enermax 465FM
    > Tt Volcano11(CPU Idle 33 degrees)
    > am still playing and my kids system is built on an A7N8X-X..it is OC'd too
    >
    > see if APIC is enabled in BIOS..if it is try disabling...play with some of
    > the settings...APIC controls the advanced IRQ table.I can not install XP
    > on
    > this board if it is enabled..disabled it gives an IRQ table only to 15
    > instead of 23..is a random issue for the boards

    Well at the moment I need to do some further testing but haven't had time -
    I was hoping my son would be here to test it out by playing games on it for
    hours on end! However last time I tried it seemed okay. On the RAM question,
    one stick was specified by Crucial via their Memory Selector, the other was
    from an older board A7V333 but still a DDR400 stick, same memory timings but
    double sided (chips on both sides). The use of the updated Nvidia drivers
    seems to have cured it for now but as I say it needs proper testing.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    that other stick could be part of the issue..the double sided one..I believe
    they are read different..it might have no errors but could still be causing
    the problems.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > that other stick could be part of the issue..the double sided one..I
    > believe
    > they are read different..it might have no errors but could still be
    > causing
    > the problems.

    Yes I wondered about that too. I had the PC for 6 hours today and it seemed
    fine with the latest Nvida Drivers.

Asus Motherboards