B&W printing on Epson 2100/2200 - Magenta Tones

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 2, 2004 2:18:52 AM

My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 2:32:13 AM

Have you downloaded the newer profiles from Epson?

"Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com> wrote in message
> My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
> overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 6:00:41 AM

On Sat, 1 May 2004 22:18:52 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
wrote:

>My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
>overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2

What colour management are you using?

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

> >My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
> >overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2
> >

> What colour management are you using?
>
> --

My images use sRGB as does PSCS. The printer settings are set to AUTOMATIC
and the paper type is SEMI-GLOSS.

I couldn't find the NEW profiles on Epson's website. Does someone know the
link ?
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 6:04:54 AM

On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:23:35 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
wrote:

>> >My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
>> >overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2
>> >

>> What colour management are you using?
>>
>> --
>
>My images use sRGB as does PSCS. The printer settings are set to AUTOMATIC
>and the paper type is SEMI-GLOSS.
>
>I couldn't find the NEW profiles on Epson's website. Does someone know the
>link ?

Uh-huh. But how are you managing it - are you using PS management or
are you letting the printer manage the output?

Incidentally, sRGB isn't the best profile fro printing. You'd be
better off using AdobeRGB - it has a wider gamut and doesn't cause as
many problems with clipping when outputting to print.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/EditorialAnnouncemen...

Profiles for the 2200

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> >> What colour management are you using?
> >>
> >> --
> >
> >My images use sRGB as does PSCS. The printer settings are set to
AUTOMATIC
> >and the paper type is SEMI-GLOSS.
> >
> >I couldn't find the NEW profiles on Epson's website. Does someone know
the
> >link ?
> >
> Uh-huh. But how are you managing it - are you using PS management or
> are you letting the printer manage the output?
>
> Incidentally, sRGB isn't the best profile fro printing. You'd be
> better off using AdobeRGB - it has a wider gamut and doesn't cause as
> many problems with clipping when outputting to print.
>
> --
>
> Hecate
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 8:59:05 PM

> Uh-huh. But how are you managing it - are you using PS management or
> are you letting the printer manage the output?
>
> Incidentally, sRGB isn't the best profile fro printing. You'd be
> better off using AdobeRGB - it has a wider gamut and doesn't cause as
> many problems with clipping when outputting to print.

I am using SAME AS SOURCE for colour managemnt in the PS print preview.
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 4:52:53 AM

On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:59:05 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
wrote:

>> Uh-huh. But how are you managing it - are you using PS management or
>> are you letting the printer manage the output?
>>
>> Incidentally, sRGB isn't the best profile fro printing. You'd be
>> better off using AdobeRGB - it has a wider gamut and doesn't cause as
>> many problems with clipping when outputting to print.
>>

>I am using SAME AS SOURCE for colour managemnt in the PS print preview.

But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
no-no.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

Can you explain more detail about this? I have PS8 CS where do I check
to see what is managing the output?

Hecate wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:59:05 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>Uh-huh. But how are you managing it - are you using PS management or
>>>are you letting the printer manage the output?
>>>
>>>Incidentally, sRGB isn't the best profile fro printing. You'd be
>>>better off using AdobeRGB - it has a wider gamut and doesn't cause as
>>>many problems with clipping when outputting to print.
>>>

>>I am using SAME AS SOURCE for colour managemnt in the PS print preview.
>>

> But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
> you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
> no-no.
>
> --
>
> Hecate
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui
Anonymous
May 4, 2004 11:41:57 PM

> But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
> you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
> no-no.

So in Printer properties should I choose custom mode, advnaced, no colour
management ? Won't this effect how much ink is depositied for each paper
type ?
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 5:42:12 AM

On Tue, 04 May 2004 00:57:09 GMT, devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote:

>Can you explain more detail about this? I have PS8 CS where do I check
>to see what is managing the output?

Regardless of which colour profile you use for an image, printing is a
separate process. There are two ways of handling it - either by
allowing the printer to colour manage, or by allowing PS to colour
manage.

If you go to Print with Preview and then check the show more options
box, you'll see that there is a box which says output. You can change
that by clicking the arrow to the side and selecting colour
management. You can then use PS's colour management and turn off
colour management in the printer dialog. This gives you far greater
control of the output.

What will happen then, is that Photoshop will send the image to the
printer and all the printer will do is convert to CMYK and print,
instead of adjusting the image first.

Really you need to read about colour management. There are lots of
useful web sites, but I'd recommend you buy, borrow, or loan from a
library, a copy of Martin Evening's Adobe Photoshop for Photographers.

However, whilst it's a an excellent book I'm sure you'd like a cheaper
way of learning. Well, Martin has provided, as a sample chapter, the
whole chapter on Colour Management from his book, which you can
download. You'll find it at:

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs/colormana...

Have fun :)

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:41:57 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
wrote:

>> But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
>> you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
>> no-no.
>>

>So in Printer properties should I choose custom mode, advnaced, no colour
>management ? Won't this effect how much ink is depositied for each paper
>type ?

Yes. You should use the Print with Preview dialog in Photoshop, check
Show More Options, and select Colour Management ion the drop down box.

Then you should select no colour management in your printer software.

The printer will then just do a straight conversion from RGB (whatever
profile type you're using) to CMYK and print.

I've just advised another poster to read the Martin Evening book,
Adobe Photoshop for Photographers which is great on almost everything
and gives a good description of how to, and how not to, colour manage.
As I was checking I found that Martin had provided a sample chapter on
how from his new CS version book. It happens to be the one on Colour
Management. You can get as a pdf download at:

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs/colormana...

If I were you I'd download it, print it out and read it. Colour
management isn't easy, but nothing worth doing ever is and it will
stop you being surprised at the colour of your output. :)

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

You should run the gray balancer, it will allow you to manually set up
neutral grays. If you have a 2200 you will have to locate the software. It
used to be on www.epson.ru in English, but I no longer have the direct link
and can't read cyrillic. It also was on the French site but in French of
course. The original GB included with the 2100 includes a chip chart of
grays. The Kodak chart can be substituted, or you can't just set it up by
eye.

Toby
"Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com> wrote in message
> My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
> overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2

May 8, 2004 7:45:10 AM

Here is a link that will take you to the gray balancer software in English:

http://www.fors.net/2200/

Toby
"Toby" <zdftokyo@ggol.com> wrote in message
> You should run the gray balancer, it will allow you to manually set up
> neutral grays. If you have a 2200 you will have to locate the software. It
> used to be on www.epson.ru in English, but I no longer have the direct
link
> and can't read cyrillic. It also was on the French site but in French of
> course. The original GB included with the 2100 includes a chip chart of
> grays. The Kodak chart can be substituted, or you can't just set it up by
> eye.
>
> Toby
> "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com> wrote in message
> > My B&W prints seem to have a magenta cast to them. Anyone know how to
> > overcome this ? Am printing from PSCS/PSP8/Photoquicker 3.2

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 10:32:35 PM

For a gross compensation, don't use color management in Photoshop and just
adjust with the color sliders in the advanced section of the Epson print
driver dialog box. If you adjust the gree and or cyan slider you can do some
compensation. BUT by all means read about color management, solves many
problems.

Tom

In article <1083696049.5353.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>, noway@noway.com
says...

>> But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
>> you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
>> no-no.
>>

>So in Printer properties should I choose custom mode, advnaced, no colour
>management ? Won't this effect how much ink is depositied for each paper
>type ?

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 8:01:35 PM

Hecate wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:41:57 +0100, "Coolasblu" <noway@noway.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>But are you using the printer colour management as well? Because if
>>>you are, then you're using two colour managements and that's a big
>>>no-no.
>>>

>>So in Printer properties should I choose custom mode, advnaced, no colour
>>management ? Won't this effect how much ink is depositied for each paper
>>type ?
>>

> Yes. You should use the Print with Preview dialog in Photoshop, check
> Show More Options, and select Colour Management ion the drop down box.
>
> Then you should select no colour management in your printer software.
>
> The printer will then just do a straight conversion from RGB (whatever
> profile type you're using) to CMYK and print.
>
> I've just advised another poster to read the Martin Evening book,
> Adobe Photoshop for Photographers which is great on almost everything
> and gives a good description of how to, and how not to, colour manage.
> As I was checking I found that Martin had provided a sample chapter on
> how from his new CS version book. It happens to be the one on Colour
> Management. You can get as a pdf download at:
>
> http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs/colormana...
>
> If I were you I'd download it, print it out and read it. Colour
> management isn't easy, but nothing worth doing ever is and it will
> stop you being surprised at the colour of your output. :)
>
> --
>
> Hecate
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

In the print preview under the Color Management by default it is checked
Source Space > Document and under Print Space the profile has "same as
source". Just what is the source?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:45:01 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:01:35 -0500, "ddevans@warpdriveonline.com"
<ddevans@warpdriveonline.com> wrote:

>> If I were you I'd download it, print it out and read it. Colour
>> management isn't easy, but nothing worth doing ever is and it will
>> stop you being surprised at the colour of your output. :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hecate
>> Hecate@newsguy.com
>> veni, vidi, reliqui
>

>In the print preview under the Color Management by default it is checked
>Source Space > Document and under Print Space the profile has "same as
>source". Just what is the source?

The source is the profile attached to the image. If you click the
drop down you'll see the different profiles that can be attached to an
image.

So, what it is saying is that if you have the image profiled as an
Adobe RGB then Same as Source would use that profile. You can,
however, change the profile here.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com