No CD/R/RW or DVD ROM drives recognised.

June 25, 2004 3:01:33 PM

Hi,

I have a Gateway pc which had W98 SE installed and I updated it to Windows
XP Home. I was recently updating it with the current fixes and security
patches from Microsoft and when I rebooted I realised that my CD R/Rw and
DVD ROM drives are no longer appearing under My Computer. When I insert a cd
it doesn't run. When I look under Device manager I have two big exclamation
marks on IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 and TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402. I have tried to
update drivers, uninstall and reinstall drivers, everything that I can think
of and nothing is working.

Under device status there is a message "Windows cannot load the device
driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Any suggestions please!!

PK
June 25, 2004 3:01:34 PM

Good morning Pat,
I have had a similar problem. I had
windows me and installed windows xp. When I installed
windows xp I could no longer play DVDs. I haven't checked
if I can play CDs. I thought about installing my windows
me restore disk to see if I can install the dvd drive
only. If this works I will let you know. I have been
looking for help and have not found any help. I will
make sure to pass any help along if I get it.

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 3:01:34 PM

Pat K wrote:
> I have a Gateway pc which had W98 SE installed and I updated it to
> Windows XP Home. I was recently updating it with the current fixes
> and security patches from Microsoft and when I rebooted I realised
> that my CD R/Rw and DVD ROM drives are no longer appearing under My
> Computer. When I insert a cd it doesn't run. When I look under Device
> manager I have two big exclamation marks on IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 and
> TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402. I have tried to update drivers, uninstall
> and reinstall drivers, everything that I can think of and nothing is
> working.
>
> Under device status there is a message "Windows cannot load the device
> driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.
> (Code 39)"

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
June 25, 2004 3:01:35 PM

Blessed wrote:
> Good morning Pat,
> I have had a similar problem. I had
> windows me and installed windows xp. When I installed
> windows xp I could no longer play DVDs. I haven't checked
> if I can play CDs. I thought about installing my windows
> me restore disk to see if I can install the dvd drive
> only. If this works I will let you know. I have been
> looking for help and have not found any help. I will
> make sure to pass any help along if I get it.

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
June 25, 2004 7:05:42 PM

Many thanks for the reply. I would be interested if you do have any luck.
This is bloody annoying. It makes you wish you had't touched it in the first
place!!

I have misplaced my XP CD as well so I am not sure If I can reinstall
drivers etc. I have searched the internet for compatable CD / DVD drivers
but am having no luck.

Kind regards,

Pat.

"Blessed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Good morning Pat,
I have had a similar problem. I had
windows me and installed windows xp. When I installed
windows xp I could no longer play DVDs. I haven't checked
if I can play CDs. I thought about installing my windows
me restore disk to see if I can install the dvd drive
only. If this works I will let you know. I have been
looking for help and have not found any help. I will
make sure to pass any help along if I get it.

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:23:19 PM

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Pat K" <kiernanpj@eircom.net> wrote in message
news:o S1wltpWEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gateway pc which had W98 SE installed and I updated it to Windows
> XP Home. I was recently updating it with the current fixes and security
> patches from Microsoft and when I rebooted I realised that my CD R/Rw and
> DVD ROM drives are no longer appearing under My Computer. When I insert a
cd
> it doesn't run. When I look under Device manager I have two big
exclamation
> marks on IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 and TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402. I have tried to
> update drivers, uninstall and reinstall drivers, everything that I can
think
> of and nothing is working.
>
> Under device status there is a message "Windows cannot load the device
> driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code
39)"

> Any suggestions please!!
>
> PK

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:21:04 PM

Tried that registry hack. Seems to have worked ok. Many thanks for the help.

Pat K.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
Blessed wrote:
> Good morning Pat,
> I have had a similar problem. I had
> windows me and installed windows xp. When I installed
> windows xp I could no longer play DVDs. I haven't checked
> if I can play CDs. I thought about installing my windows
> me restore disk to see if I can install the dvd drive
> only. If this works I will let you know. I have been
> looking for help and have not found any help. I will
> make sure to pass any help along if I get it.

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->
June 25, 2004 9:23:46 PM

and a music CD can be played via the buttons on the
actual drive, but can be opened on the PC. A CD-ROM can
only be used if it's loaded into the drive and the PC
restarted.

!