keep losing COM1

June 25, 2004 1:10:19 PM

P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.

I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The software
detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers for
it.

All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling error
to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from device
manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a little
while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby or
hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled. Does
anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Buster

More about : losing com1

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:45:05 PM

"Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
>
> I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
> plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The software
> detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers
for
> it.
>
> All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling
error
> to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
> help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
device
> manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a
little
> while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby or
> hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled.
Does
> anybody have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Buster

XP has a habit of making the assumption that data coming a serial port is a
pointing device and promptly takes over the port.

After XP takes over go into device manager and see if there is a serial
pointing device listed, if so disable it, don't delete it or XP will again
rediscover it and you're back to where you started.

There is also a way to add a line to the boot.ini file, but I've used the
above method several time and haven't had a problem.

If you want to try the boot.ini option, google for:

noserialmice

HTH
Chris
June 25, 2004 3:37:51 PM

Interesting. I'll give that a whirl!

Thanks!
Buster

"Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message

> "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
> >
> > I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
> > plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The
software
> > detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers
> for
> > it.
> >
> > All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling
> error
> > to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
> > help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
> device
> > manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a
> little
> > while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby
or
> > hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled.
> Does
> > anybody have any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Buster
> >

> XP has a habit of making the assumption that data coming a serial port is
> pointing device and promptly takes over the port.
>
> After XP takes over go into device manager and see if there is a serial
> pointing device listed, if so disable it, don't delete it or XP will again
> rediscover it and you're back to where you started.
>
> There is also a way to add a line to the boot.ini file, but I've used the
> above method several time and haven't had a problem.
>
> If you want to try the boot.ini option, google for:
>
> noserialmice
>
> HTH
> Chris

Related resources
June 25, 2004 10:36:01 PM

"Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
>
> I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that
this
> plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The
software
> detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate
drivers for
> it.
>
> All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a
spooling error
> to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software
doesn't
> help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
device
> manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for
a little
> while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into
standby or
> hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are
enabled. Does
> anybody have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Buster

Serial ports are legacy. When they are powered down a reboot is
necessary. Check for power saving features for COM ports.
There should be a manual for the plotter from the mfg. web site.
June 28, 2004 2:51:02 PM

Where would I find power saving settings for the com port?

Thanks Frank!
Buster

!