keep losing COM1

P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.

I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The software
detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers for
it.

All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling error
to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from device
manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a little
while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby or
hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled. Does
anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Buster
4 answers Last reply
More about keep losing com1

    "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
    >
    > I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
    > plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The software
    > detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers
    for
    > it.
    >
    > All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling
    error
    > to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
    > help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
    device
    > manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a
    little
    > while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby or
    > hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled.
    Does
    > anybody have any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Buster

    XP has a habit of making the assumption that data coming a serial port is a
    pointing device and promptly takes over the port.

    After XP takes over go into device manager and see if there is a serial
    pointing device listed, if so disable it, don't delete it or XP will again
    rediscover it and you're back to where you started.

    There is also a way to add a line to the boot.ini file, but I've used the
    above method several time and haven't had a problem.

    If you want to try the boot.ini option, google for:

    noserialmice

    HTH
    Chris

    Interesting. I'll give that a whirl!

    Thanks!
    Buster

    "Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote in message

    > "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
    > >
    > > I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that this
    > > plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The
    software
    > > detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate drivers
    > for
    > > it.
    > >
    > > All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a spooling
    > error
    > > to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software doesn't
    > > help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
    > device
    > > manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for a
    > little
    > > while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into standby
    or
    > > hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are enabled.
    > Does
    > > anybody have any other ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Buster
    > >

    > XP has a habit of making the assumption that data coming a serial port is
    > pointing device and promptly takes over the port.
    >
    > After XP takes over go into device manager and see if there is a serial
    > pointing device listed, if so disable it, don't delete it or XP will again
    > rediscover it and you're back to where you started.
    >
    > There is also a way to add a line to the boot.ini file, but I've used the
    > above method several time and haven't had a problem.
    >
    > If you want to try the boot.ini option, google for:
    >
    > noserialmice
    >
    > HTH
    > Chris

    "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
    >
    > I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that
    this
    > plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The
    software
    > detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate
    drivers for
    > it.
    >
    > All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a
    spooling error
    > to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software
    doesn't
    > help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
    device
    > manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for
    a little
    > while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into
    standby or
    > hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are
    enabled. Does
    > anybody have any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Buster

    Serial ports are legacy. When they are powered down a reboot is
    necessary. Check for power saving features for COM ports.
    There should be a manual for the plotter from the mfg. web site.

    Where would I find power saving settings for the com port?

    Thanks Frank!
    Buster

    "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

    > "Blankman" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > P4 2.4 with 512 mb ram, WinXP Pro machine.
    > >
    > > I have a sign plotting machine connected to com1. Let me add that
    > this
    > > plotter is not installed as a printer in add/remove printers. The
    > software
    > > detects the plotter upon being opened and loads the appropriate
    > drivers for
    > > it.
    > >
    > > All the sudden, when I try to print to my plotter, it gives a
    > spooling error
    > > to com1. Rebooting doesn't help, re-installing the sign software
    > doesn't
    > > help. The only thing that will fix it is to remove the com port from
    > device
    > > manager, reboot so that it re-installs com1. Then it works fine for
    > a little
    > > while. I thought maybe it was dieing after the system went into
    > standby or
    > > hibernated so I confirmed that neither of those functions are
    > enabled. Does
    > > anybody have any other ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Buster
    >
    > Serial ports are legacy. When they are powered down a reboot is
    > necessary. Check for power saving features for COM ports.
    > There should be a manual for the plotter from the mfg. web site.

Plotter Windows XP