Safely Remove Hardware stops the hub, not just one selecte..

My Sony Vaio Desktop has a USB Mass Storage Device which controls the three slots for Memory Stick, Compact Flash and Smart Media cards designated drives G:, H: and I:. Previously if I wanted to stop drive I: and remove the card I could do this without affecting the drive G: and H:. Now I am finding that selecting the storage device Drive I: and stopping it from the icon in the system tray, stops the hub that controls all three devices and removes (closes) the icon. This necessitates a re-boot to restore the icon and the ability to stop any device attached to the internal USB and also the external USB sockets. Stopping a device on any of these external sockets from the icon does not cause this and only stops the device selected. Please has anybody a solution?

weezecat wrote:
> My Sony Vaio Desktop has a USB Mass Storage Device which controls the
> three slots for Memory Stick, Compact Flash and Smart Media cards
> designated drives G:, H: and I:. Previously if I wanted to stop
> drive I: and remove the card I could do this without affecting the
> drive G: and H:. Now I am finding that selecting the storage device
> Drive I: and stopping it from the icon in the system tray, stops the
> hub that controls all three devices and removes (closes) the icon.
> This necessitates a re-boot to restore the icon and the ability to
> stop any device attached to the internal USB and also the external
> USB sockets. Stopping a device on any of these external sockets from
> the icon does not cause this and only stops the device selected.
> Please has anybody a solution?

Don't stop the drive. It should not be at all necessary. Of course, if
you are editing files *on* the drives, that is a different story. IMO,
opening files directly from removeable drives is bad practice and can
lead to corruption on the drive - much like editing files on a floppy
disk directly.