Can't access wireless LAN

I have a linksys wireless router connected to a desktop and I am try to
connect another deesktop & a laptop to it. The other desktop connects fine,
but althouigh the laptop connects to the Internet it does not connect to the
LAN and allow printer/file sharing.

I can ping the desktop from the laptop connected to the router but I can't
ping the laptop from the desktop..

Any ideas?
--
Neil B.
6 answers Last reply

    www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a linksys wireless router connected to a desktop and I am try to
    > connect another deesktop & a laptop to it. The other desktop connects
    > fine,
    > but althouigh the laptop connects to the Internet it does not connect to
    > the
    > LAN and allow printer/file sharing.
    >
    > I can ping the desktop from the laptop connected to the router but I can't
    > ping the laptop from the desktop..
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > Neil B.

    should help:

    http://www.ezlan.net/

    mike

    "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a linksys wireless router connected to a desktop and I am try to
    > connect another deesktop & a laptop to it. The other desktop connects
    fine,
    > but althouigh the laptop connects to the Internet it does not connect to
    the
    > LAN and allow printer/file sharing.
    >
    > I can ping the desktop from the laptop connected to the router but I can't
    > ping the laptop from the desktop..
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > Neil B.

    Most of the advice recommends disably any wirewalls etc. My laptop came with
    Norton Internet Securitry & Nortoin Anti-Virus software pre-loadede. Do you
    know how I disable them? If I just click on Norton INternet Security &
    choose "Allow Traffic" I can't access the Internet at all.

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a linksys wireless router connected to a desktop and I am try to
    > > connect another deesktop & a laptop to it. The other desktop connects
    > > fine,
    > > but althouigh the laptop connects to the Internet it does not connect to
    > > the
    > > LAN and allow printer/file sharing.
    > >
    > > I can ping the desktop from the laptop connected to the router but I can't
    > > ping the laptop from the desktop..
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > > --
    > > Neil B.

    I don't see where the advice says to disable the firewalls. It says to
    uninstall them.

    Use Add/Remove Progams in the Control Panel and please read the rest of the
    directions more carefully, as computers are very finicky over exactness.

    > Most of the advice recommends disably any wirewalls etc. My laptop came
    > with
    > Norton Internet Securitry & Nortoin Anti-Virus software pre-loadede. Do
    > you
    > know how I disable them? If I just click on Norton INternet Security &
    > choose "Allow Traffic" I can't access the Internet at all.
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a linksys wireless router connected to a desktop and I am try to
    >> > connect another deesktop & a laptop to it. The other desktop connects
    >> > fine,
    >> > but althouigh the laptop connects to the Internet it does not connect
    >> > the
    >> > LAN and allow printer/file sharing.
    >> >
    >> > I can ping the desktop from the laptop connected to the router but I
    >> > can't
    >> > ping the laptop from the desktop..
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> > --
    >> > Neil B.

    Disabling the Norton Firewall (which came pre-installed) did the trick.

    Thanks for you help.

    Neil

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > I don't see where the advice says to disable the firewalls. It says to
    > uninstall them.
    >
    > Use Add/Remove Progams in the Control Panel and please read the rest of the
    > directions more carefully, as computers are very finicky over exactness.
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Most of the advice recommends disably any wirewalls etc. My laptop came
    > > with
    > > Norton Internet Securitry & Nortoin Anti-Virus software pre-loadede. Do
    > > you
    > > know how I disable them? If I just click on Norton INternet Security &
    > > choose "Allow Traffic" I can't access the Internet at all.
    > >
    > > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    > >>
    > >> Carey
    > >>
    > >> "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    My pleasure. Thanks for letting me know.

    > Disabling the Norton Firewall (which came pre-installed) did the trick.
    >
    > Thanks for you help.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't see where the advice says to disable the firewalls. It says to
    >> uninstall them.
    >>
    >> Use Add/Remove Progams in the Control Panel and please read the rest of
    >> the
    >> directions more carefully, as computers are very finicky over exactness.
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "Neil B" <NeilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Most of the advice recommends disably any wirewalls etc. My laptop
    >> > came
    >> > with
    >> > Norton Internet Securitry & Nortoin Anti-Virus software pre-loadede.
    >> > Do
    >> > you
    >> > know how I disable them? If I just click on Norton INternet Security &
    >> > choose "Allow Traffic" I can't access the Internet at all.

Laptops Desktops Wireless Networking