SATA and Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe

Hi to everyone.

I've been reading problems with installing a fresh copy of XP pro onto SATA drives and decided to post here for help.

I just got the above mentioned mobo and will like to know if there is anything I need to know prior to installing xp on it. I have already search the mobo CD and there is nothing sata related on it. Something for lan,audio and mini-ide but not sata. I haven't even fire up the box at all yet. I just had everything installed last night and will hopefully install xp today.

The SATA drive is a 120gb and I was also wondering if it is ok to leave the drive like that or to partition it.
Full specs:
NIkao Xblade box
450 psu
intel p4 2.8c
2x512 DDR400 kingston
ATI 9700 pro
SB Audigy 2 ZS
DVD ROM LG
DVD Burner LG
CD Burner Yamaha -SCSI

Any pointers and guidance will be apreciated.

Thanks

Hi, there should be a driver [floppy] with files on.
Double chk the cd, if u find them put them on a floppy,
during the start of the xp install hit f6 quickly, then
when prompted insert the disc. Dont forget to reupdate
the driver in device manager once xp is installed. If u
cannot find the files, check the asustek website or drop
them an email.

rgds
Paul

The drivers you need may NOT be cared SATA. They might be called "RAID",
since it is common for the SATA controller to also be a RAID controller. On
my ASUS P4S8X they are called drivers for the "Promise" controller.
(Promise is the vendor who made the xontroller for ASUS.)

"samrec" <samrec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi to everyone.
>
> I've been reading problems with installing a fresh copy of XP pro onto
SATA drives and decided to post here for help.

> I just got the above mentioned mobo and will like to know if there is
anything I need to know prior to installing xp on it. I have already search
the mobo CD and there is nothing sata related on it. Something for lan,audio
and mini-ide but not sata. I haven't even fire up the box at all yet. I
just had everything installed last night and will hopefully install xp
today.

> The SATA drive is a 120gb and I was also wondering if it is ok to leave
the drive like that or to partition it.
> Full specs:
> NIkao Xblade box
> 450 psu
> intel p4 2.8c
> 2x512 DDR400 kingston
> ATI 9700 pro
> SB Audigy 2 ZS
> DVD ROM LG
> DVD Burner LG
> CD Burner Yamaha -SCSI
>
> Any pointers and guidance will be apreciated.
>
> Thanks

Carl

Hi
On my intell and on my DFI board i don't have to load any drivers as long as
i am just useing it as Plain SATA drive and not Raid.
Just hook up and install windows like on IDE drive.
Just have to set BIOS to recognize SATA drives.
I set SATA & IDE to the enhanced mode and it reads both, witch you need to
read your CDROM and SATA.
Hope this helps you out.

--
Carl
"samrec" <samrec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi to everyone.
>
> I've been reading problems with installing a fresh copy of XP pro onto
SATA drives and decided to post here for help.

> I just got the above mentioned mobo and will like to know if there is
anything I need to know prior to installing xp on it. I have already search
the mobo CD and there is nothing sata related on it. Something for lan,audio
and mini-ide but not sata. I haven't even fire up the box at all yet. I
just had everything installed last night and will hopefully install xp
today.

> The SATA drive is a 120gb and I was also wondering if it is ok to leave
the drive like that or to partition it.
> Full specs:
> NIkao Xblade box
> 450 psu
> intel p4 2.8c
> 2x512 DDR400 kingston
> ATI 9700 pro
> SB Audigy 2 ZS
> DVD ROM LG
> DVD Burner LG
> CD Burner Yamaha -SCSI
>
> Any pointers and guidance will be apreciated.
>
> Thanks

bar

In order for the SATA dvice to be recognised correctly by any operating system, there must be a proper configuration setting in BIOS.

Most MOBOs will have additional user guide for SATA: first for BASE [or simple] and maybe in the same one or an additional guide for RAID.

You have to make sure that BIOS is set up properly...understand.

Now when you attempt to install Windows XP it will prompt to PRESS F6 to install SCSI....

At this point you should follow the instructions and will be directed to insert a floppy disk with the driver files.

You may have to copy the required driver from an installation CD.

HINT:

When installing and building this PC:

Only install the minimum amount of hardware that is required to get Windows up and running. 1 x CD-ROM, 1 x Hard Drive [your SATA], 1 x FDD, Video Card.

After windows is up and running, load up the extra Optical Drives one at a time, then LAN, etc.

It will help you to diagnose and fix any poblems and also help you to be certain that you are providing or directing indows to install the correct 'new hardware'.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Hi, there should be a driver [floppy] with files on.
> Double chk the cd, if u find them put them on a floppy,
> during the start of the xp install hit f6 quickly, then
> when prompted insert the disc. Dont forget to reupdate
> the driver in device manager once xp is installed. If u
> cannot find the files, check the asustek website or drop
> them an email.
>
> rgds
> Paul

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Good advice.

BAR wrote:

> In order for the SATA dvice to be recognised correctly by any operating system, there must be a proper configuration setting in BIOS.
>
> Most MOBOs will have additional user guide for SATA: first for BASE [or simple] and maybe in the same one or an additional guide for RAID.
>
> You have to make sure that BIOS is set up properly...understand.
>
> Now when you attempt to install Windows XP it will prompt to PRESS F6 to install SCSI....
>
> At this point you should follow the instructions and will be directed to insert a floppy disk with the driver files.
>
> You may have to copy the required driver from an installation CD.
>
> HINT:
>
> When installing and building this PC:
>
> Only install the minimum amount of hardware that is required to get Windows up and running. 1 x CD-ROM, 1 x Hard Drive [your SATA], 1 x FDD, Video Card.
>
> After windows is up and running, load up the extra Optical Drives one at a time, then LAN, etc.
>
> It will help you to diagnose and fix any poblems and also help you to be certain that you are providing or directing indows to install the correct 'new hardware'.
>

> "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
>

>>Hi, there should be a driver [floppy] with files on.
>>Double chk the cd, if u find them put them on a floppy,
>>during the start of the xp install hit f6 quickly, then
>>when prompted insert the disc. Dont forget to reupdate
>>the driver in device manager once xp is installed. If u
>>cannot find the files, check the asustek website or drop
>>them an email.
>>
>>rgds
>>Paul

It's always a good idea to partition a large drive so the OS is on a
separate partition, and as much of your data and apps as possible on a
separate partition.

I would set up the Primary partition as 15-20 GB, and use the rest as an
extended partition for data and apps as you desire -- either one large (~100
GB) logical drive or 2 smaller ones.

"samrec" <samrec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> I've been reading problems with installing a fresh copy of XP pro onto
SATA drives and decided to post here for help.

> I just got the above mentioned mobo and will like to know if there is
anything I need to know prior to installing xp on it. I have already search
the mobo CD and there is nothing sata related on it. Something for lan,audio
and mini-ide but not sata. I haven't even fire up the box at all yet. I
just had everything installed last night and will hopefully install xp
today.

> The SATA drive is a 120gb and I was also wondering if it is ok to leave
the drive like that or to partition it.

Thanks to all for your input.

The new box is runing. Had no major problems. Only a minor issue with the usb controlers but a qiuick search in here and found the answer. deleted all controllers and rebooted. they all came back and the enhanced mode (usb 2.0) came back online and no more yellow "?"

Thanks again.