A7N8X-E Deluxe: Installation of Windows XP with RAID

I've just bought two WD 36.7Gb Raptors for my A7N8X-E Based system.

I currently have two 120Gb Diamondmax 9's with various partitions. I want to
setup the two Raptors in RAID 0 (already done in SATA BIOS) and reinstall
Windows using the RAID array. I've seen the prompt during installation of XP
asking for SATA drivers, is SIISUPP.VXD the correct file to put on a floppy,
any others?

I know I need to use a copy of Windows with at least SP1, which I already
have, but is there any known problems with SP2? I have a slipstreamed copy
Windows XP and SP2 with my serial key and other information already
preloaded.

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (Revision 1.01, BIOS 1008)
AMD AthlonXP 3200+ (Barton, 11 x 200, 1.65VCore)
1Gb (2 x 512) Samsung PC3200 400Mhz DDR RAM Dual Channel
(M368L6423DTM/CC400)
Leadtek WinFast GeForce 4 Ti4200 128Mb (A250LE TD MyVIVO)
19" Mitsubishi 1280x1024 100Hz 0.24 dot pitch (Diamond Pro 930SB BK)
2 x 120Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 8Mb Cache (6Y120P0, Primary Master,
Primary Slave, no RAID)
10 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe installation windows raid

    Tone-EQ wrote:
    > I've just bought two WD 36.7Gb Raptors for my A7N8X-E Based system.
    >
    > I currently have two 120Gb Diamondmax 9's with various partitions. I
    > want to setup the two Raptors in RAID 0 (already done in SATA BIOS)
    > and reinstall Windows using the RAID array. I've seen the prompt
    > during installation of XP asking for SATA drivers, is SIISUPP.VXD the
    > correct file to put on a floppy, any others?
    >
    > I know I need to use a copy of Windows with at least SP1, which I
    > already have, but is there any known problems with SP2? I have a
    > slipstreamed copy Windows XP and SP2 with my serial key and other
    > information already preloaded.

    I'm in a similar position to you except I've just bought a single 80GB
    Hitachi SATA drive which I'm yet to reinstall XP SP2 with a slip-streamed
    CD. I was intially confused by exactly what files to put on the floppy when
    pressing F6 during the install.

    The Asus m/b CD is not that clear. Under Drivers\Sata when you browse the
    disc, is a list of files; copy the lot to a floppy, ignoring the listed
    folders. I've yet to install XP on my new SATA drive but am confident this
    is the correct procedure. Before you do that however, I'd consider flashing
    your Bios to v1012e which updates the RAID firmware IIRC. I think this Bios
    revision also adds a RAID/SCSI boot option over v1011 that my board shipped
    with.

    If you want pucker ACPI power management where the fans turn off in Standby
    mode, don't forget to set this up in the Bios *before* you install XP, it
    won't work setting it after installing the OS! I'm not yet sure if you need
    to reset your boot device order or not (I'm guessing you may have to set HD0
    to OFF).

    Others here with direct experience may fill in any gaps. As for SP2, like
    any major s/w revision, there will always be some who have issues, I
    haven't - quite the opposite, much of the kernel has been recompiled & it
    seems to run both faster & more smoothly. The tightened Security defaults
    seem to be the main source of problems with SP2, so be prepared.

    RAID 0, rather you than me :) Storage Review stated it was a waste of time
    for the reduced level of reliability for a *non-server setup*. They also
    stated this would fall on deaf ears! I may buy a 2nd 80GB Hitachi (quiet
    drive!) & play with RAID 0 myself to directly compare it then return to
    non-raid, having imaged the drive 1st of course. I hope you have good
    speakers to drown the noise from those Raptors!

    download the latest drivers if it is 3112 from here...put them on a floppy
    and have it in when you start the XP install...a few minutes after you press
    F6 the point will come for it to install them...you are just queing it with
    the F6

    http://12.24.47.40/display/2/searchDirect/?searchString=drivers&searchType=allwords&searchby=keywords&r=0.5274469

    sorry timed out

    http://www.siimage.com/home.asp

    under search and support type drivers...
    then downloads folder on left and then SiL3x12..

    dino wrote:
    > sorry timed out
    >
    > http://www.siimage.com/home.asp
    >
    > under search and support type drivers...
    > then downloads folder on left and then SiL3x12..

    Interestingly, SI state these are general drivers & that m/b manufacturers
    may have specific ones. presumably the same goes for WinUpdate which I used
    in this case. Whatever, mine appears to be a signed & later version than
    from SI's own site?!

    I panicked a bit when pressing F6 during a clean install 'cos nothing seemed
    to happen. After a couple of retries, I left it alone to discover that the
    driver had indeed been loaded - that'll teach me not to watch the light on
    my floppy drive! I had no intention of doing a clean install at this stage
    but was a long-winded way of writing the correct boot.ini entry which ended
    up being identical as it happened. I'd already loaded the SI driver to my
    main copy of XP which I imaged onto the SATA drive, rebooted, let it find
    the new h/w & rebooted again. Works fine, though it's actually booting from
    my C drive on the IDE bus, so I don't yet know how much of a delay there
    would be booting directly from the single SATA disc. The idle noise from
    this Hitachi h/d is virtually inaudible & seek noise is also very low - just
    hope it remains so. My introduction to SATA has been fairly pain free.

    Regards

    I am running a Max120gig..silence would be nice..this thing sounds like a
    rabbit eating a carrot everytime you access it.

    I wouldnt advise the use of any drivers from winupdate, use those from manu.
    only
    Winupdate actually had a corrupt SI driver, previously, they also did for
    nvidea.

    "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > dino wrote:
    > > sorry timed out
    > >
    > > http://www.siimage.com/home.asp
    > >
    > > under search and support type drivers...
    > > then downloads folder on left and then SiL3x12..
    >
    > Interestingly, SI state these are general drivers & that m/b manufacturers
    > may have specific ones. presumably the same goes for WinUpdate which I
    used
    > in this case. Whatever, mine appears to be a signed & later version than
    > from SI's own site?!
    >
    > I panicked a bit when pressing F6 during a clean install 'cos nothing
    seemed
    > to happen. After a couple of retries, I left it alone to discover that the
    > driver had indeed been loaded - that'll teach me not to watch the light on
    > my floppy drive! I had no intention of doing a clean install at this stage
    > but was a long-winded way of writing the correct boot.ini entry which
    ended
    > up being identical as it happened. I'd already loaded the SI driver to my
    > main copy of XP which I imaged onto the SATA drive, rebooted, let it find
    > the new h/w & rebooted again. Works fine, though it's actually booting
    from
    > my C drive on the IDE bus, so I don't yet know how much of a delay there
    > would be booting directly from the single SATA disc. The idle noise from
    > this Hitachi h/d is virtually inaudible & seek noise is also very low -
    just
    > hope it remains so. My introduction to SATA has been fairly pain free.
    >
    > Regards

    > I wouldnt advise the use of any drivers from winupdate, use those from
    manu.
    > only
    > Winupdate actually had a corrupt SI driver, previously, they also did for
    > nvidea.

    Yeah, Windows Update screwed up my system when I tried to download a updated
    Nvidia driver for my Leadteq branded Ti4200, al least driver rollback fixed
    it sharpish.

    > Interestingly, SI state these are general drivers & that m/b manufacturers
    > may have specific ones. presumably the same goes for WinUpdate which I
    used
    > in this case. Whatever, mine appears to be a signed & later version than
    > from SI's own site?!
    >
    > I panicked a bit when pressing F6 during a clean install 'cos nothing
    seemed
    > to happen. After a couple of retries, I left it alone to discover that the
    > driver had indeed been loaded - that'll teach me not to watch the light on
    > my floppy drive!

    I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks!

    > I had no intention of doing a clean install at this stage
    > but was a long-winded way of writing the correct boot.ini entry which
    ended
    > up being identical as it happened. I'd already loaded the SI driver to my
    > main copy of XP which I imaged onto the SATA drive, rebooted, let it find
    > the new h/w & rebooted again. Works fine, though it's actually booting
    from
    > my C drive on the IDE bus, so I don't yet know how much of a delay there
    > would be booting directly from the single SATA disc. The idle noise from
    > this Hitachi h/d is virtually inaudible & seek noise is also very low -
    just
    > hope it remains so. My introduction to SATA has been fairly pain free.

    Everything seems OK hardware wise, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I boot
    from an install XP on the SATA drives.

    --
    Regards,
    Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

    Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
    http://www.discogs.com

    > > I've just bought two WD 36.7Gb Raptors for my A7N8X-E Based system.
    > >
    > > I currently have two 120Gb Diamondmax 9's with various partitions. I
    > > want to setup the two Raptors in RAID 0 (already done in SATA BIOS)
    > > and reinstall Windows using the RAID array. I've seen the prompt
    > > during installation of XP asking for SATA drivers, is SIISUPP.VXD the
    > > correct file to put on a floppy, any others?
    > >
    > > I know I need to use a copy of Windows with at least SP1, which I
    > > already have, but is there any known problems with SP2? I have a
    > > slipstreamed copy Windows XP and SP2 with my serial key and other
    > > information already preloaded.
    >
    > I'm in a similar position to you except I've just bought a single 80GB
    > Hitachi SATA drive which I'm yet to reinstall XP SP2 with a slip-streamed
    > CD. I was intially confused by exactly what files to put on the floppy
    when
    > pressing F6 during the install.
    >
    > The Asus m/b CD is not that clear. Under Drivers\Sata when you browse the
    > disc, is a list of files; copy the lot to a floppy, ignoring the listed
    > folders. I've yet to install XP on my new SATA drive but am confident this
    > is the correct procedure. Before you do that however, I'd consider
    flashing
    > your Bios to v1012e which updates the RAID firmware IIRC. I think this
    Bios
    > revision also adds a RAID/SCSI boot option over v1011 that my board
    shipped
    > with.

    Will do that right now for the BIOS, as I'm still using 1008. I have just
    downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the Asus site.

    Am I correct in thinking that I will need to select SCSI as first boot
    device to use the SATA drives to boot from?

    > If you want pucker ACPI power management where the fans turn off in
    Standby
    > mode, don't forget to set this up in the Bios *before* you install XP, it
    > won't work setting it after installing the OS! I'm not yet sure if you
    need
    > to reset your boot device order or not (I'm guessing you may have to set
    HD0
    > to OFF).

    That's how it's setup now and I shall be doing the same...

    > Others here with direct experience may fill in any gaps. As for SP2, like
    > any major s/w revision, there will always be some who have issues, I
    > haven't - quite the opposite, much of the kernel has been recompiled & it
    > seems to run both faster & more smoothly. The tightened Security defaults
    > seem to be the main source of problems with SP2, so be prepared.

    I will continue to use my own choice of firewall software, Windows and
    security don't belong in the same sentence unless there is fair amount of
    swearing... ;-)

    > RAID 0, rather you than me :) Storage Review stated it was a waste of time
    > for the reduced level of reliability for a *non-server setup*. They also
    > stated this would fall on deaf ears! I may buy a 2nd 80GB Hitachi (quiet
    > drive!) & play with RAID 0 myself to directly compare it then return to
    > non-raid, having imaged the drive 1st of course. I hope you have good
    > speakers to drown the noise from those Raptors!

    They're not as noisy as I thought they would be. With one of the case side
    panels off they sound like a 24x or 32x CD-ROM reading at full speed, with
    the case fully closed it's just like having another fan.

    Audio output is connected to a 400w (RMS) Aiwa amplifier, with a pair of
    Technics wired up, so no problems there!

    Thanks to everyone for their input on this, it is vey much appreciated.

    --

    Tone-EQ wrote:
    >> Interestingly, SI state these are general drivers & that m/b
    >> manufacturers may have specific ones. presumably the same goes for
    >> WinUpdate which I used in this case. Whatever, mine appears to be a
    >> signed & later version than from SI's own site?!
    >>
    >> I panicked a bit when pressing F6 during a clean install 'cos
    >> nothing seemed to happen. After a couple of retries, I left it alone
    >> to discover that the driver had indeed been loaded - that'll teach
    >> me not to watch the light on my floppy drive!
    >
    > I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks!

    Don't expect to see any floppy disc activity until it prompts to press the
    "S" key, there wasn't any when I retried with a different winnt.sif file.

    > Everything seems OK hardware wise, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I
    > boot from an install XP on the SATA drives.

    You may have to change the boot order only if you have any IDE h/ds attached
    with active partitions though I'm not absolutely sure 'cos I'm currently not
    booting off my single SATA disc which has XP on it. This arrangement boots
    very quickly so will be very interested to hear about your SATA boot time.
    I've recently had problems with WinUpdate versions of SoundStream & nVidia
    video drivers. They are often no more than signed but broken versions (on my
    PC at least). So I take back what I said about using WinUpdate as I do about
    the noise from the Raptors - Storage Review Com states they are quiet.

    Regards

Asus NAS / RAID Motherboards