Getting Files to a new hard drive.

I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.

I've bought a seagate 160 gig.

on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
called C:
my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
primary drive called E:

on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
C:- 15 gig for windows
D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
better)
E: The remainder of the drive for files.

Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
New drive.

Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
with windows on it.

If that is a problem can I delete windows from the onld
drive with out harming the files on the old drive's
second partition?

Thanks for your help!!!!

The new drive should come with a utilities disk which will enable you to
copy from the old drive to the new one.

Remember one thing.... the programs that are on the second drive, nearly
everything has registry entries in the Windows drive that point to where
they are actually installed on the current second drive so you MUST keep the
drive letter assignment the same or each and every program will have to be
reinstalled.

--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Jedd de Lucia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.
>
> I've bought a seagate 160 gig.
>
> on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
> called C:
> my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
> all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
> primary drive called E:
>
> on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
> C:- 15 gig for windows
> D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
> better)
> E: The remainder of the drive for files.
>
> Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
> New drive.
>
> Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
> partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
> drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
> both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
> with windows on it.
>
> If that is a problem can I delete windows from the onld
> drive with out harming the files on the old drive's
> second partition?
>

> Thanks for your help!!!!

What if I don't want to keep the same configuration.

I am concerend that my onld 6g drive is slow. I would like to have a new configuration with a:

15g partition for xp
15g partiton for programs
130 g parttiton for files

all on the new drive. I may use the old drive for mp3s.

If i just set this up with the new drve can I still get to the old e: drive partition. I don't care if i need to re load all of my programs. i just don't want to loose my files.

will the software with the new drive help me do this. I bougght it OEM form New egg so will i even have this utilities disk? where can i get it?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> The new drive should come with a utilities disk which will enable you to
> copy from the old drive to the new one.
>
> Remember one thing.... the programs that are on the second drive, nearly
> everything has registry entries in the Windows drive that point to where
> they are actually installed on the current second drive so you MUST keep the
> drive letter assignment the same or each and every program will have to be
> reinstalled.
>
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Jedd de Lucia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.
> >
> > I've bought a seagate 160 gig.
> >
> > on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
> > called C:
> > my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
> > all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
> > primary drive called E:
> >
> > on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
> > C:- 15 gig for windows
> > D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
> > better)
> > E: The remainder of the drive for files.
> >
> > Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
> > New drive.
> >
> > Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
> > partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
> > drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
> > both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
> > with windows on it.
> >
> > If that is a problem can I delete windows from the onld
> > drive with out harming the files on the old drive's
> > second partition?
> >

> > Thanks for your help!!!!

You should be able to get a copy of the utilities from the website of the
hard drive manufacturer. And yes, it should work even if the partition
sizes are different.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"jedd de Lucia" <jedd de Lucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What if I don't want to keep the same configuration.
>
> I am concerend that my onld 6g drive is slow. I would like to have a new
> configuration with a:
>
> 15g partition for xp
> 15g partiton for programs
> 130 g parttiton for files
>
> all on the new drive. I may use the old drive for mp3s.
>
> If i just set this up with the new drve can I still get to the old e:
> drive partition. I don't care if i need to re load all of my programs. i
> just don't want to loose my files.
>
> will the software with the new drive help me do this. I bougght it OEM
> form New egg so will i even have this utilities disk? where can i get it?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> The new drive should come with a utilities disk which will enable you to
>> copy from the old drive to the new one.
>>
>> Remember one thing.... the programs that are on the second drive, nearly
>> everything has registry entries in the Windows drive that point to where
>> they are actually installed on the current second drive so you MUST keep
>> the
>> drive letter assignment the same or each and every program will have to
>> be
>> reinstalled.
>>
>> --
>> Cari
>> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Jedd de Lucia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.
>> >
>> > I've bought a seagate 160 gig.
>> >
>> > on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
>> > called C:
>> > my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
>> > all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
>> > primary drive called E:
>> >
>> > on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
>> > C:- 15 gig for windows
>> > D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
>> > better)
>> > E: The remainder of the drive for files.
>> >
>> > Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
>> > New drive.
>> >
>> > Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
>> > partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
>> > drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
>> > both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
>> > with windows on it.
>> >
>> > If that is a problem can I delete windows from the onld
>> > drive with out harming the files on the old drive's
>> > second partition?
>> >

>> > Thanks for your help!!!!

Sandman

I always wonder why people want to partition a drive, since, if the HD fails
you lose everything anyway. Plus, the way XP accesses data on the drive is
such that larger files are placed on the outside edge of the platter, and
then smaller, vice versa.. You lose any advantage in speed of access of the
NTFS file system by not utilizing this (when you partition)....
"Jedd de Lucia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.
>
> I've bought a seagate 160 gig.
>
> on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
> called C:
> my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
> all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
> primary drive called E:
>
> on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
> C:- 15 gig for windows
> D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
> better)
> E: The remainder of the drive for files.
>
> Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
> New drive.
>
> Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
> partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
> drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
> both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
> with windows on it.
>
> If that is a problem can I delete windows from the onld
> drive with out harming the files on the old drive's
> second partition?
>

> Thanks for your help!!!!

Andy

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:32:44 -0700, "Jedd de Lucia"

>I have a 40 gig and a 6 gig right now.
>
>I've bought a seagate 160 gig.
>
>on the 40 gig i have a 10 gig partition for windows only
>called C:
>my programes are on the separate 6 gig D:
>all of my Files are on the 30 gig partition of the
>primary drive called E:
>
>on the new system I will partition the drive as follows.
>C:- 15 gig for windows
>D: (little drive) either mp3s or programs (which is
>better)
>E: The remainder of the drive for files.
>
>Once I do this how can I get all of my old file onto the
>New drive.
>
>Can I smple re load windows onto the new drive already
>partitioned and then put the old 40 gig in as a secondary
>drive and get to the fiels that way? what will happen if
>both drive are on the same ribbon both with a partition
>with windows on it.

Nothing adverse will occur. Your new Windows installation ignores any
other Windows installation.