Internet Connection Sharing

I am reposting my problem and recasting it in a different light hoping that
a new set of symptoms may prompt a new set of responses. I am getting really
frustrated at this persistent problem.

I have a desktop XP (SP2) machine connected to the Internet via a
Alcatel/Thomsom Speedtouch 530 modem/router which is connected to the XP
machine via an USB connection. This XP machine also has a D-Link DWL 520+
wireless adapter.

I also have a Toshiba laptop XP (SP2) machine which I am trying to get to
use a shared internet connection on the desktop. This laptop has an inbuilt
wireless adapter.

The wireless network between the two machines works perfectly. Each machine
can ping the other and and file and print sharing work OK.

The desktop machine can access the internet without any problem. However the
laptop is different story. If the firewall on the internet connection is
turned on, the laptop can access some sites but not others. I'm not 100%
sure of this but it seems that the sites which can be accessed are static
page sites. If the firewall is turned off, the laptop can then access a
greater number of sites but there are still many (including microsoft.com
and ford.com) that it can't access. Incidentally, by "can't access" I mean
hang. I don't get the "This Page Cannot be Displayed" message the internet
access process simply hangs.

Another symptom which may or may not be relevant is that if a site is able
to be accessed by some means (eg via a modem connection as described below,
then generally subsequent access via the speedtouch is more successful
(although still not 100%). If then the Temporary Internet Files are cleared,
attempted access again causes the process to hang.

If I disconnect the Speedtouch Modem/Router and connect the desktop machine
to the internet via a dialup modem and share this connection, everything
works fine - both machines can access the internet either with the firewall
turned on or off.

Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction with ICS.
But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who incidentally
turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't support the device
with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't change ISP readily as I
have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the device on my machine, but they
don't support a Network.

Can anyone help before I go insane?

Dennis Jelavic

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction with
> ICS. But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who
> incidentally turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't
> support the device with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't
> change ISP readily as I have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the
> device on my machine, but they don't support a Network.
>
> Can anyone help before I go insane?
>

> Dennis Jelavic

Have you thought about using a proxy server instead of ICS? I use CCProxy
which is free for up to 3 users
http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/proxy-server-download.htm . I personally
never use ICS because of its unpredictable behaviour.

Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now installed CCProxy on my Internet
Gateway Machine and can access the web successfully from this machine via
the Proxy Server. However attempting access to a web site via my laptop
through the Proxy still isn't working. The laptop tries to connect to
192.168.0.1 (my gateway) but then displays the "Page cannot be displayed"
message. The CCProxy log displays only those entries corresponding to web
access from the gateway machine. The attempts from the laptop do not make it
as far as the log.

Both machines can still ping each other and and file and printer sharing
work fine. The internet connection settings for the proxy server on the
laptop are identical to those on the gateway machine. Do you have any ideas
as to where to look to uncover the problem?

I have had it suggested to me to do away with my Speedtouch 530 modem/router
and install a wireless router but I'm afraid that this might end up just
like the Proxy Server.

Dennis Jelavic

"Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message

> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>

>> Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction with
>> ICS. But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who
>> incidentally turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't
>> support the device with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't
>> change ISP readily as I have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the
>> device on my machine, but they don't support a Network.
>>
>> Can anyone help before I go insane?
>>

>> Dennis Jelavic
>
> Have you thought about using a proxy server instead of ICS? I use CCProxy
> which is free for up to 3 users
> http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/proxy-server-download.htm . I
> personally never use ICS because of its unpredictable behaviour.

The problem is internet sharing when using a USB Modem can be difficult. If
you have the option I would replace your USB modem with an ethernet model.
When I had a USB modem in my configuration I used a program called wingate.
Its easy to setup and

If you cant then you must use a proxy program to share internet. When I had
a USB modem in my configuration I used a program called wingate. Its easy to
setup and worked great for me. You only install the proxy on your computer
that is connected to the modem. The other systems will access your router
that is connected to your internet computer for sharing.

"Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>I am reposting my problem and recasting it in a different light hoping that
>a new set of symptoms may prompt a new set of responses. I am getting
>really frustrated at this persistent problem.
>
> I have a desktop XP (SP2) machine connected to the Internet via a
> Alcatel/Thomsom Speedtouch 530 modem/router which is connected to the XP
> machine via an USB connection. This XP machine also has a D-Link DWL 520+
> wireless adapter.
>
> I also have a Toshiba laptop XP (SP2) machine which I am trying to get to
> use a shared internet connection on the desktop. This laptop has an
> inbuilt wireless adapter.
>
> The wireless network between the two machines works perfectly. Each
> machine can ping the other and and file and print sharing work OK.
>
> The desktop machine can access the internet without any problem. However
> the laptop is different story. If the firewall on the internet connection
> is turned on, the laptop can access some sites but not others. I'm not
> 100% sure of this but it seems that the sites which can be accessed are
> static page sites. If the firewall is turned off, the laptop can then
> access a greater number of sites but there are still many (including
> microsoft.com and ford.com) that it can't access. Incidentally, by "can't
> access" I mean hang. I don't get the "This Page Cannot be Displayed"
> message the internet access process simply hangs.
>
> Another symptom which may or may not be relevant is that if a site is able
> to be accessed by some means (eg via a modem connection as described
> below, then generally subsequent access via the speedtouch is more
> successful (although still not 100%). If then the Temporary Internet Files
> are cleared, attempted access again causes the process to hang.
>
> If I disconnect the Speedtouch Modem/Router and connect the desktop
> machine to the internet via a dialup modem and share this connection,
> everything works fine - both machines can access the internet either with
> the firewall turned on or off.
>
> Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction with
> ICS. But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who
> incidentally turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't
> support the device with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't
> change ISP readily as I have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the
> device on my machine, but they don't support a Network.
>
> Can anyone help before I go insane?
>

> Dennis Jelavic

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:11:06 +1000, "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>I am reposting my problem and recasting it in a different light hoping that
>a new set of symptoms may prompt a new set of responses. I am getting really
>frustrated at this persistent problem.
>
>I have a desktop XP (SP2) machine connected to the Internet via a
>Alcatel/Thomsom Speedtouch 530 modem/router which is connected to the XP
>machine via an USB connection. This XP machine also has a D-Link DWL 520+
>wireless adapter.
>
>I also have a Toshiba laptop XP (SP2) machine which I am trying to get to
>use a shared internet connection on the desktop. This laptop has an inbuilt
>wireless adapter.
>
>The wireless network between the two machines works perfectly. Each machine
>can ping the other and and file and print sharing work OK.
>
>The desktop machine can access the internet without any problem. However the
>laptop is different story. If the firewall on the internet connection is
>turned on, the laptop can access some sites but not others. I'm not 100%
>sure of this but it seems that the sites which can be accessed are static
>page sites. If the firewall is turned off, the laptop can then access a
>greater number of sites but there are still many (including microsoft.com
>and ford.com) that it can't access. Incidentally, by "can't access" I mean
>hang. I don't get the "This Page Cannot be Displayed" message the internet
>access process simply hangs.
>
>Another symptom which may or may not be relevant is that if a site is able
>to be accessed by some means (eg via a modem connection as described below,
>then generally subsequent access via the speedtouch is more successful
>(although still not 100%). If then the Temporary Internet Files are cleared,
>attempted access again causes the process to hang.
>
>If I disconnect the Speedtouch Modem/Router and connect the desktop machine
>to the internet via a dialup modem and share this connection, everything
>works fine - both machines can access the internet either with the firewall
>turned on or off.
>
>Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction with ICS.
>But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who incidentally
>turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't support the device
>with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't change ISP readily as I
>have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the device on my machine, but they
>don't support a Network.
>
>Can anyone help before I go insane?
>

>Dennis Jelavic

Dennis,

Check your MTU settings. I've heard of the MTU problem causing the browser to
"hang" (just sit there waiting forever, though not locked so you have to
terminate it using Task Manager):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314825
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319661
http://www.allensmith.net/Windows/ICS/xpICSmtu.htm

--
Cheers,
Chuck

--
stormm99

stormm99 <stormm99.1j9943@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in

> [...]
>> attempted access again causes the process to hang.
>>
>> If I disconnect the Speedtouch Modem/Router and connect the desktop
>> machine
>> to the internet via a dialup modem and share this connection,
>> everything
>> works fine - both machines can access the internet either with the
>> firewall
>> turned on or off.
>>
>> Logic seems to point to the Speedtouch device and its interaction
>> with ICS.
>> But what is the problem? The device is supplied by my ISP who
>> incidentally
>> turn off the Speedtouch's inbuilt firewall and they won't support the
>> device
>> with the firewall turned on. (Unfortunately I can't change ISP
>> readily as I
>> have a 2 yr contract.) The ISP installed the device on my machine,

Hi Dennis,

It's been a while since I've thought about ICS, so I'm not 100% sure about
this. However, I believe that I know what the problem is. The ICS feature
of Windows is essentially a router. Because the Speedtouch is also
providing routing, the redundant services are probably causing a conflict
that is preventing the traffic. I'm not familiar with Speedtouch
modem/routers, so I don't know how configurable they are, but you can try a
few options:

[First option] A), On the desktop computer, disable ICS. Then (B), bridge
the wireless adapter to the network connection - listed under "LAN or High-
Speed Internet" - that connects to the Modem. The Network Bridge will
enable packet forwarding between the wireless and wired segments of your
network.

A) To Disable ICS:
Open Network Connections.
1. Under Dial-up or LAN or High-Speed Internet, right-click the shared
connection which you want to disable (ICS), and then click Properties.
2. On the "Advanced" tab, under "Internet Connection Sharing," clear the
"Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet
connection" check box.

B) To Enable Network Bridge
1. Open "Network Connections."
2. Under "LAN or High-Speed Internet," hold down the "CTRL" key, and then
click each of the adapters that you want to include in the bridge. This
will be your D-Link DWL 520 wireless adapter, and "probably" your
Speedtouch modem (see notes* below).
3. Right-click one of the connections that you have selected, and then
click "Bridge Connections."

Notes:
*To open "Network Connections," click "Start," click "Control Panel," and
then double-click "Network Connections."
*I've never tried bridging using a USB connection, so I don't know how
that will work, or what that device will be listed as in Network
Connections. If it fails for whatever reason, I'd recommend that you change
the connection between the modem and desktop computer to use Ethernet
(RJ45), rather than USB, if your desktop computer has an Ethernet adapter.
Then you can simply bridge between the Ethernet adapter, and the wireless
adapter.

[Second option] Purchase a wireless access point to provide wireless
services for your laptop computer, and disable ICS [instructions below].
This probably the best solution, although - obviously - more expensive.

[Third option] You could try to disable routing on the Speedtouch modem;
then only ICS will provide routing services. I don't know if you will have
any luck with this option.

Note that for security reasons, it is strongly advised that you enable
Windows Firewall on all of your connections, and either WEP or WPA
(preferably WPA) on your wireless connections. There's a lot of good
information about Bridging, WEP/WPA and other wireless topics on the
Microsoft Wi-Fi site, under "Windows XP Expert Zone," at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/wifi/def
ault.mspx

Best of luck,

--
Brit Weston, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
account name for newsgroup participation only.

rights.

TRENDING THREADS