can my A7n8X had fried my Sony DVcam firewire ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,rec.video (More info?)

Hello,

I'm afraid that my Asus A7N8X deluxe mainboard fried my Sony PC8 DVcam
firewire port:
- the DVcam was perfectly working for DV transfer using a 4-pin cable,
either to a friend's PC101 DVcam, or to Mac a G4.
- two month ago I gave my PC system a cheap upgrade by swapping the
motherboard with a new A7N8X deluxe motherboard, with onboard
firewire. The system is running fine with Win 2k SP4
- last month, I made my first DV video capture with the new system,
without a glitch. The captured DV stream was perfect and no error were
reported, either on the PC side nor on the Cam side.
- I did not used the camrecorder until last week, when I captured 12
minutes of video. When I connected it to the PC, it was no longer
detected by windows. However a DV-in flag is displayed on the cam (in
VCR mode). At first I suspected a software issue, or a PC side issue;
but then I tried to connect the camrecorder to a friend's PC, then to
another Sony camrecorder, then to a Mac and finally to a Canon XL1
camrecorder with the same result: nothing detected.

I'm afraid that the DV port on my camrecord has been fried. I'm very
cautious with my devices and connector, and the camrecorder has been
used only one time since the last time the DV port worked (connected
to my Asus A7N8X onboard firewire), so I strongly suspect the Asus
board!

I did some quick research on the Web and found a similar report:
http://groups.google.fr/groups?hl=fr&lr=&selm=YzGyb.36253%24Ac1.787361%40weber.videotron.net

- Do other people have been victim of this?
- What can I do?

Thank you for your help...

"Pierre_Cat" <pierre_catello@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm afraid that my Asus A7N8X deluxe mainboard fried my Sony PC8 DVcam
> firewire port:
> - the DVcam was perfectly working for DV transfer using a 4-pin cable,
> either to a friend's PC101 DVcam, or to Mac a G4.
> - two month ago I gave my PC system a cheap upgrade by swapping the
> motherboard with a new A7N8X deluxe motherboard, with onboard
> firewire. The system is running fine with Win 2k SP4
> - last month, I made my first DV video capture with the new system,
> without a glitch. The captured DV stream was perfect and no error were
> reported, either on the PC side nor on the Cam side.
> - I did not used the camrecorder until last week, when I captured 12
> minutes of video. When I connected it to the PC, it was no longer
> detected by windows. However a DV-in flag is displayed on the cam (in
> VCR mode). At first I suspected a software issue, or a PC side issue;
> but then I tried to connect the camrecorder to a friend's PC, then to
> another Sony camrecorder, then to a Mac and finally to a Canon XL1
> camrecorder with the same result: nothing detected.

Same thing happened to me, except I did it to TWO Sony miniDV camcorders.
One of them is a prosumer machine, and will cost me $500 to have repaired.
Needless to say, I will not be connecting it back to my ASUS.

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message news:<7519d.104$6q2.93@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...

> Same thing happened to me, except I did it to TWO Sony miniDV camcorders.
> One of them is a prosumer machine, and will cost me $500 to have repaired.
> Needless to say, I will not be connecting it back to my ASUS.

- Was it on the same board (A7N8X) as mine ?
- Did you contact Asus to have your board repaired/replaced, and may
be some compensation for your damaged camcorders?

P.

pierre_catello@yahoo.fr (Pierre_Cat) wrote in message news:<75fe0aa0.0410070031.3565a700@posting.google.com>...
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message news:<7519d.104$6q2.93@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...
>

> > Same thing happened to me, except I did it to TWO Sony miniDV camcorders.
> > One of them is a prosumer machine, and will cost me $500 to have repaired.
> > Needless to say, I will not be connecting it back to my ASUS.
>
> - Was it on the same board (A7N8X) as mine ?

IIRC, it's in the A7 series, but notthe A7N8X.

> - Did you contact Asus to have your board repaired/replaced, and may
> be some compensation for your damaged camcorders?

I haven't bothered. I don't expect they'd pay for the damage unless I
can prove it's the board (which I can't). I'm a lawyer -- I'm not
about to sue for damages under $1,000.

Once I get my camera repaired, I'll buy a 1394 card and use that,
instead of the mb's 1394 ports.

On 7 Oct 2004 07:41:18 -0700, ptravel@ruyitang.com (PTRAVEL) wrote:

>> > Same thing happened to me, except I did it to TWO Sony miniDV camcorders.
>> > One of them is a prosumer machine, and will cost me $500 to have repaired.
>> > Needless to say, I will not be connecting it back to my ASUS.
>>
>> - Was it on the same board (A7N8X) as mine ?
>
>IIRC, it's in the A7 series, but notthe A7N8X.

Was this an issue with mis-plugging the lead from a back-panel
Firewire port into the motherboard? Many boards recently have
sockets that allow incorrect connection.

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> - Was it on the same board (A7N8X) as mine ?
>>
>>IIRC, it's in the A7 series, but notthe A7N8X.
>
> Was this an issue with mis-plugging the lead from a back-panel
> Firewire port into the motherboard? Many boards recently have
> sockets that allow incorrect connection.

I'm not completely sure what happened. We recently moved, and I've been
replugging a lot of things. It is quite possible that it was misplugged.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,rec.video (More info?)

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<auhbm0p6delsugb0l9cqa731b5jj4smm5g@4ax.com>...

> Was this an issue with mis-plugging the lead from a back-panel
> Firewire port into the motherboard? Many boards recently have
> sockets that allow incorrect connection.

In my case the lead to the motherboard is correctly plugged; and the
DV capture worked one time (and only one, the next time the camcorder
port was fried)

P.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,rec.video (More info?)

On 8 Oct 2004 02:47:46 -0700, pierre_catello@yahoo.fr (Pierre_Cat)
wrote:

>> Was this an issue with mis-plugging the lead from a back-panel
>> Firewire port into the motherboard? Many boards recently have
>> sockets that allow incorrect connection.
>
>In my case the lead to the motherboard is correctly plugged; and the
>DV capture worked one time (and only one, the next time the camcorder
>port was fried)

That's bad. Have there been other reports of this with similar
motherboards?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,rec.video (More info?)

I did the same thing--I swapped my firewire/USB ports around. It's supposed
to be bad as you could possibly damage the connection. Luckily, nothing
happened in my case. At least I haven't noticed it yet. The manual does
warn you about it.