P4C800E-DLX bios 18

BIOS 18 (not the beta) for the P4C800E-Dlx is out, at least on one of the
ftp sites. I've installed it -- had to redo my CMOS settings and boot order
afterwards, but everything seems OK. Anybody know what this version is
supposed to incorporate? Why am I better off? Am I better off?When is v.19
coming? Good wishes to all.

formerprof

I recently used AsusUpdate from within XP Home to update the BIOS on my
P4P800-E Deluxe board. AsusUpdate found nothing on the US or TW sites, but
it did find BIOS v.1004 on the German site. The first thing AsusUpdate did
was update itself to the latest version. Then, I had it download the new
BIOS file to my hard drive, then load the BIOS from the file on the HD to
the BIOS. It worked perfectly. I had to reboot when the update completed,
and I had to reset all of my custom settings in the BIOS. Otherwise,
nothing to report.

Having read many BIOS-update warnings on this NG, I have to say I crossed my
fingers during the update process. It might have been safer to use the DOS
update tool, but at the time, I guess I was feeling lucky and just followed
the easy route. Since I'd previously written down all of my BIOS
modifications, the whole process didn't take ten minutes.

John

"formerprof" wrote
> Anybody know what this version is supposed to incorporate? Why am I
> better off? Am I better off?When is v.19 coming?

Hi,

I don't think you should update the BIOS for no reason? If your system
works fine then leave the BIOS alone. If you got a problem then you should
check for a BIOS update, but you should *read* what it fixes first.

If a new BIOS has something really cool about it, then I'm sure you will
hear the good news on the forums.
--
Wayne ][

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "formerprof" wrote
>> Anybody know what this version is supposed to incorporate? Why am I
>> better off? Am I better off?When is v.19 coming?
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think you should update the BIOS for no reason? If your system
> works fine then leave the BIOS alone. If you got a problem then you
> should check for a BIOS update, but you should *read* what it fixes first.
>
> If a new BIOS has something really cool about it, then I'm sure you will
> hear the good news on the forums.
> --
> Wayne ][

I enjoy having the latest BIOS; been doing it for many years without a
single glitch and certainly have had no catastrophes. I usually do read the
description but ASUS seems to be unusually slow in posting it for this
upgrade.
YMMV -- but I suspect that the conventional wisdom substantially overstates
the risks. All good wishes -- and I'm still hoping that someone can answer
my question.

formerprof

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "formerprof" wrote
> > Anybody know what this version is supposed to incorporate? Why am I
> > better off? Am I better off?When is v.19 coming?
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think you should update the BIOS for no reason? If your system
> works fine then leave the BIOS alone. If you got a problem then you
should
> check for a BIOS update, but you should *read* what it fixes first.

No, flashing to the latest BIOS is always a good idea. The fix list almost
never includes all the stuff in a new BIOS so depending on the list may skip
many new things and possibly the one that will help to avoid a problem.
They don't come out with these new BIOSs just for fun.

"formerprof" <formerprof@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "formerprof" wrote
> >> Anybody know what this version is supposed to incorporate? Why am I
> >> better off? Am I better off?When is v.19 coming?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't think you should update the BIOS for no reason? If your system
> > works fine then leave the BIOS alone. If you got a problem then you
> > should check for a BIOS update, but you should *read* what it fixes
first.

> > If a new BIOS has something really cool about it, then I'm sure you will
> > hear the good news on the forums.
> > --
> > Wayne ][
>

> I enjoy having the latest BIOS; been doing it for many years without a
> single glitch and certainly have had no catastrophes.

Most folks who have been doing this for awhile arrive at your position.
They also find in the long run that they have fewer problems and glitches.

> I usually do read the
> description but ASUS seems to be unusually slow in posting it for this
> upgrade.
> YMMV -- but I suspect that the conventional wisdom substantially
overstates
> the risks.

They are in fact fear-mongers on the issue.

> All good wishes -- and I'm still hoping that someone can answer
> my question.

Does this bios fix the slow boot the 1017 version had?

"jerham" <jerrham@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Does this bios fix the slow boot the 1017 version had?
>
> formerprof wrote:
>> BIOS 18 (not the beta) for the P4C800E-Dlx is out, at least on one of the
snip

Not noticeably

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I recently used AsusUpdate from within XP Home to update the BIOS on my
> P4P800-E Deluxe board. AsusUpdate found nothing on the US or TW sites,
but
> it did find BIOS v.1004 on the German site. The first thing AsusUpdate
did
> was update itself to the latest version. Then, I had it download the new
> BIOS file to my hard drive, then load the BIOS from the file on the HD to
> the BIOS. It worked perfectly. I had to reboot when the update
completed,
> and I had to reset all of my custom settings in the BIOS. Otherwise,
> nothing to report.
>
> Having read many BIOS-update warnings on this NG, I have to say I crossed
my
> fingers during the update process.

Too many fear-mongers spewing old wives' tales.

> It might have been safer to use the DOS
> update tool, but at the time, I guess I was feeling lucky and just
followed
> the easy route. Since I'd previously written down all of my BIOS
> modifications, the whole process didn't take ten minutes.

Yep, as expected.

In article <10m8osadaokh4e6@corp.supernews.com>, formerprof@yahoo.com
says...
> BIOS 18 (not the beta) for the P4C800E-Dlx is out, at least on one of the
> ftp sites. I've installed it -- had to redo my CMOS settings and boot order
> afterwards, but everything seems OK. Anybody know what this version is
> supposed to incorporate? Why am I better off? Am I better off?When is v.19
> coming? Good wishes to all.
>
> formerprof

Which ftp server, I don't see it ...

"Bob Cronin" <rlcronin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
snip

> Which ftp server, I don't see it ...

Try ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/

Also at:-

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E%20Deluxe&Type=Latest

1.. Add CPU LockFree function.
2.. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at
3.. http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

"Add CPU LockFree Function". Sounds good, alas i can't find any options in
the bios to do this.

>> Which ftp server, I don't see it ...
>
> Try ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/

WHAT is "CPU LockFree Function"???????