P4P800-E : When an IDE drive is connected, impossible to b..

martin

Hi,

I just installed Win XP on my SATA drive alone. Everything's fine.

Now, when I connect an IDE hard drive on the primary (or secondary)
IDE channel, I can't boot from the SATA anymore!

When an IDE drive is connected, I don't have an option in the BIOS
Boot Sequence to boot from the SATA.

If I disconnect the IDE, the SATA appears in the boot sequence...

What to do now?

Thanks for your answers,
Martin.

I have the P4P800-E Deluxe board, an SATA drive as my C: drive with XP Home
loaded, an EIDE drive (D:) on the Primary IDE channel and a DVD drive on the
Secondary IDE channel.

In BIOS Advanced>Onboard Device Configuration, I've disabled the OnBoard
Promise Controller. This makes the system boot faster since it doesn't hunt
for the RAID drive.

In the BIOS Boot section, I've set the SATA drive to "1st Boot Device" in
Hard Disk Drive section, and to "1st Boot Device" in the Boot Device
Priority section. Note that there are two settings to make.

I hope this helps.

John

"Martin" <ericlaperriere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just installed Win XP on my SATA drive alone. Everything's fine.
>
> Now, when I connect an IDE hard drive on the primary (or secondary)
> IDE channel, I can't boot from the SATA anymore!
>
> When an IDE drive is connected, I don't have an option in the BIOS
> Boot Sequence to boot from the SATA.
>
> If I disconnect the IDE, the SATA appears in the boot sequence...
>
> What to do now?
>
> Thanks for your answers,
> Martin.

martin

John,

Thanks a lot for your help! It's working fine now! ;-)

Thanks again,
Martin.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:41:50 -0700, "John Blaustein"
<nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

>I have the P4P800-E Deluxe board, an SATA drive as my C: drive with XP Home
>loaded, an EIDE drive (D:) on the Primary IDE channel and a DVD drive on the
>Secondary IDE channel.
>
>In BIOS Advanced>Onboard Device Configuration, I've disabled the OnBoard
>Promise Controller. This makes the system boot faster since it doesn't hunt
>for the RAID drive.
>
>In the BIOS Boot section, I've set the SATA drive to "1st Boot Device" in
>Hard Disk Drive section, and to "1st Boot Device" in the Boot Device
>Priority section. Note that there are two settings to make.
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>John
>

>"Martin" <ericlaperriere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed Win XP on my SATA drive alone. Everything's fine.
>>
>> Now, when I connect an IDE hard drive on the primary (or secondary)
>> IDE channel, I can't boot from the SATA anymore!
>>
>> When an IDE drive is connected, I don't have an option in the BIOS
>> Boot Sequence to boot from the SATA.
>>
>> If I disconnect the IDE, the SATA appears in the boot sequence...
>>
>> What to do now?
>>
>> Thanks for your answers,
>> Martin.

Martin,

You are welcome. I'm so glad to be able to help someone here because I've
received so much valuable help myself in the past few months as I researched
and then assembled my first do-it-yourself system.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:09:08 -0400 Martin said :

>Hi,
>
>I just installed Win XP on my SATA drive alone. Everything's fine.
>
>Now, when I connect an IDE hard drive on the primary (or secondary)
>IDE channel, I can't boot from the SATA anymore!
>
>When an IDE drive is connected, I don't have an option in the BIOS
>Boot Sequence to boot from the SATA.
>
>If I disconnect the IDE, the SATA appears in the boot sequence...
>
>What to do now?
>
>Thanks for your answers,
>Martin.

OT

Do you hae any AI Logo problems?

On Mine I can not enable the logo or else the system keeps
erroring out and rebooting.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

TK

That's because when you add another drive (if your board does like my
p4p800E del.)
it resets the hdd bootorder. Go into the bios and reorder to your liking.