A7N8X-E Deluxe Cannot update Bios

When I try to update my bios the bin file loads OK and when it says do you
want to programme Y/N and I press Y nothing happens at all, no messages
nothing.
Thankfully, the present bios still loads OK. I am using the correct award
utility.
Very strange.
What else can I do?
Jim
3 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe update bios

    Jim wrote:
    > When I try to update my bios the bin file loads OK and when it says
    > do you want to programme Y/N and I press Y nothing happens at all, no
    > messages nothing.
    > Thankfully, the present bios still loads OK. I am using the correct
    > award utility.
    > Very strange.
    > What else can I do?
    > Jim

    When I tried to use the bios based method to go from 1011 my new board
    shipped with, I couldn't enter any text! I then formatted a floppy under XP
    then copied both the award files & 1012e bin which worked OK. There wasn't
    room to d/l the old bios back onto the floppy so I risked not bothering. You
    may have enough room if you create a second floppy without the boot files or
    just boot from the floppy, change directory to C & do it from there if
    you're not using NTFS (having placed the award bin & files there 1st).

    If you've already tried this method & it fails, try either the Bios built-in
    method or, as a last resort, the Asus Windows updater if possible. I've
    reformatted old floppy discs which have failed on me, retry with a new one.
    Good luck!

    Regards

    "Jim" <jim@internet.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to update my bios the bin file loads OK and when it says do you
    > want to programme Y/N and I press Y nothing happens at all, no messages
    > nothing.
    > Thankfully, the present bios still loads OK. I am using the correct award
    > utility.
    > Very strange.
    > What else can I do?
    > Jim
    Mmm, mine was the same! Grrr, I ended up using the Asus update
    utility fully booted from xp pro.
    Against all conventions, but it worked a treat.

    Just clench your buttocks tightly if you do it...

    Good luck
    Ted

    Hi Paul,
    Well, all else did fail!! So I tried the windows Updater which logged on
    after
    a while, and it just all happened. Thats my faith slightly restored in
    automation.
    Many thanks for your suggestion.
    My Adaptec 39320 Scsi Card (which is PCI-x) would not boot after DMI Pool
    Update so I went back to older bioses
    to see if that would cure the problem, as the card had worked well in my
    slightly older A7N8X Board.
    Not curing the problem, I then could not go back to the latest bios, hence
    my query.
    Needless to say my Adaptec Ultra 160 Card works well on either Mobo.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks for your help
    Regards
    Jim

    "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    >> When I try to update my bios the bin file loads OK and when it says
    >> do you want to programme Y/N and I press Y nothing happens at all, no
    >> messages nothing.
    >> Thankfully, the present bios still loads OK. I am using the correct
    >> award utility.
    >> Very strange.
    >> What else can I do?
    >> Jim
    >
    > When I tried to use the bios based method to go from 1011 my new board
    > shipped with, I couldn't enter any text! I then formatted a floppy under
    > XP then copied both the award files & 1012e bin which worked OK. There
    > wasn't room to d/l the old bios back onto the floppy so I risked not
    > bothering. You may have enough room if you create a second floppy without
    > the boot files or just boot from the floppy, change directory to C & do it
    > from there if you're not using NTFS (having placed the award bin & files
    > there 1st).
    >
    > If you've already tried this method & it fails, try either the Bios
    > built-in method or, as a last resort, the Asus Windows updater if
    > possible. I've reformatted old floppy discs which have failed on me, retry
    > with a new one. Good luck!
    >
    > Regards

Asus BIOS Motherboards