Triple interface external hard drive

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have just purchased the above and also upgraded my PC
to USB 2.0 by adding a Belkin Hi Speed USB 2.0 pci card.
The card seems to be working OK.
The drive does not appear to be working properly. If I
boot up the PC and then plug in device it is shown as a
drive and also as a mass storage device in Device
Manager. If the PC is then booted up with the USB cable
still plugged in the drive is not recognised and the
system becomes unstable. On a couple of occasions this
has resulted in the Blue screen with a stop message 0X
000000D1 which I understand is a driver problem!
I have also tried the drive in a different PC with 1.1
USB ports, it recognised it as a USB 2.0 device in "found
new hardware" and then went on to say that the device did
not install fully and may not work correctly. It did show
as a drive on the machine!
Anybody got any ideas before I return this drive as
faulty?
Thanks

bar

Have you followed the user manual to 'the letter'.

I would expect that all new drives will require formatting and drive letter assignment.

Is this part of your instruction manual?

To use Disk Management in XP, to format, partition etc: you might need to be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to perform some tasks.

Disk Management is a system utility for managing hard disks and the partitions or volumes that they contain. With Disk Management, you can initialize new disks, create volumes, and format volumes with the FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file systems. Disk Management enables you to perform most disk-related tasks without shutting down your computer; most configuration changes take effect immediately.

To open Disk Management
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

"Chris" wrote:

> I have just purchased the above and also upgraded my PC
> to USB 2.0 by adding a Belkin Hi Speed USB 2.0 pci card.
> The card seems to be working OK.
> The drive does not appear to be working properly. If I
> boot up the PC and then plug in device it is shown as a
> drive and also as a mass storage device in Device
> Manager. If the PC is then booted up with the USB cable
> still plugged in the drive is not recognised and the
> system becomes unstable. On a couple of occasions this
> has resulted in the Blue screen with a stop message 0X
> 000000D1 which I understand is a driver problem!
> I have also tried the drive in a different PC with 1.1
> USB ports, it recognised it as a USB 2.0 device in "found
> new hardware" and then went on to say that the device did
> not install fully and may not work correctly. It did show
> as a drive on the machine!
> Anybody got any ideas before I return this drive as
> faulty?
> Thanks

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks for response, yes I used disk management as
instructed in manual and formatted the disk to NTFS.

Hi, Chris.

"Triple interface" is a new term to me. What does that mean? What is the
make and model of the drive?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for response, yes I used disk management as
> instructed in manual and formatted the disk to NTFS.

>>> Thanks

Sorry I coined the term to mean USB, Firewire 400 and
Firewire 800. The drive is a LaCie D2 250 Mb.
Chris

Hi,

I just purchased a LaCie D2 500 GB drive, and I'm having the exact same
problem as you described. Everything works OK if I power-on the drive after
my computer has booted. I have formatted the disk, and used it already for
several weeks (daily backups etc). I haven't seen any blue screens.

When I boot, my system doesn't recognize the drive. Also, as you described,
my system becomes unresponsive as well. I cannot open any new programs (like
IE), and if I open Windows Explorer, and expand the My Computer branch, it
hangs. The hangs probably happen when programs try to enumerate through all
drives in the system, and fail with the USB drive. When I power-down the USB
drive, everything starts working. When I power it up, the drive shows OK,
and I can use it fine until next reboot.

I have installed all hotfixes from Windows Update, and most recommended
updates as well (it included one for some USB2 problem if I remember
correctly).

Chris, did you find a solution? Anybody else, any suggestions would be
appreciated!

--

Mikko Noromaa (mikkon@excelsql.com)
- SQL in Excel, check out ExcelSQL! - see http://www.excelsql.com -