Scanner driver not recognized

I installed the most up-to-date driver for my Memorex 6142 scanner
connecting the scanner when called for. XP told me a new device was detected
and was ready for use. However, it appears as an unknown device under USB
in Device manager and, checking properties, it says, "no drivers are
installed for this device".

I've deleted and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and scanner many
times but can't get it to work. The software won't recognize it as a Twain
device.

The bad part is that it worked at one time.

Any suggestions as to how to get a clean install would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Disconnect all your USB devices. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs
and uninstall the Scanner Software. Rt click on MyComputer>select
Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>USB controllers. Click + to expand and
rt click and choose Uninstall for each entry. Restart and reinstall
your Scanner software. Then reconnect all your USB devices.

"John Williams" <john@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> I installed the most up-to-date driver for my Memorex 6142 scanner
> connecting the scanner when called for. XP told me a new device was
detected
> and was ready for use. However, it appears as an unknown device under USB
> in Device manager and, checking properties, it says, "no drivers are
> installed for this device".
>
> I've deleted and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and scanner many
> times but can't get it to work. The software won't recognize it as a
Twain
> device.
>
> The bad part is that it worked at one time.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to get a clean install would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Are you suggesting I delete "Intel(r) 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host
Controller", "Unknown Device" and "USB Root HUB" or just the Unknown Device?

I'm not sure I want to delete other than the unknown device and I have
deleted it and reinstalled the driver several times with no success.

Any other suggestions?

Thanx.