oem mb question

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 8, 2004 7:30:34 AM

i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4 motherboard.
when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen and then it
continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be for both p4 and
celeron. any ideas. thanks

More about : oem question

October 8, 2004 7:15:43 PM

In article <uRn9d.7699$pw4.6853@trnddc01>, "Irv" <irving@ktb.net> wrote:

> i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4 motherboard.
> when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen and then it
> continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be for both p4 and
> celeron. any ideas. thanks

Intel has blessed us with way too many flavors of processors.
Maybe you have a Celeron D, and the BIOS and Vcore supply cannot
handle it ? Some of the older motherboards are effectively
restricted to Northwood processors (0.13u) and to the lower
FSB values. Newer Prescott (90nm) processors are a problem.

You can look up your processor via the SSPEC (SLxxx code on the
box somewhere), or the longer order code - see processorfinder.intel.com
..

The Intel pricelist is here, and shows you how much product is
currently shipping as Northwood (0.13u) or Prescott (90nm).
Buying a 0.13u processor is more likely to work.

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

Does HP have a support phone number ? Maybe they can tell you
exactly what works. Or, if you know of a particular Asus retail
motherboard that matches the design of your board, you can
check the cpusupport web page for that board, and "proceed
by analogy".

(P4G533-LA BIOS upgrade - download and see if it has any release
notes as to what it fixes.)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...

(specs)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...

I found a picture of the P4G533-LA and it bears a striking
resemblance to P4GE-VM (see page 13) -

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4ge-vm/e116...

So, go here and look up P4GE-VM, to see what processors will work.
There are no Prescotts or Celeron D processors listed there:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...

HTH,
Paul
October 9, 2004 3:27:51 AM

hi Paul

thanks for the response. the chip is a celeron 2.4 and i know it is not a D
chip. the board is supposed to handle p4 and celeron 400 ghz chips
(interesting that the name of the board has 533 in it).

when the power goes on i hear the first beep and less than a second later,
it starts beeping real fast and a second or two later, the beep becomes
continuous. i have tried different power supplies and different ram. no
change. i have tried with nothing connected except the monitor. i tried
with no ram and the beeps became different so it is something that is being
checked right after the ram. i am leaning toward a bad motherboard.

now, by screwing around so much, i broke one of the heatsink hold downs on
another motherboard. never a dull moment.

irv

">
>> i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4
>> motherboard. when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen
>> and then it continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be
>> for both p4 and celeron. any ideas. thanks
>
> Intel has blessed us with way too many flavors of processors. Maybe you
> have a Celeron D, and the BIOS and Vcore supply cannot handle it ? Some
> of the older motherboards are effectively restricted to Northwood
> processors (0.13u) and to the lower
> FSB values. Newer Prescott (90nm) processors are a problem.
>
> You can look up your processor via the SSPEC (SLxxx code on the box
> somewhere), or the longer order code - see processorfinder.intel.com
> .
>
> The Intel pricelist is here, and shows you how much product is currently
> shipping as Northwood (0.13u) or Prescott (90nm). Buying a 0.13u processor
> is more likely to work.
>
> http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
>
> Does HP have a support phone number ? Maybe they can tell you exactly what
> works. Or, if you know of a particular Asus retail motherboard that
> matches the design of your board, you can check the cpusupport web page
> for that board, and "proceed by analogy".
>
> (P4G533-LA BIOS upgrade - download and see if it has any release notes as
> to what it fixes.)
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownl...
>
> (specs)
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
>
> I found a picture of the P4G533-LA and it bears a striking resemblance to
> P4GE-VM (see page 13) -
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4ge-vm/e116...
>
> So, go here and look up P4GE-VM, to see what processors will work. There
> are no Prescotts or Celeron D processors listed there:
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...
>
> HTH,
> Paul
October 24, 2004 7:03:16 AM

Irv:
I was just wondering if you found your problem and what was the
solution? I have what sounds to be the exact same thing, except mine
started with a USB port problem - I think the plug shorted against
the case. I did try a different power supply but it does the same
thing. I think its the motherboard but I would like to know for sure
before I spend the $154.
Thanks for any help!
Tom
!