oem mb question

i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4 motherboard.
when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen and then it
continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be for both p4 and
celeron. any ideas. thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about question

    In article <uRn9d.7699$pw4.6853@trnddc01>, "Irv" <irving@ktb.net> wrote:

    > i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4 motherboard.
    > when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen and then it
    > continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be for both p4 and
    > celeron. any ideas. thanks

    Intel has blessed us with way too many flavors of processors.
    Maybe you have a Celeron D, and the BIOS and Vcore supply cannot
    handle it ? Some of the older motherboards are effectively
    restricted to Northwood processors (0.13u) and to the lower
    FSB values. Newer Prescott (90nm) processors are a problem.

    You can look up your processor via the SSPEC (SLxxx code on the
    box somewhere), or the longer order code - see processorfinder.intel.com
    ..

    The Intel pricelist is here, and shows you how much product is
    currently shipping as Northwood (0.13u) or Prescott (90nm).
    Buying a 0.13u processor is more likely to work.

    http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

    Does HP have a support phone number ? Maybe they can tell you
    exactly what works. Or, if you know of a particular Asus retail
    motherboard that matches the design of your board, you can
    check the cpusupport web page for that board, and "proceed
    by analogy".

    (P4G533-LA BIOS upgrade - download and see if it has any release
    notes as to what it fixes.)
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-17526-1

    (specs)
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00046449

    I found a picture of the P4G533-LA and it bears a striking
    resemblance to P4GE-VM (see page 13) -

    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4ge-vm/e1166_p4ge-vm.pdf

    So, go here and look up P4GE-VM, to see what processors will work.
    There are no Prescotts or Celeron D processors listed there:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    HTH,
    Paul

    hi Paul

    thanks for the response. the chip is a celeron 2.4 and i know it is not a D
    chip. the board is supposed to handle p4 and celeron 400 ghz chips
    (interesting that the name of the board has 533 in it).

    when the power goes on i hear the first beep and less than a second later,
    it starts beeping real fast and a second or two later, the beep becomes
    continuous. i have tried different power supplies and different ram. no
    change. i have tried with nothing connected except the monitor. i tried
    with no ram and the beeps became different so it is something that is being
    checked right after the ram. i am leaning toward a bad motherboard.

    now, by screwing around so much, i broke one of the heatsink hold downs on
    another motherboard. never a dull moment.

    irv

    ">
    >> i have an asus p4g533-la mb which was an oem for hp as an echo4
    >> motherboard. when i put a celeron 2400 in it, it boots to the hp screen
    >> and then it continuously beeps and locks up. board is supposed to be
    >> for both p4 and celeron. any ideas. thanks
    >
    > Intel has blessed us with way too many flavors of processors. Maybe you
    > have a Celeron D, and the BIOS and Vcore supply cannot handle it ? Some
    > of the older motherboards are effectively restricted to Northwood
    > processors (0.13u) and to the lower
    > FSB values. Newer Prescott (90nm) processors are a problem.
    >
    > You can look up your processor via the SSPEC (SLxxx code on the box
    > somewhere), or the longer order code - see processorfinder.intel.com
    > .
    >
    > The Intel pricelist is here, and shows you how much product is currently
    > shipping as Northwood (0.13u) or Prescott (90nm). Buying a 0.13u processor
    > is more likely to work.
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
    >
    > Does HP have a support phone number ? Maybe they can tell you exactly what
    > works. Or, if you know of a particular Asus retail motherboard that
    > matches the design of your board, you can check the cpusupport web page
    > for that board, and "proceed by analogy".
    >
    > (P4G533-LA BIOS upgrade - download and see if it has any release notes as
    > to what it fixes.)
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-17526-1
    >
    > (specs)
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00046449
    >
    > I found a picture of the P4G533-LA and it bears a striking resemblance to
    > P4GE-VM (see page 13) -
    >
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4ge-vm/e1166_p4ge-vm.pdf
    >
    > So, go here and look up P4GE-VM, to see what processors will work. There
    > are no Prescotts or Celeron D processors listed there:
    >
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Irv:
    I was just wondering if you found your problem and what was the
    solution? I have what sounds to be the exact same thing, except mine
    started with a USB port problem - I think the plug shorted against
    the case. I did try a different power supply but it does the same
    thing. I think its the motherboard but I would like to know for sure
    before I spend the $154.
    Thanks for any help!
    Tom

Asus Celeron Hewlett Packard OEM Motherboards Product