Need help with ram upgrade

I want to upgrade my computers ram to the most that it can handle. I have a Medion pentium 3 computer system with mother board SR440BX, with windows xp home installed. It has 2 ram sockets, one has a 128mb ram in it and the other is empty. It says in the manual that it supports max 256mb. can I go over 256mb? Is it safe?

Would it be worth upgrading motherboard? If so would I have to upgrade processor aswell?

Please pst back, thanks

The 440BX chipset is very old, it might be able to handle
more RAM with a BIOS update but if they say 256 MB total,
there is probably a reason.

A PIII CPU is also old. You can buy a new mobo and CPU for
about $200 or maybe a little less, but you'll still have an
old computer. Spend $20 and buy the RAM, it is probably
PC100, Be sure to check for the correct type,

You can buy a new computer from Dell for about $500 with
better specs than what you have now. That system won't have
many upgrade options. For $800-1,000 you can get a very
nice system.

"Jamma" <Jamma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I want to upgrade my computers ram to the most that it can
handle. I have a Medion pentium 3 computer system with
mother board SR440BX, with windows xp home installed. It has
2 ram sockets, one has a 128mb ram in it and the other is
empty. It says in the manual that it supports max 256mb. can
I go over 256mb? Is it safe?

| Would it be worth upgrading motherboard? If so would I
have to upgrade processor aswell?

| Please pst back, thanks

If I were you, I'd spend the $300 or so and get a new mobo, RAM, and
processor. Everything else you have in your system should work on a new
mobo.

courtney sends....