Memory Speed >> CPU Speed ???

Hi.

Would it be a problem, if my memory runs at DDR400 and my CPU is only 266 or
333?

I remember reading something like "because of different FSB there might be
waiting time for CPU or Memory resulting in speed loss" or something. Is
that right?

Thanks for advice
Martin

Martin Weil wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Would it be a problem, if my memory runs at DDR400 and my CPU is only 266 or
> 333?
>
> I remember reading something like "because of different FSB there might be
> waiting time for CPU or Memory resulting in speed loss" or something. Is
> that right?
>
> Thanks for advice
> Martin

For Athlon XPs it's better to have memory and CPU bus speeds synched.

For Pentium 4s, the faster the memory the better.

> For Athlon XPs it's better to have memory and CPU bus speeds synched.
>
> For Pentium 4s, the faster the memory the better.

Ok, so I have two choices here:

CL2-3-3-6-1T or CL2-2-2-5-1T (one piece 512 MB). Which would be better
(i guess the second one). And: Should I go for 2x 256 MB instead ?

Thanks
Martin

Btw: I have AMD Athlon XP 2400+ on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Martin Weil wrote:
>> For Athlon XPs it's better to have memory and CPU bus speeds synched.
>>
>> For Pentium 4s, the faster the memory the better.
>
> Ok, so I have two choices here:
>
> CL2-3-3-6-1T or CL2-2-2-5-1T (one piece 512 MB). Which would be
> better (i guess the second one). And: Should I go for 2x 256 MB
> instead ?
>
> Thanks
> Martin

If you want to run in dual channel either get 2x256 or 2x512.

Also, if you get the pc3200/ddr400 it will 1) offer you and upgrade path and
2) have a better resale value than the pc2100/ddr266

Shannon

Yes; not a good setup.

--
DaveW