A7N8X-E deluxe/memory question

I just built a new box on this board and used 2 X 512 PC3200 in slots 1 & 3
of (can't remember name right now) ram that was on Asus's site as tested and
reccomended.

Everything appears to be running very well, but at boot up, the screen says
ram is 200mhz in dual channel mode.

I have bios set for auto for memory and optimal.

Shouldn't the PC3200 be running at 400mhz?

If I go in and select, what is it, std to set the ram parameters, what
should it be?

Thanks for any assistance.

Athlon XP 3200+

Antec case with 400watt ps

Plextor DVDRW

Plextor CDRW

Iomega ZIP

Board audio

2 160 gig HDD's in SATA non-raid
6 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe memory question

    "Muerta" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    >I just built a new box on this board and used 2 X 512 PC3200 in slots 1 & 3
    >of (can't remember name right now) ram that was on Asus's site as tested
    >and reccomended.
    >
    > Everything appears to be running very well, but at boot up, the screen
    > says ram is 200mhz in dual channel mode.
    >
    > I have bios set for auto for memory and optimal.
    >
    > Shouldn't the PC3200 be running at 400mhz?
    >
    > If I go in and select, what is it, std to set the ram parameters, what
    > should it be?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    > Athlon XP 3200+
    >
    > Antec case with 400watt ps
    >
    > Plextor DVDRW
    >
    > Plextor CDRW
    >
    > Iomega ZIP
    >
    > Board audio
    >
    > 2 160 gig HDD's in SATA non-raid

    to further the dilemma, NVidia system utility says:

    Memory voltage-2.70 volts (correct)

    Says speed is 400

    But speed bar says "2,700" Ain't that supposed to be 3,200?

    Bus speeds are correct at 400 DDR

    AGP at 66 (Got an ATI 9800 pro AIW)

    went into bios, and no matter what I change the settings to, "user defined",
    & "aggressive", & "100%", it still comes out in bios setup as frquency
    200mhz.

    Am I interpreting something wrong here? I ain't no pro and I don't play one
    on the net.

    Any help appreciated.

    DDR RAM runs (in effect) at twice the clock speed, so an indicated
    memory clock speed of 200MHz is correct for your setup.

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:24:07 -0500, "Muerta" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >I just built a new box on this board and used 2 X 512 PC3200 in slots 1 & 3
    >of (can't remember name right now) ram that was on Asus's site as tested and
    >reccomended.
    >
    >Everything appears to be running very well, but at boot up, the screen says
    >ram is 200mhz in dual channel mode.
    >
    >I have bios set for auto for memory and optimal.
    >
    >Shouldn't the PC3200 be running at 400mhz?
    >
    >If I go in and select, what is it, std to set the ram parameters, what
    >should it be?
    >
    >Thanks for any assistance.
    >
    >Athlon XP 3200+
    >
    >Antec case with 400watt ps
    >
    >Plextor DVDRW
    >
    >Plextor CDRW
    >
    >Iomega ZIP
    >
    >Board audio
    >
    >2 160 gig HDD's in SATA non-raid

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    Thank you very much, Peter. I had never encountered that before and it threw
    me into a tailspin.

    "Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    > DDR RAM runs (in effect) at twice the clock speed, so an indicated
    > memory clock speed of 200MHz is correct for your setup.

    No problem. Your system utility is also reporting your CPU speed
    correctly. The numbers in Athlon XP nomenclature refer to theoretical
    (but reasonably close, in practice) processing power equivalence to a
    Pentium 4. An Athlon XP 3200+ will run most benchmarks about as fast
    as a 3.2 GHz P4, but its clock speed is, as the utility notes, around
    2.7 GHz..

    Peter R. Fletcher wrote:

    > No problem. Your system utility is also reporting your CPU speed
    > correctly. The numbers in Athlon XP nomenclature refer to theoretical
    > (but reasonably close, in practice) processing power equivalence to a
    > Pentium 4. An Athlon XP 3200+ will run most benchmarks about as fast
    > as a 3.2 GHz P4, but its clock speed is, as the utility notes, around
    > 2.7 GHz..

    Show me some benchmarks where this chip runs as fast as the Intel
    please.

    regards

    @ndrew

    On 13 Oct 2004 18:34:31 +0950, "@ndrew"
    <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote:

    >Show me some benchmarks where this chip runs as fast as the Intel
    >please.

    There's so many, you should be able to find them yourself without too
    much trouble.

    Cheers,

    Guy

    "If you want to find out what is wrong