P4C800E-Deluxe use of 82801ER controller

I built a very nice photo-editing machine around a P4C800E-Deluxe mobo for a
friend and I have a question about the system's handling of SATA. She has a
74gb Raptor attached to the ICH5(R?) controller that is her C: drive
containing XP Pro, and in Device Manager, there is no "Intel(R) 82801ER SATA
RAID Controller" listed under "SCSI and RAID controllers" as is present on
my Gigabyte GA-8KNXP mobo, and there is no IASTOR.SYS driver anywhere on the
computer.

On the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, there is an option in the Award bios to operate
SATA drives either through the IDE controller or via 82801ER. I'm assuming
the Raptor on this Asus system is using the IDE controller, but on this Asus
mobo is there a better option? Does it really matter?

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

Hi,
no the RAPTOR will be using the Intel(R) 82801EB, which you will find under
IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers.

Don't need any drivers except WinXP SP/1 and the *Chipset* drivers for the
ASUS.
--
Wayne ][