Laptop vs. USB keyboard

matt

When I added a USB adapter to my laptop to use both an
external mouse & keyboard, something caused my laptop's
keyboard to not function unless the external laptop is
connected.

With the external attached:
klmnop

Without the external attached:
230n6-

The "internal" laptop's keyboard is not being reognizd
properly without the external one attached.

Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 1200.

THANKS!!

Without the exterenal keyboard, press NumLock...
For some reason defaults to NumLock=On as it would normally be when using
an 105-key keyboard...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Matt" <mc_kenna@prodigy.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> When I added a USB adapter to my laptop to use both an
> external mouse & keyboard, something caused my laptop's
> keyboard to not function unless the external laptop is
> connected.
>
> With the external attached:
> klmnop
>
> Without the external attached:
> 230n6-
>
> The "internal" laptop's keyboard is not being reognizd
> properly without the external one attached.
>
> Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 1200.
>
> THANKS!!

i had similar problems. one the synaptec software doesn't like other
programs microsoft intellipoint and intellitype remove the synaptec
software. second the microsoft keyboards are ps/2 and do not function
correctly with usb adapters. only the ms natural elite keyboard is usb/ps/2
and hooks in correctly with xp and usb. you need to get synaptec drivers
for win xp to load after the ms software to get baclk the original laptop
keyboard and touchpad.
i have the 1200xl118 and compaq said not to up grade it past me. second new
compaqs use alps software for keyboard and touchpad. this software does not
go when microsoft or logitech software loads but takes the new software for
some of its drivers. you need to go to registry to removal all to make a
clean install.
"Matt" <mc_kenna@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> When I added a USB adapter to my laptop to use both an
> external mouse & keyboard, something caused my laptop's
> keyboard to not function unless the external laptop is
> connected.
>
> With the external attached:
> klmnop
>
> Without the external attached:
> 230n6-
>
> The "internal" laptop's keyboard is not being reognizd
> properly without the external one attached.
>
> Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 1200.
>
> THANKS!!

---